NM 52

Weimer

Picked up a late October elk 52 year. First time hunting New Mexico, so I’m pretty excited about it. I don’t want hotspot anybody but have some general questions.

I plan on taking a set of tire chains down there, but was wondering if it would be worthwhile borrowing a four wheeler. Is a ATV needed? Do the roads stay decent?

I have a Davis go tent and a seek outside tepee. If you had to take one which one would it be? Worst case scenario I could take both.

What’s the best place to get fuel and any restaurant recommendations in that area?

If your life depended on shooting at 350+ bull where would you go and why?Coordinates helpful.
Just trying to sneak that one in.?

Sounds like the elk can be damn near anywhere in that unit from the wilderness to the pinyon juniper area in the east. Worthwhile packing in to the wilderness stay at night or two or stay mobile?

If your life depends on shooting a 350 bull in unit 52 you aren’t gonna make past October. That unit we call the land of the raghorns. There are some descent bulls there early but they move out to unit 4 about the time of your hunt. Good thing is there is a lot of elk and lots of bulls and it’s a real fun hunt. But realistic expectations should be a big 5x5 or 280-300 6x6. It’s mange’s for an opportunity unit not a quality unit.

Roads can be very bad atv or side by side will help. I would take the better of the 2 tents, snow in late October isn’t uncommon. Wilderness area is beautiful but small so not sure packing in would be worth it but maybe spike out for a day or two if you find elk there.

I haven’t hunted there in many years but it was always a very fun hunt, enjoy.

If your life depends on shooting a 350 bull in unit 52 you aren’t gonna make past October. That unit we call the land of the raghorns. There are some descent bulls there early but they move out to unit 4 about the time of your hunt. Good thing is there is a lot of elk and lots of bulls and it’s a real fun hunt. But realistic expectations should be a big 5x5 or 280-300 6x6. It’s mange’s for an opportunity unit not a quality unit.

Roads can be very bad atv or side by side will help. I would take the better of the 2 tents, snow in late October isn’t uncommon. Wilderness area is beautiful but small so not sure packing in would be worth it but maybe spike out for a day or two if you find elk there.

I haven’t hunted there in many years but it was always a very fun hunt, enjoy.
Appreciate it. I’m more of an any legal bull kind of guy anyway. Lol I’m looking forward to checking out New Mexico and having a good time.

Haven’t been up there in a while, but if the Chile Line Depot is still open their food is AWESOME! Fuel is a drive anyway you go (Chama, Taos, Ojo, etc.) but Taos is good if you have other camp needs/supplies.

Unit 52 is one of my favorite places to hunt elk. Have not dran that tag in several years. You have been given good info. Lots of bulls the biggest I have seen there was. 300-310 class bull a friend took. Snow can be an issue in the later hunts so plan accordingly. Have fun is some great country.

Yeah, I've seen 1 bull over 310" in 10 years of hunting 52. Our biggest have always been in that 300-305" range. And since I watched that bull in my spotter for over an hour, I got to see him from every angle. He was a legit 350". And of course I have buddies who I trust that have also hunted/seen 330"+ bulls, and I can't not believe them...so they do exist. But, shooting a 290" bull every year isn't realistic either....especially on a 5-day hunt....unless you put 3-4 solid days of scouting into it, in very deep terrain, and have the opportunity to tie one to a tree for opening day....then you could be consistently successful in Unit 52 with a "top end" bull for that unit. And even then, the Sat AM stampede could mess up any well laid plans. Snow has been an issue 3 of 10 years for us. Then add another 2 years with well above average temps. 5 of 10 years has been good-excellent bugling and a fun hunt. Anything can happen at 10,000' in Mid-Oct...and it unfortunately puts a huge damper on the last bit of the breeding.

ATV isn't mandatory, but I would always have one with me. They're cold to operate in the morning, but if the roads are in bad shape, you'll be glad you have one.

Yeah, I've seen 1 bull over 310" in 10 years of hunting 52. Our biggest have always been in that 300-305" range. And since I watched that bull in my spotter for over an hour, I got to see him from every angle. He was a legit 350". And of course I have buddies who I trust that have also hunted/seen 330"+ bulls, and I can't not believe them...so they do exist. But, shooting a 290" bull every year isn't realistic either....especially on a 5-day hunt....unless you put 3-4 solid days of scouting into it, in very deep terrain, and have the opportunity to tie one to a tree for opening day....then you could be consistently successful in Unit 52 with a "top end" bull for that unit. And even then, the Sat AM stampede could mess up any well laid plans. Snow has been an issue 3 of 10 years for us. Then add another 2 years with well above average temps. 5 of 10 years has been good-excellent bugling and a fun hunt. Anything can happen at 10,000' in Mid-Oct...and it unfortunately puts a huge damper on the last bit of the breeding.
Is there still bugling happening at the end of October?

There is a spot that has 3 or 4 springs close together I will try and find it on my GPS and send you the location, We had friends sitting on it a few times and they took some Bulls. It always had lots tracks around it. I think you will like the area,

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom