no fire arms during archery??

L

leversniper

What do you callifornians think about the no fire arm rule during archery season. just interested.

I think It's a great law!If your afraid of the bears & lions,tuck your tail between your legs & stay home!I for one will tend to the natueral business of a man & hunt!

wish it was enforced!
during bow season in b zone you hear plenty of rifle shots!
or see guys bowwwwroad hunting with a 30/30 in there gun rack!
there are no bears and cats in Ca anyway and Souther Utah has all the pot farmers from what I been reading!
I also think bear hunting if there were any.. should be done with an ax and a knife and 2 dogs on any given hunt!
rack

It's retarded, leave the bow and tag in the truck and all of the sudden your legal? I'm about tired of THE MAN telling me what I can and can't do. I'll continue to do as I please, I know I'm an ethical and responsable person and I'll gladly take my ticket out of princable......After the tree hugger warden gets an ear full. Unless he's chock full of common sense like the rest of us and just gives me the ole warning with a wink
;-)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Amen hardway.........I don't carry a gun during bow season for any reason other than to protect myself from a 2 legged deer looking for trouble.....it is a dangerous world you know. Bears and lions don't require much worry.

JB

Rackmaster what the H you been smoking man. "no cats in Calli. You should do some reasearch on that, Call has more than enough cats, and bears. You hunt with bow or rifle you are still a hunter. archery is cool with me but it sure in the hell makes no body a bigger man for it. I go nowhere, NOWHERE with out my .44 on my side, it's the world we live. Sounds like callifornias political corectness is rubbing out on some of our own kind. HUNTERS. Wich ever way you do it you are still killing, lets get real.

Its NOT about Guns Vs Bow ! Its about being afraid of the Boogy Man!(Bear ,Lion ,Man) You have a better chance being attacked at home than in the woods! If you need to break the law to feel brave maybe your wife can come along to protect you from all the scary things out there.

i am scared of the boogi man, and bigfoot and ufo's.... last time i got probed it made my ##### fal off. no, really, it fell off.

>Its NOT about Guns Vs Bow
>! Its about being afraid
>of the Boogy Man!(Bear ,Lion
>,Man) You have a better
>chance being attacked at home
>than in the woods! If
>you need to break the
>law to feel brave maybe
>your wife can come along
>to protect you from all
>the scary things out there.
>

Joey, like it or not. The number one reason I carry my sidearm is the same reason I carry a lighter,matches, space blanket, first aid kit, and a compass. Purely a survival tool " just in case" something were to happen. Are any of us safe from slipping on a rock and breaking a leg, getting lost, or who knows what? Were I hunt in the wilderness, there's no phone or any other safeguard.....so for the sake of insurance and being able to come home to my wife and family I'll continue to do as I please. I think it's my right.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

sageman, it must be difficult for you to put your pant's on with your giant cajone's, typical internet bravado with no rational thought attached, I'll put my courage ( proven many time's in the field ) up against your's anytime and I Alway's carry my .44

Hardway, don't confuse Joey aka sageadvise, with sageman.

I carry when I'm out in the brush. The chances of anything happening are very very slim, but the odds caught up with me once and it saved my life.

Sageman, if you feel lucky, good for you!

Eel

I don't know if i would carry while bow hunting or not. I was THE worst bow shot, probably ever, so gave it up while in my twenty's. Corse that was back when recurve bows without rests or sights, were the norm.

I lean toward letting the person decide for himself. I do know that when i'm out hunting, fishing or camping, there is no shortage of firearms along for the ride. That's just how it is, how it's gonna be.

Joey

Try this on, just for fun.

First, it is against the law to carry a firearm during an archery hunt. Period, no discussion, unless you are CCW licensed.

Second, I don't know about you, but I want to spend as little time around a state or federal game warden as possible during my hunt time.

When you are stopped by a warden in this state and you have a sidearm, he is probably going to write you a ticket, call in the serial # of your gun and spend a chitload of your time just generally messing up your day.

I have seen this happen even during rifle season.

I NEVER give fishcops anything they can hang their hat on....never. I don't ask them anything, give curt, yes or no answers and get on my way asap.

I never see anyone do anything illegal, unless I am already done for the day. I wouldn't pull one out of a ditch if I could avoid it, unless I had nothing else going on.

>Hardway, don't confuse Joey aka sageadvise,
>with sageman.
>
>I carry when I'm out in
>the brush. The chances of
>anything happening are very very
>slim, but the odds caught
>up with me once and
>it saved my life.
>
>Sageman, if you feel lucky, good
>for you!
>
>Eel

Sorry Joey, I had to work 10 hrs yesterday (sat). Was'nt in my right mind last night, I knew that did'nt sound like you after I thought about it. :)

>Try this on, just for fun.
>
>
>First, it is against the law
>to carry a firearm during
>an archery hunt. Period, no
>discussion, unless you are CCW
>licensed.
>
>Second, I don't know about you,
>but I want to spend
>as little time around a
>state or federal game warden
>as possible during my hunt
>time.
>
>When you are stopped by a
>warden in this state and
>you have a sidearm, he
>is probably going to write
>you a ticket, call in
>the serial # of your
>gun and spend a chitload
>of your time just generally
>messing up your day.
>
> I have seen this happen
>even during rifle season.
>
> I NEVER give fishcops anything
>they can hang their hat
>on....never. I don't ask them
>anything, give curt, yes or
>no answers and get on
>my way asap.
>
>I never see anyone do anything
>illegal, unless I am already
>done for the day. I
>wouldn't pull one out of
>a ditch if I could
>avoid it, unless I had
>nothing else going on.

I only archery hunt in the wilderness so if I ever even do see a warden which I have'nt,I doubt he'll be callin anybody, besides Cali wardens are to lazy to pack into the wilderness. Bigger and easier fish to fry somewhere else I guess. I agree its illegal. But so was treason against the ENGLISH.

OK,when is the last time that Bad Guys-Lions or Bears killed or injured someone in the field when archery hunting?The odds are millions to one it will ever happen to you!So why would you need a gun?and yes I own & use many guns, just dont feel like I need to have one 24/7....

Hardway said; "Sorry Joey,..."

No worries mate. You were very civil in making your case, made good points IMO. It's weird that you legally can carry any other time except bow season.

Sageman, i guess it's a moot point. the law says you can't carry during archery season...

I don't have the time to list all or many of the encounters that happened just in our little area but they are considerable. I, for one, at times, feel the need to protect myself and more importantly, anybody else that may be along or that i happen across, be day or night, her or him, young or old, beast or bad guy, sane or rabid, tooth or fang.

This isn't so much about our lack of right to carry during Archery season as our right to defend ones self. Once again, the actions of a few, who would shoot with a gun then stick an arrow in the hole and call it good, have spoiled or caused change to a "Basic Right", a loss to those, like me, who feel like it should be ones own choice.

Joey

One million to one!!! I say it wouldnt happen to me that why I carry.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

With all the scary stuff that is happening these days on our public lands in California (read the newspaper once in awhile sageman) I think it's time to change the no carry law during archery season.

I have a neat idea! Make it illegal to use a firearm to harvest an animal while bowhunting! Problem solved!

Eel

try just 5 or 6 years ago a guy was out deer hunting in eldorado county with his son and was shot and killed by a miserable piece of chit mexican pot farm guard. his son escaped thanks be to God. 2 years ago if you hunted the rifle opener in B-zone near the Yolla Bolla you could have spent your day watching helicopter loads of pot hauled out to waiting trucks. this past summer my hunting partners checked out our campsite in Trinity and found it strewn with garbage and gallon water jugs. we'll move this fall. I don't think you should be bow hunting if you need to carry a gun to finish the job but I don't see why you shouldn't have one with you just in case. a million to one is still not zero but you do what you think is best...

I hate to put a damper on the guys who feel that there is very few odds on needing a handgun while bow hunting.
CA. bow season and the start of the rifle season is the time that the marijuana growers are beginning to harvest their crops. During this time they will normally have guards on the crop to prevent others from stealing their buds before they harvest them.
I can not remember how many times I was contacted or heard from other officers about bow hunters and rifle hunters being chased off or shot at by the wacky weed growers.
I do not bow hunt, if I did I would be packing a 45ACP in a concealed holster that could not be noticed by someone else. Heck, I pack a concealed pistol when I am rifle hunting in the advent I may need it to surprise some A-hole that just made me drop my rifle at gunpoint. Probably will never happen, but if it does I can at lease have a chance to go down fighting.

RELH

In the first place if you hit a deer with an arrow, you cannot legally "finish the job" with a firearm. You get caught doing that and you will really pay the man.

I guess knowing and abiding by the book, are things from the past.

"I guess knowing and abiding by the book, are things from the past."

Very true nickman. Just ask any of the 23,000,000 illegals in the US. Some of which are using our NF to grow and manufacture drugs!

The 'no carry" law needs to be changed. If our government's not interested in protecting us, we better do it ourselves.

I have a bad habit of searching out the off the wall places while looking for the next honey hole. (dang that google earth :))The kind of places a pot grower might pick, thinking nobody will bother them.

Last deer season I found a pot garden that had already been harvested. It's kind of a spooky feeling to stumble into. If I was an archery hunter I'd want some protection from those low-lifes.Those guys won't hesitate to shoot anyone who discovers a garden.

Ryan

EEL.....I would not offer up any arguement to your points.

I am just saying, that in spite of the fact that the authorities cannot seem to find and prosecute the dope growers, they are likely to find and prosecute you or I for carrying a gun to protect ourselves from people they can't or won't find.

I have no problem with changing the law.

I am NEVER unarmmed when I "am out and about".

I keep a 12 gauge pump with me when scouting and photographing. I use it for a monopod for my spotting scope and my camera. It has no plug and the magazine has 4, 3" OO Buck in it. I never empty the mag until I hit pavement.

I spoke the other day to Forest service law enforcement about a problem opening weekend in northern california, his reply was " all of our officer's are involved in harvesting and removing illegal pot so no one is available without taking them from the pot patrol ", basiclly we are on our own. I wish I could remember the quote from our attorney general last year about prosecuting crime, it went something like " not all breach's of law are criminal ". many laws are created by folks who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about but they are the majority, that doesn't make it right and if the jesse jacksons and al sharptons of the world are willing to violate the law because of what they believe then we as individuals have the same right to challenge unfair or obsolete laws.All of you do gooders that say you don't do anything illegal are spinning your wheels, there are so many laws on the books that you aren't even aware of its pathetic, like it or not if a fish cop wants your butt he will find a way.I spoke to law enforcement that told me that if they find something suspicious and didn't have probable cause the would call fish and game because they don't need probable cause to search. I believe in my personal freedom's enough to do what I think is logical, rational and right for the situation that I'm entering into, I'll take my chance's with a court if neccesary and stand up for what I believe in. Read the bow law regarding firearms and you will see that it's too resrictive/ general and unenforceable as written, the A/O bow tag says I may not possess a firearm at any time while hunting, fish and game inteperates that as in your camp and vechicle, according to our attornies when I pay for my campsite at a forest campground then that become's my temporary residence and I'm allowed by the supreme court to keep a weapon for self defense of same. Wyoming has allowed a firearm during bow season and I understand Arizona is also looking at doing the same.The state has to assume some liability if they are aware of a potentially dangerous situation and do nothing to protect its citizen's, if you don't hunt in California and haven't seen pot farms, illegals sneaking thru your camp at night or pursued an arrow wounded bear thru almost impenetrable brush only to see him coming back towards you and you can't even draw your bow then you don't have the basis for an intelligent opinion.

nickman said......."I am just saying, that in spite of the fact that the authorities cannot seem to find and prosecute the dope growers, they are likely to find and prosecute you or I for carrying a gun to protect ourselves from people they can't or won't find."

That is the big problem, right there. If a person wants to strap on a big hog leg while bowhunting in CA, there is a good chance that if a warden sees you in the act, you will be cited. Nobody wants that kind of hassle. I totally understand that. I have a Dan Wesson .44 Mag with 8 3/8" barrel. It does NOT go with me on a bow hunt. To see me bowhunting, you would think I was as innocent as a new born baby.:)

Eel

Nickman,
You state that if a person has a Concealed Weapons Permit they can carry while archery hunting. Not so, nor can off duty peace officers.
Sageman, as for people packing out of fear, you are wrong. I pack at all times, anywhere in the U.S. except federal buildings when off duty or while bow hunting in CA. Why? Because I can. I dont think anyone that knows me would call me a coward, not that I'm some bad ass, I'm not, but I'm no coward. Sageman, take some advise from a friendly, go to Col. Dave Grossman's site and maybee purchase a set of CD's from one of his seminars and you might understand where I'm comming from.
As for CA. Gamewardens being lazy. BS! I am not a Game Warden, I would not want their job! They get paid half of what we do. The majority of people they deal with are armed. They are extremely understaffed. There back-up... what back-up? If they are lucky an SO deputy or a Chip may be within 30 minutes response time. Oh, and they volunteer to leave their families to cover areas that don't have a Warden assigned. Lazy..I THINK NOT! I have known many Game Wardens in this messed up state. I have liked them all except 1. He was a genuine piece of work and his own people including his captain couldn't stand him.
So Sageman, If you wish to be all you can be, have at it. But I like to think of a sidearm the same way I think of insurance policies, they aint necessary until you need them, but when you do it sure is nice having them there.
Norkalnimrod

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom