NM Antelope and Drought

JFWRC

Very Active Member
I have been on the road in different parts of the state and from my perspective, antelope numbers appear to down.......way down.

Have folks out there noted the same? I am very concerned about the wisdom in having a hunt this year.......seems the drought is taking a huge toll on NM's wildlife.

If there were ever a year to hug a landowner and ask them to keep their water systems on, it is now. The livestock inventory in NM is way down. Some ranchers have sold their entire herds. Shutting off water would make perfect sense to conserve water. I have been asking them if they are going to turn them off at every opportunity. Most say NO, they are leaving them on for wildlife.

Jim

Antelope numbers way down here too,tho I have had a buck and 3 does hanging around the last week. Elk have been hitting the stock tank nightly. My water is for wildlife,tho I am bring in some cattle at end of month,give a neighboring rancher a break. Most here have cut way back,but some just don't get it and their cattle are suffering as are their rangelands. Funny thing is most of these ranchers came here during the dust bowl and left what they did to their lands. Now their doing the same thing,never learned that lesson from grandpa....
JW, I think they should shut down alot of antelope and deer hunts for a few years,but it won't happen.

Real bad down in 34. Some creeks that run year round are now dry for the last few months.
Several ranchers are selling their cows. Tag reduction would be in order.

Antelope numbers in west of Amistad tend to be on par. They disappeared all winter but are back. I drive roads all day everyday on a 900 square mile area west of Amistad. Saw two sets of twins this morning which are the first I have seen this year. Pretty cool to see that this morning. Counted 138 antelope by 10 AM. Bucks tend to have a touch more mass on average compared to last year.

As far as water for wildlife I am seeing the opposite that you are JFWRC. All the ranchers in this area that do not currently have cattle have shut the water off. They say there is no need for water since there are no cattle. Just another expense for them. They could care less for the wildlife and do not have a problem telling you so either. It kinda disgust me.

If anyone has drawn a ranch out west of Amistad and to the north and south from there let me know. If it is a ranch that I have wells on I will give you any info that I may have. Just shoot me a PM.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-13 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]That is good news bout the antelope LCHC:)

I honestly hope I am wrong.....just not seeing them like usual. Went to Clovis Monday and saw a few and I mean a few way preg does.....no babies yet. It is that time.

Jimbo

>it's drier than a popcorn fart
>here in Socorro

Same here in Catron Co. ,but today some thunderheads and rain....in the distance.

>>it's drier than a popcorn fart
>>here in Socorro
>
>Same here in Catron Co. ,but
>today some thunderheads and rain....in
>the distance.

Rain and hail today!!! And very wet for a change.
3 does and young buck antelope here today again. I hope they stick around. And I've about given up on drawing a tag here...but I get to watch them. Half dozen cow elk too this morning.

lchcguide. is there a chance you work near the CO2 plant in Bueyeros? the antelope herds around wagon mound look healthy as ever. I was working just north of tres piedras yesterday and snow was coming down and off and on rain so the drought must not be that bad. southern nm must be a different story.

dmax,I dont cover that plant or that particular field but I do cover the field that Oxy operates that is east from Bueyeros to Amistad and points north and south also.

lchc, thanks for the reply. i was just wondering because that area north and west of bueyeros is a place i was looking into doin some scouting in the near future.

Having a antelope tag on that ranch would be unfortunate. Would bet most of the goats have moved on from there.

Sometimes you got to load them up on the trailer and take them to the auction, or buy feed.

Looks like LO should be hugging the average sportsman...Don't they get LO tags to offset stuff like this?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, JUNE 18, 2013:

STATE AGENCIES, NONPROFIT JOIN FORCES TO PROVIDE
WATER TO NM WILDLIFE DURING DROUGHT

ALBUQUERQUE ? Two state agencies and a nonprofit organization are teaming up to help provide water to New Mexico?s wildlife populations during the drought.

New Mexico Department of Game and Fish (NMDGF) has made a one-time provision of $40,000 to New Mexico Department of Agriculture (NMDA) to help the state?s ranchers defray the extra cost of hauling or pumping water during the drought.

NMDGF Director Jim Lane and NMDA Director/Secretary Jeff Witte made the announcement today during the mid-year meeting of the New Mexico Joint Stockmen, which is comprised largely of ranchers.

?Anytime a rancher provides water for his cattle, there will be wildlife that benefit from that water, also,? Lane said. ?We recognize the contributions landowners make that go a long way toward keeping our wildlife healthy, especially during the drought, and this money is to say thank you for that.??

NMDGF is primarily funded by the sale of licenses to hunt, fish and trap game species in the state, not by general taxpayer dollars.

The money will pass through NMDA to the New Mexico Association of Conservation Districts (NMACD), a nonprofit organization that represents the shared interests of the state?s 47 soil and water conservation districts (SWCD). SWCDs work with landowners through conservation planning and assistance to benefit the soil, water, air, plants and animals in a way that results in productive lands and healthy ecosystems.

On a first-come, first-served basis, individual ranchers will be eligible for up to $350 to pay for such things as fuel to haul water or to pump groundwater. Neither NMDGF, NMDA, NMACD, nor any of the SWCDs will withhold a percentage for the administration of the funds.

?This money will go straight to the ranchers in the state who are working hard to protect not only their cattle during the drought, but also the state?s wildlife population ? a large percentage of which can be found on land where cattle are grazed,? NMDA Director/Secretary Jeff Witte said.

Part of the mission of NMDGF is to ?conserve, regulate, propagate and protect the wildlife and fish within the state of New Mexico.? NMDA?s mission is to protect and serve New Mexico, including its citizens who are involved in agriculture.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom