No Fuel available at Denio Junction

NevadaNomad

To my surprise while traveling to the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge Sunday that I found out that the gas station at Denio Junction is shut-down!! I spoke with the bartender and she said they do not expect to have gas until September "at the earliest".

The telephone number to the Denio Junction Cafe/Bar is: (775) 941-0171 .. you may call to verify and get updates on when gas may be available there.

A message is posted on the pumps there: "We will be out of gas until New Tanks & Dispensers are installed this spring. Nearest fuel is

North - Fields (OREGON) 26 miles
South - Paradise Chevron Station(north of Winnemucca) 77 miles
West - Adel (OREGON) 82 miles Lakeview (OREGON) 115 miles"

The above mileage information is "one way" travel from Denio Junction. And of course a gas station attendant must gas your vehicle for you in Oregon, they are not self-service. Their hours of operation are limited.

There is also Cedarville, California which is approximately 46 miles from the southwest boundary of the Sheldon which "I believe" is self-serve?? As I remember the road is part gravel and part paved.

I brought two full 5 gallon gas cans as precaution and it payed off this trip . I will take more than two on my next trip for sure.

Be safe and best of luck to everyone.

Thanks for the heads-up. And to any who might travel to Cedarville, that is a much more time-consuming drive that one might expect for 46 miles.

Thanks for that message NN! I'm going with my Wyoming buddy who drew the only NR cali BigHorn Sheep tag for the Beaty Butte unit north of the border and plans are to camp with the guide John has hired right at the border near Denio. It sounds like he can either bring gas from Adel to us if we need any or we'll have to go up into the unit at Fields. Thanks much for the info.!!!

Thanks for the post. I will be in the Sheldon come late Oct through early Nov. So maybe they will have fuel by then? Does anyone know if they usually have diesel fuel?

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Thanks for the heads up. No fun running out of fuel with 100 degree temps and few people around. There's some remote country out there. If I go I'll be packing at least 10 gallons to be safe.

Due to reasons like this I always hunt with two 6 gallon VP brand fuel cans and an extra spare tire (two spares total) on my TireGate. The two fuel cans and my truck's tank gives me 46 gallons of diesel and nearly a 750 mile range (depending on the roads). The TireGate still allows use of the hitch for towing too.

Best $900 I spent for my tuck!

http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom