New wall tent ????

huntzall

I just purchased a 12x14 Davis wall tent. they provided a canvas bag to store it in. I was wondering how everyone else stores theres in order to keep the mice out? What's everyones opinion on this tent?

Partner/I have had a wall tent for over 20 yrs now. Every time we come back from a trip we hang it up dry for a few days. Roll it up and put in bag in a dry warm place. No problems.

Mice, Well traps and sleep on cot above.

Get yourself some heavy duty plastic boxes to store it in. The mice only chew holes in it because they can smell food on it from you cooking in or near it. If you keep it in a plastic box, they cant get to it to chew on it.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

I have been using wall tents for 22 years and have never had a problem with mice. Keep it clean and dry and it will last a very long time. I purchased another one last year from Davis Tents, they make a very nice product.

"Keep yer powder dry n yer eye on the skyline!"

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-10 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]I've got a cat that keeps the mice down, but if I was worried about them getting to my tent, I'd use something along the lines of a large garbage can with a tight lid to store it in.

Davis makes a hell of a tent!

tent1.jpg

We built a pair of wooden boxes to store the tent and frame in. Reinforced corners, hinged lid, 2X2's across the bottom to keep it out of the mud, and a handle on each end. Stores easily, packs in the truck like a dream and the boxes double as a pantry and work station in camp when the tent is set up.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-10 AT 10:07PM (MST)[p]Although I dont own one (want one bad though) I would get a big plastic rubbermaid tub that it will fit in....I would then drill a whole bunch of small holes (1/8" maybe)in it so that it will breath while storing...With canvas mold/mildew is the enemy...Make sure it's dry before storing...

NOTE : Take tent out of rubbermaid before drilling holes...:)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

infinitecircles idea is even better...Good use of space while camping...And you can easily build it so it's able to breathe...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Anybody know how heavy these davis wall tents are? Anybody ever pack them in on horse back before? I'm looking to get a couple knew ones for this season. Any preferred dealers to buy from and prices?

Thanks for any info,

-KILLSHOT Productions Guides & Outfitters-

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-10 AT 03:29PM (MST)[p]I have the 12X14 and it weighs just over 90# packs real nice if you roll it so the weight is distributed equally.

which frame/pole set up did you go with? and is that weight total with the poles/frame or just the canvas?

-KILLSHOT Productions Guides & Outfitters-

I have a set up very similar to infinite circles. i have the 16x20, and without those two handles, carrying and lifting into the truck would be a much harder ordeal. Plus, like mentioned, you can use the container as a work station and dry storage, instead of hauling another box out.

My dad has a Yakima wall tent internal poles 12x14. We like it a lot, and it has seen a lot of use. It will be set up for about 12 days, (maybe more) this September along with my camper.

Make sure you let it dry thoroughly and you will have no issues with mildew. My dad keeps his in a plastic tote. I do like the idea of a wooden box to double as a camp box.

KILLSHOT - you can get the Davis tents from them. Do a search for Davis tent and awning. They are in Denver. You will have to get the external pole design tent in order to pack. The internal pole design will be too much. With the external pole design, you just have to pack the canvas, and cut the poles when you find a place to camp. Which brings up another point, you have to have a place picked out with good trees to make poles!

Not sure how a guy would pack a stove though?

Later,

Marcial

I went with the internal frame. That is just the canvas, when i pack it in I use logs for the frame, and use a calapsable stove. The Colorado door with the screen is awesome.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom