NM Draws ...

N

NMHUNTNUTT1

Guys ,
the internet application has proven to increase applicants. In NM since 2002 there has also been an increase in youth and female hunters , not much but it is happening which is a good thing.
As for tag allocations , if the proclomation states that 100 bull tags will be given for a certain unit, lets say unit 17 for example. Keep in mind that the proclomation is printed and released long before animal counts are conducted . Now , the G&F starts their flying the unit for counting and for what ever reason , realize that elk numbers are drasticly down, the G&F along with the Elk Biologist can re-evaluate how to keep a stable herd , and one tool they may use is to decrease tag numbers , lets say from 100 to 80.It's at their discretion and I believe they are more than qualified. Politics will always be dirty in some way , but the biologists do have a very strong say in to what direction the herd will be managed. This is just an example and does not always happen , I believe it rarely happens , but when it does , it's for the benifit of the animals and on the back side of this kind of event , it's the hunters who have less tags to draw for in the lottery. My writing here isn't of thought or opinion. Every year after a season has passed , once the GAME & Fish release the drawing odds report I print it out and start to look over units by app numbers and tags allocated. I may be obsessed with it but I enjoy crunching the numbers and it has helped me understand the draw and how to work within whats offered.
Now as for the 3rd and 4th choice which is offered for deer and elk , you all would be so surprised how many hunters DO NOT mark a 3rd or 4th choice. Many people want to go to their area to hunt and hunting to many a person is a recreational outting.Not all outdoorsmen that hunt are passionate hunters that ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HUNT AT ALL COSTS NO MATTER WHAT,like most of us here at MM. Also because NM has gone to a statewide draw for deer now , I personally know of some old timers who have hunted all their lives but have never particapated in an application process and just don't know how to do it. My advice to the State of NM Game & Fish is to start to offer classes throughout all of NM , bigger towns and smaller communities on how to be apart of the application process.They have many tools to advertise such a class , local news papers and also a print out inside the proclomation, remember it's released very early now.
As for conspirency , no theres no smoking gun , it is what it is. Hunting in NM is more popular right now than it has ever been. The State still runs the draw in true lottery fashion, no waiting 10 years building points to finally draw and hunt for bull elk , you can hunt 15,16 or 17 or 34 EVERY YEAR as long as you draw and you have JUST AS MUCH A CHANCE as every other applicant . Can't say that for states that have a point system eh???? NM also offers non residents' tags at a very affordable cost , just look at a NR elk tag in NV!!!

I don't know all there is to know about hunting, the draw , elk or deer but I do for a fact know , you can't draw if you don't apply , and somebody has to draw a tag, so it may as well be you or me , right???

Hey NUTT, I know all too well about that every year stuff. I have a buddy that has hunted every year but one in the last seven years! I get the other side of that, ONCE seven years ago!

All,
I am one of the unluckies, too. When WSMR Oryx badge hunts were every other year, I didn't get to apply ;ast year due to birth year, but my buddy drew. This year, different rules applied -- still no draw for me, but he drew AGAIN!!!!!! The system is what it is... luck of the draw...

DC

all because of the $6 application fee. If everyone had to send in their total license fee I think OUR odds of drawing would greatly increase. JMO

before we get a non resident on here make it even. Non residents would only have to send in the resident license fee with the balance due upon drawing. It might sound crude but I personally don't care about the non resident tags as I'm not in the same pool as them in the first place. For all I care let Them stay the same. They get 22%. I get a shot at 78%.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom