NM Fish recipes

RioHuntNutt

The NMDGF sent out a report with some pretty nice fish recipes. I for one enjoy fresh water fish , trout is my least favorite but still enjoy it & will certainly eat it. Now that more waters are opening up Im about past ready to catch and try some new recipes. NMPaul , will be trying your for sure..Feel like sharing a must try? Im always up for a new offering....Crappie and bluegill and walleye .....Might be the very best fresh water in the history of ever..

Cold-Poached Salmon with shaved Fennel and Apple Salad ... Cold-poaching makes it nearly impossible to over-cook your cold-water fish and is a great cool meal in the summer.

Recipe is basically 1) Place salmon fillet in shallow pan on kitchen counter. 2) Simmer vegetable broth. 3) Pour broth over fillet. 4) Let cool to room temperature. 5) Eat with salad. Important details in the link.

Most of my favorite recipes come from this book.

The NMDGF sent out a report with some pretty nice fish recipes. I for one enjoy fresh water fish , trout is my least favorite but still enjoy it & will certainly eat it. Now that more waters are opening up Im about past ready to catch and try some new recipes. NMPaul , will be trying your for sure..Feel like sharing a must try? Im always up for a new offering....Crappie and bluegill and walleye .....Might be the very best fresh water in the history of ever..
I agree. For me its walleye, bluegill (if big enough to fillet), crappie and then catfish. I don't keep bass to eat any longer. I used to, but, I focus on the fish I listed. I am definetly a meat fisherman. I try to eat fish a couple times a week. I am also on the Keto diet so it works perfect. I like to keep it simple.
Just like hunting, it is even more important to take care of the fish in the field. Keep them alive as long as possible, and then directly on ice. Dont let them get warm. ICE ICE BABY.
Way we normally eat crappie and walleye is nothing to special. I fillet them boneless . The fillets I then season with garlic salt, pepper, then lightly flour or use one of the many fish fry mixes like Zatarins. Then vegetable oil in a pan and fry or in deep fryer. We make a tartar sauce out of mayonnaise, diced onion, dill pickle, pinch of thyme, salt and pepper to taste.

Catfish I actually like the little ones whole the best. I fillet the rest. I have so many people that like it I give most fillets away. Still fun to catch though.

Cold-Poached Salmon with shaved Fennel and Apple Salad ... Cold-poaching makes it nearly impossible to over-cook your cold-water fish and is a great cool meal in the summer.

Recipe is basically 1) Place salmon fillet in shallow pan on kitchen counter. 2) Simmer vegetable broth. 3) Pour broth over fillet. 4) Let cool to room temperature. 5) Eat with salad. Important details in the link.

Most of my favorite recipes come from this book.
Thanks for that link , $7 for cooking book is a great deal for sure...I can never have too many books, I even have a recipe magazine just for hot wings...

I agree. For me its walleye, bluegill (if big enough to fillet), crappie and then catfish. I don't keep bass to eat any longer. I used to, but, I focus on the fish I listed. I am definetly a meat fisherman. I try to eat fish a couple times a week. I am also on the Keto diet so it works perfect. I like to keep it simple.
Just like hunting, it is even more important to take care of the fish in the field. Keep them alive as long as possible, and then directly on ice. Dont let them get warm. ICE ICE BABY.
Way we normally eat crappie and walleye is nothing to special. I fillet them boneless . The fillets I then season with garlic salt, pepper, then lightly flour or use one of the many fish fry mixes like Zatarins. Then vegetable oil in a pan and fry or in deep fryer. We make a tartar sauce out of mayonnaise, diced onion, dill pickle, pinch of thyme, salt and pepper to taste.

Catfish I actually like the little ones whole the best. I fillet the rest. I have so many people that like it I give most fillets away. Still fun to catch though.
I also use Zatarins , and Walmart has a fish flour seasoning in a blue bag that is really good.... I have wood floors to put down in my daughters home this next week and then hopefully I'll get out to Conchas before this HOT STRIKE STREAK passes....Walleye baby!!!

Blackened sunfish filets are the only way to go, I use Zatarain's for that.

A 1 to 1-1/2 lb smallmouth filet is tough to beat.

10" nose to tail crappie are the perfect size.

6" to 8" bluegill - same as crappie.

Big bluegill are spawning right now on Navajo.

Actually caught a couple green sunfish the other day for the first time.

All the warm water species mentioned are good, except maybe catfish, the ones I've eaten taste like mud. The best tasting fish in NM come from Eagle Nest Lake. The rainbows are good but the Kokanee are by far the best eating fish that swim in freshwater, in NM. I almost compare them to saltwater fish.
Jack

All the warm water species mentioned are good, except maybe catfish, the ones I've eaten taste like mud. The best tasting fish in NM come from Eagle Nest Lake. The rainbows are good but the Kokanee are by far the best eating fish that swim in freshwater, in NM. I almost compare them to saltwater fish.
Jack

We smoke the kokanees we catch in Navajo with alder, then can. Duper super good.

Great recipes guys hope to use some soon. As excited as I am about the fishing n recipes , I'm way more excited Paul's on KETO! ???? PAUL you better let stomper know you're gonna lose some curves brother hahaha!
Hell yeah good for you! That keto stuff works dude ?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom