Nightforce

Not a pro either but own several and they are my scope brand of choice. What’s your question?

To me, it’s comes down to this…
Assuming you are a hunter:
SHV’s work just fine if you are on a budget. FAR better than most scopes out there and anything from Swaro/Leupold/Vortex. The glass is plenty good enough for any hunting purpose and they are reliable, unlike many/most scopes, especially lightweight ones.

If you can spend a bit more, the NXS line is great too. Better turrets than the SHV. Just don’t go over the 3-15x if you prefer SFP. Too much mag kills your FOV and that’s bad. FOV is important. The 2.5-10x42 is the best lighter weight scope on the market if you don’t need to shoot 800+.

If you must have higher than 15x mag, so you can use it at the range/target situations, go F1, so you can at least use your subtensions without being on max. You won’t, or at least shouldn’t, use higher magnification in the field shooting at an animal

The NX8 line is good, but unnecessary IMO. That said, imo, the 4-32 in F1 is excellent. The 2.5-20 has issues with the eyebox and parralax. It tunnels and gets dark. I’m not a fan. Too much is crammed into that little scope. The 4-32 is much more user friendly, but the last 10-15x is unnecessary IMO. If they made an NX5 it would be a perfect hunting scope.

The ATACR line is wonderful, but the 34mm scope tube is just unnecessary. Makes the scope heavier and needs to be mounted taller. That said, if you don’t mind those downsides, it’s a great scope. Well made AND has great glass. Again, if we’re wishing for stuff, the ATACR line would be all I’d ever buy if they made em in 30mm.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have a 5 x 25 atacr and agree. I see no benefit in the 34mm. Infact we have a couple burris scopes that will give them a run for the money

Not a pro either but own several and they are my scope brand of choice. What’s your question?

To me, it’s comes down to this…
Assuming you are a hunter:
SHV’s work just fine if you are on a budget. FAR better than most scopes out there and anything from Swaro/Leupold/Vortex. The glass is plenty good enough for any hunting purpose and they are reliable, unlike many/most scopes, especially lightweight ones.

If you can spend a bit more, the NXS line is great too. Better turrets than the SHV. Just don’t go over the 3-15x if you prefer SFP. Too much mag kills your FOV and that’s bad. FOV is important. The 2.5-10x42 is the best lighter weight scope on the market if you don’t need to shoot 800+.

If you must have higher than 15x mag, so you can use it at the range/target situations, go F1, so you can at least use your subtensions without being on max. You won’t, or at least shouldn’t, use higher magnification in the field shooting at an animal

The NX8 line is good, but unnecessary IMO. That said, imo, the 4-32 in F1 is excellent. The 2.5-20 has issues with the eyebox and parralax. It tunnels and gets dark. I’m not a fan. Too much is crammed into that little scope. The 4-32 is much more user friendly, but the last 10-15x is unnecessary IMO. If they made an NX5 it would be a perfect hunting scope.

The ATACR line is wonderful, but the 34mm scope tube is just unnecessary. Makes the scope heavier and needs to be mounted taller. That said, if you don’t mind those downsides, it’s a great scope. Well made AND has great glass. Again, if we’re wishing for stuff, the ATACR line would be all I’d ever buy if they made em in 30mm.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your reply
Weight is no issue as my gun is almost 9lbs
Just trying to figure out the glass I want on it

I’ll come see you soon
Sounds perfect. Nightforce are awesome if you are willing to drop some coin. They are one of the few scopes I've found where I can fully utilize the zoom and focus. Top tier glass for sure, and you might possibly break the gun before you do the scope if you drop either lol.

Looking at the nxs 8-32x56 but I don’t know as I’ve never shot a turret scope. Yep I’m old lol
IMO, that’s way too much scope for hunting. 8 is too much on the low end and 32 is way too much on the high end. It’s also F2. Be sure you understand what that means. Your subtensions are only accurate at 32x. So if you ever need to use a wind hold, which is really common, you functionally have to be at max power. Unless you want to be at 16x and double the subtensions, which means remembering to do the math at the moment of truth and also means wider gaps to your holds. The problem with being at 32x when you shoot at an animal is the field of view shrinks so much you will never see your hits and you will have a hell of a time getting back on it if/when you miss or a follow up shot is needed.

This is why I recommended the 3-15 NXS if you want SFP. Otherwise, if you just have to have high mag, get and F1 scope so you can use the subtensions at any power.

Last edited:
Sounds perfect. Nightforce are awesome if you are willing to drop some coin. They are one of the few scopes I've found where I can fully utilize the zoom and focus. Top tier glass for sure, and you might possibly break the gun before you do the scope if you drop either lol.
IMO, the reason to buy a NF is not the glass. The glass is just fine, but there are certainly other choices with arguably better glass. The reason to buy a NF is your second point. There’s nothing tougher or more reliable. You can buy a Swarovski scope with beautiful glass, the higher end Leupolds too, but they won’t hold up like a Nightforce and are made with thin tubes and cheesy parts.

I have my own limits where wind is concerned. I like my hunting reticle simple. I'm 58 and it has worked well so far. Just explaining what I would like in a Nightforce. mtmuley

I have my own limits where wind is concerned. I like my hunting reticle simple. I'm 58 and it has worked well so far. Just explaining what I would like in a Nightforce. mtmuley
Not saying you’re doing it wrong, but I used to say the exact same thing. All I used or wanted were duplex reticles. Then I gave a good reticle with some subtensions a fair chance and I’d never go back now. It’s an amazing and useful tool. Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to learn something new.

Btw, a good reticle also makes a fine field judging tool.

Not saying you’re doing it wrong, but I used to say the exact same thing. All I used or wanted were duplex reticles. Then I gave a good reticle with some subtensions a fair chance and I’d never go back now. It’s an amazing and useful tool. Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to learn something new.

Btw, a good reticle also makes a fine field judging tool.
That all makes perfect sense. I'd still go for the scope I described. Dial elevation if I have to. Wind hold at my discretion. I don't carry a wind meter anyway. Honestly, after shooting extended ranges at steel I figured out what max range I am comfortable on taking a shot at an animal. mtmuley

That all makes perfect sense. I'd still go for the scope I described. Dial elevation if I have to. Wind hold at my discretion. I don't carry a wind meter anyway. Honestly, after shooting extended ranges at steel I figured out what max range I am comfortable on taking a shot at an animal. mtmuley
Your last sentence is critical and no matter the equipment, I wish more would do the same and stick to it in the field.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom