NM Bear Season... again...

W

WayCool

As I stated a week or two ago... I have requested harvest data from NM DG&F .. I have not received it yet.. but I have been assured that I will very soon.

Here is a post from the UKC board from George Hobbs and NM Houndsman Assn.

George Hobbs
at 2003/03/23, 00:40:26
The new Game Commission in New Mexico is going to reopen this year's bear season at the next commission meeting, April 3, in Albuquerque, NM. The meeting will be at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, 2401 12th St. NW, Albuquerque, beginning at 9am.
What they are likely to do is take away the August, September and 1st half of October hunting, leaving October 15 to November 15. All New Mexico hound hunters need to make this meeting.

George Hobbs
New Mexico Houndsmen Association

Steve Lithgow
http://www.waycoolkennels.com

Sounds like you better be there. I hope you don't lose that early season. I sure would like to come down there in August or September. Good luck.

Waycool, That is way too much. I thought they would just take the 2 bear limit away and maybe the August season. Hopefully you will get them to change their minds if 1,000 dog rigs show up in Santa Fe or wherever they have their meetings. Good luck to you in keeping this thing reasonable, my best wishes go with you. Due to a work conflict I won't be able to make it. That will most likely be in your favor anyway, I come across worse in person than I do on a computer screen. Of course them pinko's might like the hot pink speedo and bear skin thong?

Ed

x( x( x(

I'll be there.

x( x( x(

Nothing like turning the dogs loose during the height of the Elk Rifle and deer seasons.

C'mon Ed show the Bear Watch folks what you do with your bear skins.

af

Steve,
I am sorry to hear about the situation down there. It seems like it is a constant battle every year just to maintain "status quo". I'm thinking it will be all uphill for us all the next while. Good Luck. You don't need us Utah Rednecks down there muddying up the water, so all you may get from us is a few words of encouragement. It seems to me the hound guys couldn't do much better than to have you represent us anyway.

Good Luck, and go get 'em. Keep us Posted KattSkratch

WayCool,

No offense buddy but I think you might be wasting your time waiting for this alleged "harvest data" they are promising you.

I spent a week down in New Mex in bear camp with Ed and 3 of Gallups finest bar queens. And I even went down into town a couple days with Stan to hang out with his pa's mountain biking buddies.

I spent 2 more days in Gallup on the way home with the aforementioned gals, an another day in Shiprock after the gas station attendant bit on my line, "Does your pappy know he raised a thief, cuz you sure stole my heart darlin'."

But amigo, in my 10 or so days down in New Mex, I never once encountered a person that I even remotely suspected could read, write or even speak basic english. So I highly doubt there is anyone in their Game and Fish dept. capable of such a magic act as producing harvest data. ;-)

Maybe I was just hanging out in the wrong parts of town, which is generally the case when running with Stan and Ed. Since Ed's little stint recently on America's Most Wanted, I notice he has taken to hangin' in poorly lit areas and dark corners of the bar.

Perhaps I just never made it to the civilized portion of New Mexico, I dunno. But don't get your hopes up for this harvest data amigo cuz the guy who promised it to you is most likely hunkered down on the toilet with a Monster truck magazine in his hand, looking at the pictures and wondering what the captions say, with a skidmark in his scivvies the size of Silver City, and a David Allen Coe song on his mind... and when he's done, he's got coffee and donuts on his mind, not your harvest data!!!

If they do run roughshod over you guys and push this BS through, look at the bright side. It ain't gonna change me and Ed's hunting schedule any so come on up to camp the first of October and we'll have the place all to ourselves.

Hell dude, me 'n Ed shoot wolves every chance we get, I shoot these planted bighorn sheep up here all summer long, so shooting a NM Fishcop that happens on our camp would be the LEAST of our problems!!! ;-)

-Dawg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-03 AT 09:59AM (MST)[p]I got the data... !!! So here it is....

The department prior to 2001 was attempting to increase the populations and utilized a 7% harvest objective. This was based on the pre-study population estimate of 3500 bears.

After the completion of the study, which estimated the pops to be 6500 bears it was determined that the harvest could be increased by percentage (10%)and still maintain stable or slightly increasing pops. The number of hunting days reflect this change.. with one big gotcha the removal of Dec and moving those 30 days to August.

So.. to recap... looking at the season dates for '01 and 02' (post study) the number of hunting days did not change. BUT, 30 days was moved from the end (01) and put in August (02).

The August harvest was HUGE !! 340 bears were taken in August. I talked to the two biologists that handle bears and both agreed that the reason for such a high number is due to no other hunts being available during that time and an early mast in the north, that concentrated bears (made them easier to hunt).

Here are the numbers:

2001 TOTAL HARVEST: 454
2002 TOTAL HARVEST: 732

Included in these numbers are depredation takings as follows:

2001 TOTAL DEP/RK: 180 (RK = Road Kill)
2002 TOTAL DEP/RK: 52

As you can see part of the departments objective was met. That being the reduction of dep takings vs sport harvests. But clearly the August season total was far too high and the department agrees with that.

The department does not have a recommendation at this time as to changing the season. In fact the people I spoke with would like to see the season stay the same for one more year. Its hard to collect good statistics year over year when the season continues to be a moving target. They don't expect August harvest to be nearly as high if the season stayed the same, primarily because they attribute the high success to the early mast production.

For what its worth here are numbers for hunting with dogs. Harvest with dogs was very small compared to without dogs. FWIW

2002 WithOUT dogs:
(dep numbers included)

Males: 290
Females: 201

With dogs:

Males: 144
Females: 89

2001 Without dogs:
(No dep numbers)

Males: 89
Females: 63

With dogs:

Males: 59
Females: 26

Here are the numbers for August:

August harvest with dogs 2002: 120
August harvest without dogs 2002: 234

I haven't compiled the location data yet.. but according to the biologist I talked to, the majority of the bears harvested in Aug were taken north of I-40 and especially in the NE quadrant of the state where mast came off early.

I think at this point I would like to see either the 30 days moved back to the end (i.e. nov/dec), OR leave it alone and see what the numbers are after this year... OR what I think would be the best is persuit in Aug and the 30 days on the end, but I can tell you right now persuit is NOT an option this commission will consider.

The two people I talked to warned me... if they take it away it will be almost impossible to ever get it back... they said keep that in mind. FWIW

The rule will be open for 60 days and a decision must be made by July 15th

Anthony,

You will like to know... for the bear watch lady... that the department trapped 52 individual nuisance bears in the Sandia's and Manzano's... So much for them becoming extinct ;-)

Also ... only 126 bears were taken with a guide using dogs. The total take with a guide was 175. (for 2002)

Steve Lithgow

Here some geographical numbers from last years August Season:

NW (that's north of I-40 and west of US 285): 85
NE (north of I-40 and east of US 285): 143
SE (basically just units 36 and 34): 51
SW (South of I-40 and west of I-25): 62

So to me it looks like the biologist was right.. the majority of the bears harvested in Aug were north .. and especially east...

FWIW,

Steve Lithgow

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-03 AT 03:16PM (MST)[p]Thanks for posting that info Waycool. Did you get the geographic stats for 2001? I just wonder how many were killed in 2001 in the southwest vs. 2002. Seams like there are more bears than ever. If they do anything to the season I hope they move the 30 days in August behind Nov 15. Heck they have much better hair then anyway. But I'm like you I just get nervous when they move or stop anything, cause who knows if well ever get it back!

BB, I'm glad you asked that question... cause now it looks like these number for 2001 are incomplete... or wrong

I just noticed there were NO bears harvested in GMU 24 (which you and I both know that can't be true !!!) and 33 harvested in 2002... cant' be right... unless

You cant' really compare unit by unit from 01 to 02 because the dep numbers are not included... I guess I could throw out the dep takings from the 02 numbers.. but the real issue is that the dep numbers were so high in 01 that its significant...AND that was part of the objective and reasoning behind the August season...

FWIW there were only 15 bears harvested on a second tag....

Steve Lithgow

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom