NM Gun Case Law

MNHunter

Ok, so I'm leaving tonigh t for my oryx hunt this weekend on Stallion. I've packed my gun in a hard case. Do I need to bring a soft case to transport the gun to/from the base and while hunting? Here in MN you must have a gun cased at all times in a vehicle. What about NM?

Thanks
"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Soft case is a good idea so it doesn't get beat up but no you do not need a firearm in a case while traveling in NM

Jordan

fwiw...back when I was deer hunting Unit 2 a couple years ago I was waiting along a road to meet up with BIGBULL48 when a local deputy sherriff pulled up behind me and put his lights on. He told me he was just doing a routine check. Anyway, I had my gun hardcased behind the seat, the detachable magazine in my pocket, and no round in the chamber. There was four rounds in the bullet band that was slipped around the gun stock butt.

The deputy "let me off" but gave me a verbal warning that he believed the bullets in the bullet band constituted a loaded weapon in the vehicle. I personally think that he was just going for a little self-justification, but on the other hand there's no point in risking a confrontation over such things when you just want to get on with your hunting, and I'd rather error on the side of caution. Besides, I'm glad they're out there checking this stuff.

In NM you can have a loaded firearm concealed within your vehicle for protection for person or property. However, you cannot legally have loaded gun for hunting from a vehicle.

On range for the oryx unt, they will not bother you with either of these issues.

I believe the law states that you can have a loaded gun in one hand and a beer in the other, as long as your buddy can lean over and steer. Well... it may not be law, but from what I've seen, it's fairly common practice. :)

I knew we could have a loaded firearm in the vehicle but I was under the understanding that it had to be in plain view. Does there need to be a concealed weapon permit to have it concealed in your vehicle?

no you dont need a concealed permit in NM. your vehicle is considered an extension of your home and you can have a loaded weapon concealed in your vehicle. I know because i carry one and have gotten pulled over and i told the officer about it..all he did was make me hand it to him and he unloaded it and held it while giving me a ticket..the reason the local deputy told you in unit 2 is because of the strict laws of the Jicarilla Tribe. we were hunting in unit 2 and had a hunter in camp drive to Dulce. He got pulled over by a Jicarilla sheriff and he had his gun in a hard case, in the back seat, unloaded..but he had a magazine loaded that was out of the case just thrown on the back seat and the sheriff confiscated the gun,

I am a criminal defense attorney. You may carry a loaded or "concealed" weapon either in your vehicle, home, or place of business with approval of your employer. New Mexico law enforcement is naive...

I have also asked wardens about this. I have been told that you can have bullets in your clip, but not one in the chamber. Safety reasons. Now the Jicarilla is a whole different story.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom