Nice Set of New Mexico Sheds

H

HerbNM

I wish I had found these

47faa87c33406a6c.jpg

...wish I'd a found them, too. I'll get my chance on Friday: do a little shed hunting and turkey scouting at the same time.

Didn't see any turkeys, got snowed on, and found twelve sheds, four matched sets and four singles. None as nice as yours though.

4801385f786955c7.jpg

4801387f78c8c239.jpg

480138a579120d32.jpg

vini,

Good luck to you, too. I look forward to seeing a pic on here with your boys smiling over your 2008 gobbler(s).

NMPaul,

North Central, but I don't think it is any dryer this year than it has been in past years. Last year was wetter, but as I recall, the previous three years were much dryer.

Thanks Mozey. I am down in SE NM and it has been real dry. Every storm seems to miss us this year.

Damn Mozey, looks like you had a hell of a weekend. We went out again and found a couple small freshies and one busted up 330" class 6. Dry as hell and no turkeys again...no water. Couldn't believe how fresh this one was, red but dried up. Looks like he dropped it on Friday or Saturday morning. I stay out of the bedding areas and away from the elk I do glass up so no, this was not off a bull I pushed. Found it out in an open park. Did glass a couple more raghorns still carrying bone...Hope that snow melts off for you guys Vin.

LittleWahoo030.jpg

Wow, I've never seen an elk shed that red before; only once on a deer that some other shed hunters showed me...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-08 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]Went back in yesterday to do a little turkey hunting and haul out the first twelve sheds that I found friday. Heres a pic of the first twelve all together:

4806be7f089418f9.jpg

Found two more on the very spot where I killed a turkey last year. Oddly enough, they are not matches. Both are righties with the G2 completely broken off:

4806bf380d3434da.jpg

Finally, walking back up the hill after picking up the last one that I marked a waypoint for a Friday, I found this one:

4806bfcf11f3077d.jpg

Add to that four small muley sheds, and packing all these back to my truck became a major task. Fighting the heat, wind, and dehydration, I didn't deliver the last load until a couple minutes past midnight. As mentioned elsewhere, while leap frogging the second and third load over a ridge, I nearly stepped on two tom turkeys. I think they were mocking me...

Cool to see that your dad got one, anyway. My dad doesn't understand my obsession. To be honest, I don't either.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom