Nightforce scope

Ryry

Looking at purchasing a new scope. I would like to know if 50 or 56 mm would be best. Also what reticle type do most like. I was liking the r-2 one I believe.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Ryan

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-14 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]What gun are you putting it on ?
8324image.jpg
If ifs a heavy gun like this one. It weights over 34 lbs and it doesn't really matter. I would go with the 56 mm. Like the one in the picture. If you are going to carry it I would go with the 50 mm . Zero stop is nice. Mil dot wind age and elevation hash marks are nice if you don't won't to dial your scope in.

I would go with the 50 mm for a gun you are going to carry in the field. Nightforce is a great scope. If I had the money I would have one on every gun. I have one elk rifle with a 40 mm and another with a 50 mm scope. There is a place for every one of them. But in most cases the 40 mm gathers enough light. Both the other scopes are Leupolds. Sometimes the bigger 50 mm and the turrets are a pain and get in the way.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-14 AT 08:03AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-14 AT 07:59?AM (MST)

I wish they would make a 3-15X40 with small knobs...that would be the perfect hunting scope in my opinion. Plenty of ability to shoot something at 1000 yards, but small enough to not require its own special case. It might be coming cause I think they just came out with a 2.5-10X40 that is exactly what I am talking about in size, but I want that 3-15 magnification range. 5.5-22X does not increase my shooting capability at 1000 yards, but really makes it hard to find something at 100-200.

The nightforce glass is very good and 40mm is probably all anyone would need for elk hunting. If you are going to be hunting at night by moonlight, then get the 56. (I have the 56 on my 338 lapua and I wish I would have bought the 50). Of course I also wish that gun was accuate and weighed half as much, but thats wishin.

Also I like the newer velocity reticles because I like the 1MOA hash marks for windage. I have never really liked mil-dots...they are too far apart. I think they make a MOAR that has MOA hash marks in all directions and thats what I like, but its also nice to have a reticle to compensate quickly out to like 500 yards or so. I also think the NP-R2 hash marks are too far apart, I like the NP-R1 better, but still prefer the MOAR so that you have compensation in 1 MOA increments instead of 2 or 5.

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-14 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p] I have 2 nightforces both 5.5x22-56 np-r1 reticles good scopes but for hunting look at the G7 also made by NF for gunwerks..don,t over look the Huskemaw blue daimond either..Danny

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom