NM FREE-RANGE BISON HUNT (VIDEO)

A

ADDICT

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 10:04AM (MST) by Founder (admin)[p]I was HUMBLED the last week chasing these spooky suckers!

"You skin grizz?"

Great videography!!! Didn't think there were any free ranging buff in NM. Thought only AZ and AK had them....details please.

Jbone

Great video, Zac. Glad you got connected with my buddy Casey (a/k/a "werewolf").

Regarding the free range bison hunt question. Technically speaking there are no "free range" bison hunts in New Mexico. That said, New Mexico defines bison as "livestock" so they don't have to be kept behind high fence. An example is Lamont's Wild West Buffalo Hunts out of Santa Fe. This outfit and a couple other operations provide low fence hunts for bison (and red yak). http://www.lamontbuffalo.com/index.html
The bison are fenced on large tracts of private land, but my understanding is that they must literally be fenced in. Any escapees would have to be herded back to where they came from or exterminated.

So, my understanding is that New Mexico bison must be fenced in on private property as livestock, but there is no requirement that they be kept behind high fence. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is the NM Division of Wildlife's position on bison.

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

I believe you're right elktrout. If it's a non-native species and not contained/regulated it's basically on the same level as a wild hog.

They are native to NM, but pretty much limited to Rez. and big ranchland now. They can pretty much go thru any regular ranch fence,they don't jump them. Not freeranging really,but even the range cattle are wild for the most part out here.
I've avoided them on any place that had them in my life.Unless contained by pipe. Trust me,they can be really spooky and mean.
Love the meat. Maybe someday......

>I believe you're right elktrout. If
>it's a non-native species and
>not contained/regulated it's basically on
>the same level as a
>wild hog.

It's a little different than that Ohio. Bison are in fact native to New Mexico, however there are no wild populations in existence in New Mexico. Secondly, there are no feral bison running around New Mexico and if there were, they would be immediately extirpated. The Division of Wildlife does not regulate bison in New Mexico because there are no wild "free ranging" bison in New Mexico. There are only bison that roam within confined boundaries (fences) in New Mexico and as such, said bison receive a "livestock" designation. Bison are NOT recognized as wild or "free ranging" by the State of New Mexico which is why there is no license requirement to hunt them. Because there are no wild populations there is no license requirement. Ultimately, this is why Boone and Crockett does not recognize bison killed in New Mexico.

Here's B&C's position on the issue:

"Essentially, bison exist as wild, free-ranging herds in their original setting in very few places. Accordingly, only trophies from Alaska and Canada are fully eligible for consideration for possible awards as well as publication in the records books. Over most of the lower 48 states, existing bison herds are semi-domesticated and are regulated as domestic livestock. Since 1977, hunter-taken trophies from the lower 48 states are acceptable only for the records books (both Awards and all-time), not for consideration of the usual place awards, and only if they were taken in a state that recognizes bison as wild and free-ranging and which requires a hunting license and/or big-game tag for hunting bison." See: http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/records_boundaries.asp?area=bgRecords

I would also add that bison fencing, whether it be high or low is very serious business. While bison can certainly trash any fence on any given day, good bison fencing will successfully retain animals, thereby insuring that they are not free to range or roam wherever they please. When spooked they will flee to whatever corner of whatever ranch they are on in order to avoid being killed, but they do not have the ability to escape their fenced areas.

Still a great video by a killer hunter.

www.streamflies.com

So can we shoot all of Ted Turner's buffalo that have taken over the Valle Vidal?...you know, since they have escaped enclosure...

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-14 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]>So can we shoot all of
>Ted Turner's buffalo that have
>taken over the Valle Vidal?...you
>know, since they have escaped
>enclosure...
>
>

Good question. No more than you could shoot someone's cattle that had escaped onto the Vidal. Sounds like someone at Turner Enterprises may need to remedy that situation if it has not already been rectified. I'm curious. How long have you been seeing bison in the Vidal?

Dang it, Danny! Check your inbox. Didn't realize that was you.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Years ago, I saw two big bison bulls on forest service property, near one of Turner's ranches. I called the g&f and asked if they were free game. I was told, as Cody stated, that it was still their buffalo, just like any livestock. That being said, I was also told that herding those things back is not easy, and sometimes a deal could be reached with the rancher to harvest the animal.

Ya, Ya, Ya, I know we can't shoot em and I wouldn't have had enough ammo to even dent that herd anyways. They are fun to see though.

-I have fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when-

>Years ago, I saw two big
>bison bulls on forest service
>property, near one of Turner's
>ranches. I called the
>g&f and asked if they
>were free game. I
>was told, as Cody stated,
>that it was still their
>buffalo, just like any livestock.
>That being said, I was
>also told that herding those
>things back is not easy,
>and sometimes a deal could
>be reached with the rancher
>to harvest the animal.

This is right on the mark. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and killed a big bull in the Gila, but, I made an agreement with the Ranch.

It is one of my favorite hunts to this day. There were 2 bulls way up into the forest. A friend was cat hunting and saw them. he made the arrangements with the ranch. At the time I was in CA.
When he called me, I literally left that night and was on his horses the next morning. A three hour ride in on horses, before we jumped a bull. We played cat and mouse with him all day in the junipers.
I finally caught up with him and he soaked up a bunch of .338.

He was 390 yards, and my friend had made me run to get to where we saw him trotting on the ridge. I remember shooting till the gun was empty thinking I was missing. Then I reloaded and shot some more. That hike up to where he disappeared I was feeling lower than whale shyt.
When we walked up on him, I saw that he had been riddled and was still trucking up that ridge.
Great hunt I will always Cherish. Will never get another opportunity like that again I am sure.

Bill L. If you read this thanks again for thinking of me way back when.

Great video!! I've always been a big fan since I started watching them. I wish u had a show on the outdoor channel, it would definitely be on my DVR. Can't wait for the continued video.

Thanks guys! Free range in that they're WILD as hell! Thanks for clarifying!

"You skin grizz?"

Great job on the video. Some Nice country there.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom