NM 2009/2010 unit 34 elk regulations

N

nmhs

Here are the prososed elk regulations for unit 34. One regulation proposes in increase in 450 rifle elk tags while the next proposal states they need to reduce the amount of tags due to the sustainable harvest being exceeded. I know there is a lot of pressure on the NMDGF to allow more elk tags in this unit because of the private land owners but it seems there regulations are contradicting each other.........

GMU 34: Increase rifle permits in the 2 general rifle hunts, from 950 to 1200 permits and from 1000 to 1200 permits
and add a Youth-Only hunt with 50 Forked-Antlered Deer permits.

Subsequently, sustainable harvest has been exceeded.
The SE area suggests a reduction in the youth only ES
licenses from 150 to 100 in order to reduce over-harvest
during the rut.

I think you got the elk and deer proposed regs mixed up. They are proposing a reduction in the youth ES elk hunt due to the extremely high success rate and an increase in deer tags.

It sounds like they're trying to do to 34 what they've been doing in 6c for the last ten years "DESIMATE THE HERD".
Read through the rule change proposal for 6c they increased the number of tags over the last ten years because of ranching and agricultral intrest felt that the sustainable numbers were to high and now there's a disclaimer right in the proclimation that says elk numbers are low with scattered populations. But the USFS and local ranchers still feel the herd is to large.
If they continue to manage the herds the way they have what once was a quality unit where you could see elk every day of your hunt is going to become a very difficult place to harvest an animal.

yep your right, I read the new proposed regs late at night and then posted this am. I should have re-read to make sure I knew what I was talking about. Although I still feel that NMDGF is playing into politics in unit 34, I appreciate the correction. NMHS

In my opinion, they have also been doing this in Unit 15. I hunted there for cow elk three years in a row 2001-2003. Each year the number of cow tags was rediculously high, which admittedly is why I put in for those hunts. The first year we saw elk everywhere. The next two years we saw very few. Other hunters were experiencing the same thing.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom