NM Turkeys

D

doakes

I am trying to decide on a good place to hunt Meriams next year. Anyone have any advice about New Mexico? It will be 4 Mississippi boys going so them birds ain't got a chance.

doakes,
If you are looking for a large population of Merriams I would say the Sacramento mountains around Cloudcroft would be your best bet. Very large number of bird, but an equally large number of hunters which makes for some very wise birds. The Gila National forest holds turkeys pretty much everywhere. Then of course there is forests' in the northern part of the state but I am not too familiar with them. Hope this helps.
Jeff

Thanks for the tip. We are used to hunting for pressured birds in Mississippi. We have a six week season and about half way through the season the gobblers are leary of the real hens, much less the fake ones.

"It will be 4 Mississippi boys going so them birds ain't got a chance." what are you going to do? Inbreed them to death?
HHHAAAHAHAH!! I'm just shittin and gettin ya Doakes. All my kin is from the south, more from Louisiana though. What part of Mississisppsosisisisisp[i you from? My brother lived in Yazoo City for a short 4-6 years.

doakes,
Jeff is right about the numbers of birds in the Sacramento Mts. I have hunted mulies up around Weed,NM and every time we were up there, you would see tons of turkeys. I actually decided to try for my merriams bird there after 2 years of deer hunting there and seeing all the birds. I scored on the first morning of the spring season a few years back. PM me if you need any more info. Scottyboy

It is illegal for a Mississippi boy to "inbreed them to death". It would be like shooting a hummingbird with a .300 win mag.!HAHAHAHA!!! I am from Vicksburg.I live about 2 miles from the river.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom