no forkhorns for grown men

"1) a population goal is not the same as carrying capacity. Utah has done tons of habitat work to try and increase carrying capacity to grow herds to population goals. The problem is that most units have goals that are above what the habitat can hold."

Carrying capacity of habitat is in reference to the entire range of a given population not just winter range. In average or good winters a the winter range can hold a booming population without damage to habitat or the herd. In bad winters the herd will be thinned. Populations should be above what a hard winter can sustain thereby creating a survival of the fittest strength in the herd. Not WAY above but above. Extreme winters such as 07 and 08 in the Gunnison Basin will hurt the herd and take the young and old regardless of population.

"severe winterkill has been an issue on general units in recent years...especially in Colorado."

There are no General Units in CO. And the 0 or 1 point units are not suffering from excess deer on the winter range. Nor are any that I know of near carrying capacity let alone have too high of a buck to doe ratio. The areas hit hard by the 07 and 08 winters were draw units that required at least 2 or 3 NR points.

"This winterkill would NOT have occurred had the habitat been able to hold more deer..."

And you KNOW this HOW? Severe winters kill even with PLENTY of food all the time. Often the food is there just inaccessible from deep snow etc..

"3) Deer units exist all over the flippin' west with too high of buck/doe ratios...the Henry's is the perfect example. The Henry's unit would be growing at a much faster rate if they weren't holding so many bucks in the population that are fighting over limited summer range. Heck, it is easy to see that the Henry's is at or near carrying capacity because growth is so slow...despite tons and tons of habitat work and predator control. General season units in Utah are where they should be with buck/doe ratios minus a couple which are too low...Colorado and Nevada on the other hand are different stories."

Again you CANNOT compare a draw unit with a general unit in this case. I am not even slightly familiar with the Henry's unit (except for the drooler bucks that i see on sights like this) so I have to take your word that its population is in some kind of trouble but this is the first I have heard of it.

So all the whining here about the herds in UT are unfounded and things are peachy on all but a couple general units in your state? Again this is the first I have heard this.

Colorado and Nevada are different stories alright as they seem to be on every mulie hunters short list so I guess that must be what you mean.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Grown men don't cry about other people shooting 2 points!!! Grown men learn how to hunt the big ones under any circumstance. Whine about the pumpkin patch if you want. Maybe someday someone will tie a big buck to a tree for you. As for me I will shoot whatever I want to shoot.

There will always be big bucks on the winter range that dont get shot. We dont need the 2 points on the winter range so why whine about people reducing the pressure on the antlerless deer? Its a win win situation when 2 points or yearlings are harvested.

"There will always be big bucks on the winter range that dont get shot. We dont need the 2 points on the winter range so why whine about people reducing the pressure on the antlerless deer? Its a win win situation when 2 points or yearlings are harvested."

Your right we should kill all of the two points in existence that will improve the herd because then genetically bucks will be born with three points on their head and grow from there.

As for shooting what you want I think that is great and you should as long as it's legal.

Bill

>ok, zeke its obvious your one
>of the posers on this
>site, that uses the deer
>hunt for a chance to
>kill something, its no
>wonder why the forkhorn title
>on this post got your
>little hackles up! you
>should gather up the other
>crap talkers on this site,
>and go stir up
>the b.s. on meatbuckforkhorn.com.
>you can get back on
>this site when you want
>to see pics of the
>grown up bucks, that you
>guys miss.

Wow, that makes me laugh....... You are an idiot.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I'm a big fan of letting people do whatever the hell floats their boat! If they want to kill a spike, 2 point, go for it. I've killed enough deer that I always try and kill bigger. But thats just me. I also have a sniper rifle set up and can kill game at 700+ yards and there are alot of cry babys that think its wrong. But thats just me and nobody is going to tell me how I should or shouldn't hunt. And I'm not going to tell others how they need to hunt.
There are plenty of good bucks in utah if your willing to actually hunt more then opening day, maybe a good start would be put your 12 pack of beer down and pick up your binos. But, I'm not going to tell you how to hunt.

I agree with your entire post dryboot and will restate I simply think the herd would benefit from a law change.

Bill

1.) Do you guys know what a sustainable buck to doe ratio is? Maybe I will let you guess before I answer.

2.) Are you guys really asking for more restrictions in exchange for temporary buck quality?

3.) 2 points and yearling bucks are a renewable resource. Nearly half the fawn crop that survives the winter will come back next year as 2pts and if they are competing with 2pts that are protected by regulation they are less likely to survive and that same crop includes does' which enable the herd to recover unlike the 2pts.

4.) Why on earth would we manage deer the opposite way that we manage elk for trophy quality? If anything we should limit harvests to yearling deer only but that would upset the limited entry balance and then no one would have a chance at harvesting a big buck.

I can understand if you feel that you aren't seeing the same quality of deer that you have seen in the past, but I don't think that point restrictions is the solution. When pockets of big bucks are harvested you need to find a new pocket rather than request that the state protect them until maturity. If we protect all bucks to maturity it detracts from the prestige of harvesting a trophy buck.

>ok, zeke its obvious your one
>of the posers on this
>site, that uses the deer
>hunt for a chance to
>kill something, its no
>wonder why the forkhorn title
>on this post got your
>little hackles up! you
>should gather up the other
>crap talkers on this site,
>and go stir up
>the b.s. on meatbuckforkhorn.com.
>you can get back on
>this site when you want
>to see pics of the
>grown up bucks, that you
>guys miss.

What an IDIOT!!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-11 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]"2 points and yearling bucks are a renewable resource. Nearly half the fawn crop that survives the winter will come back next year as 2pts and if they are competing with 2pts that are protected by regulation they are less likely to survive and that same crop includes does' which enable the herd to recover unlike the 2pts."

This point does make sense and is well taken however, I still think for them to out-compete others for feed the herd has to be at or near peak for a given habitat, and ask again is this truly the case on any general areas in any state? I don't really know so am asking but I believe the answer is no.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!3.)

The number one factor limiting our herds is habitat loss and the absence of traditional wintering grounds. So by reducing (not completely eliminating, that would be impossible) the number of non contributing yearling bucks on the winter range, we increase the amount of female reproducing deer which increases the total population of the herd. A sustainable buck to doe ratio is 4:100 so an objective of 18:100 is strongly catered to the trophy hunter and hurts our over all deer population...

Such ratios are calculated post season. So if you consider our current circumstance with a pre season ratio of 35-40:100 and then a post season ratio of 18:100 it might appear to be great but we are eliminating a lot of deer for the sake of harvesting more mature bucks.

by harvesting more bucks and managing Utah for a post season ratio of 10:100 more fertile females survive the winter a new fawn crop is born and the pre season ratio still remains at 35-40:100 and with consistent recruitment the ratio may increase...

So you see the more yearlings are harvested the healthier the herd and the happier the hunters. If you want more trophy opportunity recruit new hunters distribute more buck tags and like always HUNT HARD....

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-13-11
>AT 09:31?AM (MST)

>
>"2 points and yearling bucks are
>a renewable resource. Nearly half
>the fawn crop that survives
>the winter will come back
>next year as 2pts and
>if they are competing with
>2pts that are protected by
>regulation they are less likely
>to survive and that same
>crop includes does' which enable
>the herd to recover unlike
>the 2pts."
>
>
> This point does make sense
>and is well taken however,
>I still think for them
>to out-compete others for feed
>the herd has to be
>at or near peak for
>a given habitat, and ask
>again is this truly the
>case on any general areas
>in any state? I don't
>really know so am asking
>but I believe the answer
>is no.
>
>Bill
>
>Look out Forkie, FTW is watching
>us!3.)

According to the UDWR we are at capacity. Not my words. The problem is that it's not what the public wants to hear. Hell, I don't want to hear it either. But it's their assessment.

Every hunter who takes home a 2 point instead of holding out for a mature buck is helping your chances of harvesting a big buck.Didnt think this one through did ya?

Reactor , you wouldn't happen to work for a Game Dept. would you?

I get the science , I just don't believe it.

The guys shooting the two points and getting out of the woods aren't doing trophy hunters ANY good because 99% of them would not kill a buck if they couldn't shoot a forkie.

Bill

>
>So all the whining here about
>the herds in UT are
>unfounded and things are peachy
>on all but a couple
>general units in your state?
>Again this is the first
>I have heard this.
>
>Colorado and Nevada are different stories
>alright as they seem to
>be on every mulie hunters
>short list so I guess
>that must be what you
>mean.
>
>Bill
>
>

Bill, things are not peachy in any state in the entire western US when it comes to mule deer. But, as Colorado and Nevada have unequivocally shown, carrying extra bucks in the herd will NOT result in more deer...in fact, it is resulting in fewer. So, if Utah wants to follow the path that these states have already trod, we should know the end result--fewer deer and fewer fawns. Carrying more bucks in the population than is necessary is akin to shooting yourself in the foot...if the population is below objective. The only units that should ever carry extra bucks are those that are at or above population objectives.

ok, enough with the biology, and statistics, from the replies to this post it sounds like alot of you are swallowing their b. s. your on a website dedicated to trophy class mule deer, and using state funded deer count numbers to justify shooting young bucks. Go ahead and shoot what you want, the fish and game will continue to sell you a ticket to a sold out show.

Maybe I'm not understanding mylands motives.. I suppose the scientific research, data collected by educated biologists, and factual evidence is too much. On individually operated CWMU's (not state managed) it has been observed that once a buck to doe ratio exceeds 20:100 which it will soon be, (state objective is now 18:100) it has been observed that the mature bucks are the ones that pay the price. The likely hood of over exertion during the rut puts them in a very fragile situation prior to winter.

Since deer are not monogomous a buck will expend a lot of energy tending in excess of 10 does' at a time. So where he would normally compete with 3-4 mature bucks during the rut he now has to chase off a larger amount of competition...

So you see if you really want a mature buck the tactic should not be to encourage other hunters raise a crop of bucks to make your hunt easier, but rather to evolve as a hunter yourself and find the singled out buck that you want to pursue.

Last fact:Since the inception of the Boone and Crockett club 1 in 52,000 tags in the state of Utah makes the entry in the all time records on average. Which means that the more bucks are killed the more entries get listed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom