NM Unit 29

Cavalier

Just returned from a 5 day muzzy hunt in unit 29. It was an unbelievable hunt. We hunted four days before we talked to a rancher to learn a truly unbelievable story. The following information is strictly hearsay and there is no proof whatsoever. No names will be mentioned and no ranch names will be named. The information that was disclosed is that when the a rancher removed his sheep from the range some 2 years ago that the rancher left the sheep dogs and discontinued feeding them, either by abandonment or ran out of food. Apparently the dogs went wild and started killing everything they could catch. It didn't take us long to notice the lack of deer. We just couldn't figure out why. My hunt party generally sees as many as 50-60 does and 10-15 bucks in one five mile stretch of a large wash. This same wash area produced 12 does and 0 bucks. Also we noticed the previously abundant rabbit population is now nil. The person disclosing this info also said that since January he has killed 15 dogs. Additionally, a herd of goats has disappeared. It is truly sad that something couldn't have been done to save such highly trained animal. I'm sure these animals are very expensive. It's truly a sad situation and it will take many years to bring back the area deer herd.

I have heard the same thing and believe there is some truth to it.
It has affected Western parts of unit 30 and SE parts of 34.

I would like to see the guy that left those dogs out there held accountable.

This is a sad story, and I'm afraid there is only one way to get that deer herd numbers growing again. I have been out scouting and come across dogs and you can generally tell if a dog is a lost or thrown out pet or if it is trying to just live wildly.We came across a blue heeler a few years ago that wasn't friendly but wasn't wild and tried to get him to come in but wasn't having any of it. I never ran into anyone else and when we got home called the G&F but was told they didn't deal with that stuff as it didn't appear to be game related, just hopefully the rightful owner found the dog.
On another time out we came across some mutt looking dogs in my elk unit which we never expected to find stray dogs and they acted as wild as can be and not too afraid of us and I had my little girl who was about 7 or 8 at the time and all I was carrying was my little Ruger 10/22. I sent a full mag of CCI blazers and killed one dog but the other two were headed to Texas..

My last hunt in Unit 29 was three years ago and I saw the dogs being used for protecting the sheep and they are hugh white dogs. About the size of a Saith Bernard less maybe 40-50 lbs. I have heard that they originated from Hungry but not sure about that. But that is what to look for if anyone is in the area.

Sounds like a "kongol" or Anatolian Shepard. They're up to about 150 lbs, white with dark brown or black ears. Originally from Turkey and I had several run-ins with em while hunting over there during my last tour. Teeth all the way back to their a$$. A local I hunted with had one trained to chase pure strain Russian boars....that was a sight to see when they tangled up!

My buddies and I are going to be in there during the January bow hunt, what part of the unit were you in? And where have you heard the dogs are, I want to beaware and let one of my hunting buddies know the other two are dispensable.

The dog breed is Great Pyrenees. They are trained to protect sheep. Like any animal that is hungry they will eat what ever they can catch.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom