NM Unit 15 youth bull lost

gg

I am 12 years old and shot a bull in Unit 15 New Mexico near Reserve. I shot the bull on 10/12 in the shoulder and he went down. When I walked up to him he got up and I shot him again in the butt. We followed him until dark and went back the next day and followed his blood trail again until it quit. We never found him. We have it on video. If anyone finds the bull can you please let me know. Thank you.

There is a really good chance that bull will never die. I've seen dozens of archery kills in unit 15 where they pulled out muzzle loader bullets from years past. One bull had two 500 grain slugs in his hind quarter and one barnes expander MZ in his front shoulder. All shots appeared to be at least a year old. I shot a bull on the shoulder once before as well and it knocked him down. 1 minute later he got up and ran off never to be seen again. We ran out of blood 2 miles later and followed his tracks for another 5 miles before loosing the bull all together. We spotted this bull (7x8) the very next year and 2 years ago he reappeared as a 370 class bull. Same area every year.

Point is, those muzzies aren't that powerful if you don't place your shot well enough. I hope he turns up but I thought you might want some real world experiences from my end no matter how bleak they may be.

Good luck to ya.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom