nm fires

JACOB2006

At what point in time do we point the finger at all these tree huggers who stopped the logging?If our forests were maintained these things would never get out of control.Just one question wheres your spotted owl going to sleep now?Are people building fires and lighting fireworks to blame. Ya somewhat but I think we're missing the heart of the problem! Just my 2 cents.

Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest used to set forest fires to keep the forests healthy.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Who's worse, the tree hugger or the jackass that can't go camping in 90 degree temps without building a bonfire?

I know firsthand the fire ecology of the Southwestern Ponderosa Forest of the Jemez Mountains. Many areas haven't seen fire in some 40-50 years and with over grazing and tree density high we have all the right condition to go up in flames. Before the early 1920s-1930s(Smokey the bear) we had fires every year because it is natures tool to control the health of the forest. Fire release nutrients and delimits the density to reach the current conditions. Fires use to burn about every 10-12 years and this is well documented by studies done by the Los Alamos Labs and VCNP after the 2000 fire that burnt the town of Los Alamos. Fires have been around before man and they always did well. But do to fire suppression and urban Interface and mans lack early on about the knowledge of fires key role in the ecosystem and ecology of the forest we have these problems today and it is time we as Americans become educated and learn from pass mistakes. Look at the health of the Gila for the most part. Bet many of you don't know that the Gila on an average year sees over 200 small fires caused by lighting. This is due to the let burn policy, it is one of the most healthiest forest in the Southwest and look at the elk that live there.

Even most of the Indian Rez's do a better job managing their forests.
Unfortunately, there has been so much misinformation put out there by the environmentalists over the years that the uninformed public opinion is that fire is bad and logging is bad.

Fire this time of the year in overgrown forests is bad, but, a healthy forest is able to handle fires.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-11 AT 06:37PM (MST)[p]>yep, the owl started the fires....
>

They wanted to commit suicide. No owl habitat to worry about now.
Most forests in the US are way overgrown,due to lack of fire,and recently(30 yrs)lack of thinning Rape and pillage logging is now offset by rape and pillage enviro-wackos.Our forests are the ones that suffer.

@ Cuacopollo
You are right to a certain point but Smokey the Bear is to blame to. If we would have just let fires burn and just protect important building than we wouldn't be where we are now. The Ponderosa Pine forest of Jemez and Northern New Mexico would see fire every 10-13 years before man started fire suppression and urban Interface building. I know this first hand and is easily researchable on line. I conducted several studies and some area within the preserve and the Jemez Mtns haven't seen fire in over some 60+ years and then combine this with over grazing and mismanagement it is bad news. Many studies have been done by both Los Alamos Labs and the VCNP which will back up what I am saying. We can't correct a 100 years of mismanagement in just a few years. We as Educated people should know when we build in forested land we have to understand we are doing so knowing the risk of fire and it is a natural occurrence but worse when fueled by people stupidly and wanting camp fires and fireworks or smoking and throwing there cigarette butts out the window.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom