NM mule deer hunting?

HUNTNNW

I am looking for a direction to start planning a hunt in NM for 2014. My wife wants to spend a week there and hunt we plan a 7-9 day hunt every year somewhere new. We have never been to NM as we will be coming from WA and driving there to scout will not happen I will take what info I gather, maps and talking to people or bio's to plan it out and arrive early to scout before opener. We are not opposed to backpacking in as we hunt alot and steep country isnt an issue. We spend alot of time in ID in Hells Canyon. Looking for units that hold decent bucks and that have a chance to hold big ones. I am looking at 16,45 and 53 now, but early in my planning and open to any suggestions or advice.PM me if you dont want info on here. I can also trade info on WA and parts of ID for elk, deer and bears. Thanks, Shane

If I was you, I'd look more into elk hunting. I think you'd be very disappointed in a NM deer hunt compared to what you're used to. If you have your heart set on deer hunting, I'd look for something more that you can't hunt up north like coues deer.

Ditto nmtaxi. I can't even find enough mule deer to hunt myself, let alone recommend places to a stranger.

IMO much better deer hunting in AZ (Coues & Mule) with lots of OTC areas, so don't overlook that option.

They said it. Skip the deer and go for elk. Go for a unit 16, 15, 13, 0r 17 elk tag. The worst deer hunt in UT, CO, ID, WY is better than NM's best.

AZ and UT have bigger elk than NM, but you have a far better chance of drawing a NM tag than you do elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies and advice. Why I start planing now. Elk I'd love to do there.. Been a hunt I've always wanted to do. That may be an option. Thanks again .

I'm from Spokane,WA

As already stated, the elk hunting would be a better hunt. However, contrary to what others said the deer hunt could be good too if that's what you want to do. I have spent over 60 days on the ground over the last decade in unit 16 chasing elk and turkeys and have ALWAYS seen quite a few deer. It's a good unit because you have the chance at both mule deer and coues. Also, units 2B and 2C offer world class deer hunting both in quality (2C) and quantity (2B). Arguably the best mule deer hunting in America is in SW Colorado (where the world record was taken and has stood for decades) just above the border. I grew up in this area and still visit regularly and see deer every time I am there. If your after deer, you can certainly get it done here. However, you will have a better chance to kill an elk (and a big one at that) in NM.

Are you looking for a rifle or bow hunt? I have hunted the last three years with a bow in January for deer and they blow away most rifle hunts in both numbers and quality. I have found nice deer both mule deer and couse deer in the unit I hunt do to the fact the archery hunt falls with the rut. Something to think about too. I hunt a desert unit boardering 16.

>Are you looking for a rifle
>or bow hunt? I have
>hunted the last three years
>with a bow in January
>for deer and they blow
>away most rifle hunts in
>both numbers and quality. I
>have found nice deer both
>mule deer and couse deer
>in the unit I hunt
>do to the fact the
>archery hunt falls with the
>rut. Something to think about
>too. I hunt a desert
>unit boardering 16.

this would have been my exact response, but i would have spelled it bordering..

I think your three choices are spot on if hiking is your thing. Unit 16 holds great deer above the cliff dwellings and even over into the Porcupine canyon area. If I lived closer this would be my first choice but having to travel from Santa Fe I stay closer to home and do just fine. 53 Holds some of the biggest deer I've seen in NM but, is a major hit or miss kind of area that requires some serious hiking and quite a bit of luck.
45, well I love this area but refuse to hunt it even though its essentially my back yard. This unit does hold good deer numbers but the big ones stay far off the beaten path. I would recommend doing a pack in hunt and start where most people just don't go. If you draw this tag I will point you in a good direction. Why do I not hunt 45 simple, I'm a bow hunter and have had "bear hunters" poach giant bucks I scouted and patterned all summer long during the late August rifle bear season. Where do I hunt deer? 43, Low deer numbers for sure but armed with a good GPS there are some monsters in this unit with very light hunting pressure. This unit has a ton of private land but great pieces of state land that hold some true giants. Do I recommend this unit? Only as a last choice but, I choose this unit because I know its potential and because its close to home. I did bow hunt 2-B in January this year and killed a 4x5, I rated this hunt as good but this unit is definitely on a down ward spiral. I did not even re-apply for this unit this year even after a successful hunt. Good luck and I hope our great state is kind to you all!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom