NMWF Legislative Update

J

jamaro

Sportsmen's concerns register at Legislature

With this legislative session half over, bills affecting New Mexico sportsmen could start moving quickly, which means hunters and anglers need to be ready to respond.

Already it appears that sportsmen have had a positive impact. Members of the House Taxation and Revenue Committee told NMWF this week they had heard overwhelming opposition to House Bill 24, a bill that would negatively change the Habitat Stamp program and cause the Department of Game and Fish to lose $150,000 a year. Bill sponsor Rep. William Rehm of Albuquerque failed to appear at the Tax and Revenue Committee hearing on Monday, forcing postponement. On Wednesday he asked that the bill be pulled off that day's calendar, and on Friday it was not heard. So it isn't clear when ? or if ? HB 24 will come up for a hearing again, but the clock is ticking down and the bill?s chances of getting through the Legislature look dimmer every day.

Unfortunately, a measure paving the way for the sale of the Marquez Wildlife Management Area in Unit 9 passed its first committee hearing in the House this week. State law requires legislative approval for a state agency to sell property worth more than $100,000. House Joint Memorial 7 would give the Game Commission permission to sell the Marquez before a sale price has been negotiated, without further legislative approval or oversight, with no time limit and no promise that the public will be involved in the decision. The Marquez is managed for high quality elk and deer hunting, and while the number of licenses is limited, all New Mexico hunters have an opportunity to try for a tag. (Thanks to Senate Bill 196 last year, all wildlife management area elk licenses are reserved for New Mexico residents.) The Game Commission voted in November against entering negotiations to sell the Marquez, but if HJR 7 passes there would be nothing to stop the commission from selling it in the future.The bill's next stop is the House Voters and Elections Committee. It wouldn't hurt for sportsmen to send Committee Chairwoman Mary Helen Garcia an email stating your opposition to HJR 7. Write her at [email protected].

The legislative session ends at noon on Thursday, Feb. 16. For the latest updates from Santa Fe, visit the Legislative Watch section of our website. Click here, or go to www.nmwildlife.org.

NMBH...
This session is all about finance so it isn't being addressed unless Martinez decides to bring it up BUT...

There is also somelegal maneuvering going on behind the scenes. The Dept and Commission have basically admitted several times that Terk(Turk) can be overturned because of the legal opinion that was already rendered.

BUT I will be honest in saying that there some apprehension in trying to reverse this because if we try and lose it will set precedent nationally so we just want to make sure that when we challenge we win... The LO Sheep tags might have been the tipping point that we needed...

As far as myself and the NMWF this is issue #1..

Jason

I have watched the wheeler unit, that had 8-10+ 190+ class rams get dwindled down to maybe finding 1 or 2 now per year from years like 2002-2005, what happened? Yes, they were harvested, but they were certainly not harvested by residents.

What I am trying to say is these world class ram tags were drawn by non-residents fair and square. My point is, what is not fair is, when we have world class rams non-residents are getting the cream of the crop because the NON QUOTA. We residents are stuck waiting to draw a tag and it seems when we do (not that I have, 29+ years in drawing) the world class rams are not there, but yet as residents we should have been given a better opportunity to get in on these world class ram tags.

The same thing is going to happen to our world class desert rams, mark my words there will be some records broken this year, and the way the draw sits right now non-residents still have the same chance as us residents to draw a desert sheep tag, since 2000 the draw for all ram tags has been split just about 50-50 with some years non-residents drawing more like 60% of ram tags, and it looks as though nonresidents have drawn 9 of the last 10 desert sheep tags, this needs to be changed ASAP!

Now you might say, increase your chances and buy tickets in the raffle, been there done that. I have spent thousands on raffle tickets. Now if game and fish needs to make up for the loss of revenue for these ram tags, charge residents 500.00 for a tag. If they have been unjustly figuring the cost of business one sided by figuring that the non-residents will make so and so dollars, and the dollars off auction tags are being won by mostly non-residents, and since they are donating these dollars, the non-residents should have more opportunity at these tags. Game and Fish is wrong and are being unfair to RESIDENTS.

Throughout the west, most of the Rocky/Desert/Cali sheep tags are drawn 90-10, and sometimes non-residents can only draw 5% of the tags, I believe the only exception is Nevada, which gives non-res 15% of their tags. Look at Colorado they don't even let non-residents apply for their Desert sheep tags. Are we as Residents of the state of New Mexico being treated fair with our sheep tags, I think not!

NMBIGHORN

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-12 AT 11:53PM (MST)[p]Welcome to Clownville :)

NMBH, you know where I'm comin from...also, NMWF and their beloved enemy SWF are equally incompetent, despite what their polticking rhetoric would lead anyone to believe

And our dear ol' Dept suffers from both incompetence and supercession by ultra'tarded legislation

I know Tod was aimin for the establishment of the pertinent quota before he retired...what has the Attorney's office had to say for themselves lately? Hmmm...perhaps Jason knows?

In addition, there is also quite a bit more than 'total harvest', and 'NR participation' attributing to such, negatively affecting Rocky trophy quality in the alpine units...been goin on in a tractable pattern following each of the herds' re-establishments

It can pretty much ALL be traced back to the Greater CLOWNVILLE, in most every aspect...bad management all around

Ya just can't fix stupid...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-12 AT 07:42AM (MST)[p]Why in the world would they want to sell that WMA? I'm interested in that even though I'm a NR and couldn't hunt it under the present laws!

This is an advisory letter by the AG.. So yes it looks like we have a case but unless the Dept brings this up then it will take a lawsuit... and that takes time and more money than NMWF has.. There is a ton of back channel stuff going on but it is all part of the legal maneuvering...

http://www.nmag.gov/Opinions/Opinion.aspx?OpID=1133

NMBH... I am with you... I/we are trying to get this done... The Dept knows about the paper and they are not moving... Martinez could have them look at it today if she wanted to but we all know her deal and who she deals with..

about the WMA.. i am not sure, it surprised all of us and every reason I have been given sounds like a pile of BS... i will try and dig more..
J

Hey NMBIGHORN.....Colorado gives 10 Desert tags...9 to residents and 1 to NONRESIDENT. AND it only costs you $1,276.00 + $3.00 process fee.....NOT the $3,180.00 + $65.00 game-hunting license. Maybe it should be just residents only to hunt in each individual state....and with that all the federal tax paid by residents should stay in state...I am pretty sure in the big picture that the non res are paying plenty to the state of NM. It's a never ending argument that nobody will win!

It's all part of the experience Clarke!!!

>Hey NMBIGHORN.....Colorado gives 10 Desert tags...9
>to residents and 1 to
>NONRESIDENT. AND it only
>costs you $1,276.00 + $3.00
>process fee.....NOT the $3,180.00 +
>$65.00 game-hunting license. Maybe
>it should be just residents
>only to hunt in each
>individual state....and with that all
>the federal tax paid by
>residents should stay in state...I
>am pretty sure in the
>big picture that the non
>res are paying plenty to
>the state of NM.
>It's a never ending argument
>that nobody will win!
>
>
>It's all part of the experience
>Clarke!!!

WOW... Nice.. I wish we had 90% of the tags going to residents...

^Yep, and it used to be resident only...last year was the first year CO made the single Desert tag available to nonresidents, as their permit allocation has grown.

>
>
>WOW... Nice.. I wish we had
>90% of the tags going
>to residents...

Like i said....never ending argument.... For sheep in NM it is different but on Elk the average DIY guy like me only has 6%. I dont mean to beat a dead horse here, I am asking the question because i have NO idea or even have a guess..but I wonder if anyone knows how much in-state vs. out-state money has been contributed to sheep habitat and allowing oportunities for ALL sportsmen.

******"but I wonder if anyone knows how much in-state vs. out-state money has been contributed to sheep habitat and allowing oportunities for ALL sportsmen."

earthman,

Well first of all every hunter and angler purchase habitat stamps, and no doubt non-residents and residents alike contribute to sheep habitat, what you are telling me is, just because non-res contribute dollars to sheep also, that they should have fair share, equal, 50/50, to residents, in drawing sheep tags in New Mexico.
I THINK NOT!

Where is your justification in this gibberish?

NMDG&F need to put a quota on sheep tags ASAP, plain and simple.
It would be nice if residents of NM would get 90% of all sheep tags like residents of most western states, hell we apply, but we haven't even drawn our only desert sheep tag in 10 years, How is this FAIR to residents.

Jamaro, just seen your link, couldn't get it to open yesterday.

I had asked if you'd heard anything LATELY. That document is over a year old, in fact, Bob and I were discussing it on here early last spring.

Your post is vague and questionably cicumspect, and provides no real information whatsoever; a paradigm of 'communication' I've come to expect from the NMWF.

OK... i will be honest and say that I am kind of a bull in a china shop when it comes to stuff like this... I wanted to file a lawsuit ASAP but several things happened including the LO Sheep tag situation that we wanted to be hashed out before we filed. The last thing we wanted to do was give these guys a loophole... We also wanted to let one more draw happen with all these desert sheep tags, estimates are that there is going to be a HUGE FLOOD on NR applying for these tags... Some are saying that 40% more NR are going to apply for these tags because we don't have a point system...This will give us more evidence that the R are getting screwed on this...

Also, the Dept and Commission has come out ON RECORD acknowledging that the quota could stand.. I have a feeling that once we start to turn up the heat they will buckle and say "Look at the good things we are doing" even though they could have changed it a year ago.

I hope that you can understand that if I lay EVERYTHING out it only gives material to those that wish to oppose us to prepare for.

Jason

"Some are saying that 40% more NR are going to apply for these tags because we don't have a point system...This will give us more evidence that the R are getting screwed on this..."

I'm sure you would told them about the increase in NR putting was due to a point draw not being in place.NOT

NMWF now you have just lifted your skirt alittle and show some of your true colors.
Mix and match the numbers until they do NMWF some good kind of like the groups you all talk Bad about. Looking in for the outside I wouldn't trust any of the groups down there to do what is right,I think all the groups are just Power and Money hungry.

No worries I'm a NR.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>earthman,
>
>Well first of all every hunter
>and angler purchase habitat stamps,
>and no doubt non-residents and
>residents alike contribute to sheep
>habitat, what you are telling
>me is, just because non-res
>contribute dollars to sheep also,
>that they should have fair
>share, equal, 50/50, to residents,
>in drawing sheep tags in
>New Mexico.
>I THINK NOT!
>
>Where is your justification in this
>gibberish?
>
>NMDG&F need to put a quota
>on sheep tags ASAP, plain
>and simple.
>It would be nice if residents
>of NM would get 90%
>of all sheep tags like
>residents of most western states,
>hell we apply, but we
>haven't even drawn our only
>desert sheep tag in 10
>years, How is this FAIR
>to residents.

NMBH,

While I understand your desire to want to draw a sheep tag after applying for so many years, I am in agreement with earthman. You state that NM should implement a 90% quota for residents, yet I'm sure you don't want to budge on the new quotas issued to NR on all other species. Colorado allocates up to 35% of tags to NR for LE hunts and has unlimited OTC elk opportunities for NR. I don't see that happening in NM. Point being, Colorado offers significantly higher opportunities for NR to hunt other game animals outside of sheep, so a lower quota to NR on sheep tags doesn't sting near as much, even though the discrepancies in tag fees between residents and nonresidents for all animals in all states is disgusting in my opinion (sheep especially).

Plus, why shouldn't non-residents have an equal shot at drawing a tag?...for every species?! Because residents pay taxes? Please, how much of those taxes actually go to nature conservation/preservation of some sort. I would bet that my NR elk permit supplements the DOW's budget more than the portion of an individual's state income tax that gets allocated there.

Sorry for the rant, but I've still never heard an argument that gave legitimate, convincing reasons for the unbalanced tag allocations.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom