No inlines for me...yet

E

eags

I have a great old (20 years or so) T/C .50 calliber muzzleloader. Before I make the switch to an inline I want to make a solid harvest on a hunt using this gun. I have serious trouble making any type of a group at 100 yards at the shooting range. I shoot 80 grains of pyrodex and lead balls. Can any of you recommend different loads or bullets? Some have recommended using sabots that are made of a copper alloy. Can you shoot sabots on these older guns?

eags I don't think you can shoot sabots through those barrels . Ii'd try a few differant powder loads as differant bullets . Theres alot of guys on here very willing to help that also have and shoot traditional muskets . I have only inlines with scopes , but I am gonna get me a traditional muzzleloader in time . My only other advice is to sight in at 25 then 50 yards , than move on to 75 and 100 after your gun is grouping at the closer ranges . My good friend from Gallup shot an antelope two years ago , down hill 110 yards with his open sight hawkins . He did put on a green mtn. barrel and if I remember correct , he was shooting 89 grains of selct and a round ball.....Bets of luck to ya ....NMhuntnutt

I meant to say I'd try differant powders as well as differant bullets ....NMhuntnutt

Eags

What model of T/C is that? What is the twist and barrel length? At what yardage do you get your best groups & are they 3" or better?

Honey!.. I swear I got that stainless rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband.. I would never lie to you babycakes!

It's a cap lock Hawken style. I'm 90% sure it is a 1 in 48" twist, though it might be a 1 in 40" twist. I've only shot it at targets on a 100 yard range without ever really getting any type of a group. I promise I'm a decent shot with other rifles. This has open sights, no scope. T/C recommends using 80 grains with balls for an optimal muzzle velocity of 1838 feet/second and muzzle energy of 1313 feet lbs. This is what I have shot, but no luck. I'll run a patch down the barrel to clean it between every 4th-5th shot.

A friend has the same gun and has had good luck with Nozzler XTP 230 grain sabots with 150 grains of pyrodex. I know sabots aren't traditionally used in these types of muzzes, but they worked for him. These bullets were a hard copper alloy that didn't expand much at all.

Any suggestions?

Most rifles with twists in the 40s don't shoot the balls too well. The best round ball twist for the 50 cal I believe is 1-60 to 1-66.

A friend of mine has a similar Thompson that's 1-48. Did not fare well with light sabots at first. Then he bought some 350 grain Maxi Hunter conicals that worked great with around 90-100 loose pyro ffg.. 2" groups at 100 yards. He also had the same success with CVA's 300 grain Buckslayers. Precision bullets makes the 350 grain Colorado conical that should be nice for that rifle. All 3 can be purchased at Cabelas.com.

Honey!.. I swear I got that stainless rifle free from an elderly widow at work that recently lost her husband.. I would never lie to you babycakes!

TC had some of their early-mid 80's Hawken rifles with round ball twists (1:66), so don't just guess, measure the rate. Tight patch on your cleaning jag, mark the ramrod, and calculate the twist. Several friends found they got excellent groups with the shorter 45 cal. jacketed pistol bullets (180 and 200) and sabots with 90-100 gr. loads of both Goex blackpowder and Pyrodex. If it is a slow twist gun, then next, try both .490 and .495 round balls with different thickness patching. Shoot for 50 yard groups until you find an accurate one. Try the Maxi-balls, or Hornady bullets and maybe you will find one the gun really likes. Good luck, and have fun burning powder.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom