New vs. Old Bows

ratherbhuntin

I have a buddy that is looking to get into bowhunting. He has around a $500-600 budget. I was wanting to get opinions and advice on whether it would be better to get a lower end new bow or a higher end bow that is a 2-3 years old. I know this is a loaded question and there are a ton of different options and factors to consider. I think it would be better to get a higher end bow that is a couple years old. Does the technology change that much from year to year, where a new lower end bow (i.e. Diamond) would be better than a higher end bow (i.e. Bowtech Destroyer) that is two years old?

I would agree with you. Get a higher end bow that is a couple years old. I'm shooting a Hoyt Alphamax that is a few years old and I honestly can say I don't believe there's a big enough difference in my bow vs my brothers brand new Element. Especially not enough that would justify me dropping $1200.
It's just as light as the element. Just as durable and just as accurate.
The ONLY difference I can really feel is after the shot. His bow is just a bit more "dead" than mine. But, if you're buddy is new, he wouldn't be able to tell the difference if he shot them back to back.

Good luck.

I notice a huge change in new bows. For example no torque and I don't even need a stabilizier. so I had to get a paper weight stablizier to keep my wrist brand on.

I agree that the Manufacturers seem to have put their focus into making the new bows "dead in the hand" in the last couple years. I just picked up a 2013 Elite Pure, and I'm shooting better than I have ever shot with it.

That being said, there are quite a few bows out there that have both speed and stability that have been out a couple years.

I would recommend your buddy go to a local Archery shop and shoot a bunch of different bows. Go with what feels natural and works. Do some research, he could get a helluva used bow for 600 bucks

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

One thing to consider also is customer service and warranty stuff... May be better off with a higher end bow as far as those things go, but where it's older he may be more likely to need to replace parts... It's kind of a dual edged sword.

Another thing I've noticed is that if I don't buy the best I possibly can, I just want to buy the better thing the next year... When I buy the best I possibly can, I don't have that urge as much (only every 3 or so years).

If it were me in that situation, I'd look at a used rig in the big 3 (Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech) realm.

I have an alphamax 32 if he's interested, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can get ya details.

I would buy a used high end bow. I have an 06 Switchback XT that is a stone cold killer !! I also have a 2012 Mathews Z7Xtreme That cost me $750 bare bow that can't hold a candle to my Switchback XT. I think I'm going to sell the Z7X because no matter what I do I can not shoot it like the Switchback XT. I have about $1300 in it and now I never use it. Good luck.

I shoot a Mathews Q2 and love it. I think it's 8 to 10yrs old. I won't shoot a new bow cuz I can't afford one. I would probably really love it so I ain't going there.

Hi All-

I am said "Buddy".

Many thanks to those that replied to the OP- Just thought I'd follow up with my decision...

After carefully evaluating & shooting several new high and mid-range package bows (Diamond/Bowtech, PSE, Bear) at the local Sportsman's Wrhs I ended up following everyone's general advice and picked up a lightly used Bear Attack (top of the Bear line for 2010 I believe) on eBay.

It came loaded with all the goodies (top end Trophy Ridge everything: Judge sight, 5 arrow alm. 2 pc quiver, TR 6" Stabilizer, and a drop away rest), along with 5 carbon express arrows, 3 Muzzy BHs/2TTs, a Scott release (backup quality), and an extra pack of unopened BHs (so-so quality), TMD for 5 bills. Had it serviced at the local shop and set up for my specs. Also purchased a new release, pack of target tips, and an inexpensive target (total for service, release, tips, and target was another hundred- so there's the budget).

It is definitely a better quality setup than what was available new in the mid-range packages. I would recommend the same approach to anyone else looking to get into bow hunting. Just make sure you shoot the bows your looking at first (it was VERY helpful). I will be able to hunt with this setup, as is, for the next several seasons and then figure out what I want to do next (maybe nothing).

Overall, I couldn't be happier! The Bear Attack is light, quiet, accurate, and FAST (guys at the shop's indoor range were surprised).

Thanks for the wisdom/opinions gentlemen and good luck this season!

Bowtech Allegiance... my favorite bow to this day. pretty cheap and it is sweeeeet. BUT i did just upgrade to a Hoyt Spyder 34 and it is sweet too ha... but quite a lot more $$$$$

I have a BowTech Liberty VFT from 05 I think. I bought it brand new and added another $400 in accessories to it. I've drawn 4 bow hunts since then and have killed 3 animals with it.This year I thought about breaking down and getting a new rig but when we went out to shoot the 3d the other day I was spot on and my partner said why would get something new.The bow has held up and is just a dream to shoot and 2 of my partners shoot 2012 Bowtechs which I have shot and tho they are real sweet to shoot , they just don't feel another $1000.00 better than what I'm shooting now...I will get another one soon , but with my daughters now hunting it will be only if I need a new one...I would say your friend should definitely shoot any used bow to make sure it fits right and feels great, other wise a new bow from your local pro shop with their advice can go way beyond words in help...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom