NM MI Success

M

maddglasser

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-09 AT 00:50AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-09 AT 00:49?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-09 AT 00:41?AM (MST)

My dad and I headed to the northeastern corner of NM on Weds for his M.I. antelope tag. This area was not really known for big bucks, but the sun shined thru! After scouting for a day we located a buck we thought would go book. I actually thought he was bigger, but givin the area, I was cautious, to say the least. We looked at over 40 "normal" bucks, but knew we had our guy!

Opening morning found us at 250 yards from our guy, but the light was a little to bad for my dads eyes. We waited for better light, but the buck and 3 of his buddies moved to far off for the .243 win. After a couple hrs of trying to get within about 100 yard stalking range (with crutches), we decided to sit still and and let the buck come to us. We sat 150 yards from the truck, at the base of a small hill. We could see the bucks at about a mile away, well I could, my dad, he was complaining about his crutch, the ants, a sticker, but had a BIG smile to boot. I noticed the big buck had seperated from the herd and started trotting our way. He would slow to walk, then trout again, all the while coming straight at us!

We watched the buck cover a mile over a 10 min period. He was now 235 yards and turning broadside. When the buck stopped I did not have time to tell my dad to shoot, the deed was done! 1 shot perfectly and luckily thru the center of the heart and the great buck was down. All my dad kept saying was "Are you sure he is dead?" All I said was Congrats.

The buck kept getting bigger and bigger as we walked up! When my dad grabed the horns, he almost let a tear out, but I just about tackled him while giving him a GIANT hug!

We scored the buck in the feild at 84&6/8. When we got home after the 12 hr drive, and meeting a very good friend and seeing his monster goat, we got a final score of 85&2/8.
The buck is 15&1/2 long on both horns with 6" cutters and the first 2 mass measurements over 7"! I hope you enjoy the story of a sunshiney day!

4a7534b26b431c22.jpg

www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Very, very cool....beautiful face on that guy.....keep your fingers crossed, those are some shrinking bastards...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Yeah, I know, but even if he doesn't make 82" for all time, My dad is still just as happy. Thanks JB

Great buck. He looks like a "Book" goat to me. The black face on that pronghorn will make an outstanding mount. Congrats to your father.

What town were you hunting closest to? There are some pockets of good genetics in NE New Mexico.

We were hunting outside of Roy NM. Not much public land around there! But still great to get out of the AZ heat and do some hunting

Travis,

Congrats to you and your Dad! Wow that is a great goat with great mass. I could not be happier for you guys. You guys deserved it! There for a moment I thought you told me on the phone you got a 78" goat! You only missed him by 7"! I agree with D13er. That goat has a very nice cape. The dark black really looks good with those black ball bats sticking out of his skull!

VERY COOL TRAVIS, tell your Dad great job, that is a sweet looking buck, good luck with the rest of your tags Andy

I miss jugded him quite a bit!! I caped him out and got on my B&C book and scored him at 85 and change. I am not an oficial scorer, but I think he is close to that. I saw another dead buck that I think is just as good, Don't know what he actually went though!
Travis

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom