nikon buckmaster

C

champset

I am thinking of purchasing the 3x9 40mm nikon buckmaster scope for my .06 but I am wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on this scope. Thanks in advance.

-Champset

Howdy Champset,
A couple of years ago, my brother called to say that the local Xmart was selling out their Buckmasters for $150. I only knew that they were a $200 scope, and it sounded like a bargain, so I told him to buy me one. He did, I repaid him, and it sat in the box for a year. I eventually bought a Stainless Steel Win. model 70 classic and traded my Buckmaster to my Dad for his silver buckmaster. I love the scope. It is light weight, and that is what I wanted on that rifle. The optics are good, not bad at all for a $200 scope in fact! The silver marrs with mounting easier than Leupold and Burris, but I still think it is worth the $200. Hope you enjoy yours.

Coach

My brother has this exact scope on his .270. I've shot thru it and it is very clear. Seems like its a good buy for the money.
-Raptor

I replied on anougher thread about this. So forgive my redundance.

The Buckmaster I owned, came on a .300RUM Sendero. I went ahead and shot with it for awhile thinking it was a matter of time before it tanked. Well, after about 300 rounds, I replaced it with a Schmidt and Bender. I sold the scope to a guy, that still uses it.

The Buckmaster has about 88% light transmission. You can get the Monarch, with around 92% lt. for $250.00, delivered.

My friend has a Monarch on a A Bolt 7mag. We shoot out to 250 yds. and are able to see bullet holes with his Monarch. I believe his is a 5.5-16x44. It was as clear as my Zeiss Conquest. I hate to admit that, but its true!!

You will not be dissapointed with either Nikon model. I think for a little money, you can get a lot more scope.FWIW

Rangercon;
You are right about the Nikon Monarch being compared with some of the German scopes. Several years ago "Guntest" magazine did a comparsion check with about 8-10 top brand scopes. On clarity and light gathering, the Nikon rated with the Ziess and and Swarvoski scopes. It was rated higher then the leupold scope. Guntest does not except any endorsements from manufactors and any item tested is bought off the shelf at stores to prevent a company from slipping in a upgraded item that can not be purchased by the local hunter. As you know, the Nikon is cheaper then the Leupold and a lot damn cheaper then the German scopes. A very good bargain for the hunter.

RELH

I just cant say enough about the Nikon scope line. Especially the Monarch.

The Optic Zone has a 3-9x40 for $240.00!! That's flat stealing, friend!!

Over at Accurate Reloading, they are conducting a poll to see if anyone reports a Nikon that has failed due to recoil. Interesting results. As of today, no one knows of a Nikon that has failed due to recoil. That includes some .338WM's and a .375 H&H.

Nikon's CS is supposed to be good as well. Ive only dealt with them as far as answering my stupid questions go. No complaints as of yet.

Yes, they are a great value for the hunter.

Rangercon;
I have been using a Nikon 3X9 40mm scope on my 25-06 for the past 15 years and I love that scope. Now for a little long range shooting infro. for that scope. I use 120 gr. Noslers loaded to 3,000 FPS and sight my rifle 3 inches high at 100 yards. On 9 power a muley buck's chest will fit inside the crosswire and the vertical post, where it goes from thick to thin wire, at 400 yards. Place the crosswire on the top of his back, and if his brisket touches the point where the thin vertical wire becomes thick, he is 400 yards away. If his body is larger then those two points, he is under 350 yards and you can use the normal crosswire for aim point, if his body is smaller then those two points, you know he is over 400-450 yards and should pass up the shot under most circumstances.
Now for the good part, where the thick vertical wire meets the thin vertical wire, below the crosswire, is dead on for your 400 yard shot. I have used this second aiming point for my 400 yard shots for one shot kills when I could not get any closer to the buck. This should work for rifles from 25-06 to 300 mag. when shooting a spire point bullet at or around 3,000 FPS.

RELH

RELH

Good system you have there. I have an infatuation for optics, always have. Had some of the best Euro scopes, and some of the worst!

I prejudged the Nikon scopes incorrectly. As I stated before, I bought a .300 RUM Sendero that had the Buck Master. Not sure how long the previous owner had used it. I told my friend, "I cant wait to get this pig home, and throw this piece of junk off this fine rifle". Friend told me to give the scope a chance. I laughed and said "Yeah, I let the UM take it apart!"

At that time I was close to a range and I shot about 8 days a month. I figured it would last 100 rounds. POI on that scope NEVER moved, unless I changed a bullet/powder combo. 300-400 rounds, still kicking. Got a Schmidt and Bender and sold the scope to a young man around here who put it on a .270 and loves it. Even the "clicks" were right on. The adjustments were smooth and accurate. Finger turrets, no coin slots.

So you could say that Iam a "converted" Nikon fan. I recommend them at every chance. Thats the only scope I would use, if it were not for my foolish tendency to buy Euro's. LOL

The Nikon Venturer binos are a superb as well. A little big and bulky compared to the Swaro EL's or Leica's, but optically equal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom