NM Unit 51 Logging

elknut

Hey guys/gals, my two nephews and I drew the late ML elk hunt in 51. I'd rather not drag a 5th wheel down on the snow/ice roads so I'd love some suggestions on logging. Maybe a B&B in the unit or one of the better hotels in Chama? I'm also open if someone wants to host us for a price or setup a nice wall tent camp. I know I sound a bit like a wimp but hell boys it's going to be cold in Dec ? lol. I'll be in the unit about 7-10 days.

Me I would take the 5th Wheel and enjoy the hunt, It might not be fun coming to and from home,but the camping and being close to the area you're hunting. PRICELESS.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Some amount of logging could help the hunting, by opening up new meadows and areas where sunlight can grow more elk food. Extensive clear cuts, maybe not so much.

I'll have to second Holly. (Since she is my sister) Her cabins are extremely nice and right on the forest service border.

What is her rates, How do you get to the cabins from the Hwy.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Check with the folks at the "Running Elk Lodge" Gil and Debbie
Graves ran the place when I stayed there a good while back. They have a cabin for rent with shower and solar/wind inverter system
and gas heat & lights. Get the dates down and call them and remind them your coming. They got busy and had trouble remembering when I'd show up! Nice pepople and the also ran a B&B
at there home.

Located on hwy 64 west of T.P. and forest service station.
I don't know if they are still in operation or not.Let me know what you find as I may want to find a cabin myself on another season.

Some good bulls in this unit. Congrads on the tag!
Scott

looks like Running Elk Lodge might be out of business, both numbers don't work. Anyone else know of cabins in the area?

or even a pop-up trailer, someone is willing to rent out?

thanks!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom