No luck on SMR

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
My boy had a tough oryx hunt on the Small Missile Range this weekend. The oryx numbers are way down from what I had seen just a few years ago. I've been beating myself up for not researching the area before putting my kid in, but that's how it goes. I recieved plenty of info after he drew that I knew it was going to be tough. I think the final count on the hunt was 23 of 48 hunters filled out. Pretty good odds if it was a mule deer hunt, but pretty low of a OIL oryx hunt. That being said, my boy did have some opportunities, and with any luck at all, would have come home with a filled tag. We only saw about 15 oryx all weekend, but some of that had to do with where we hunted. We decided to keep to areas that we knew didn't have a lot of oryx, but would be very huntable when we did find them. It was a good strategy, and led to a couple of really good stalks.
My boy did make a shot on a very large bull. In fact, put two shots into the chest. Amazingly, the bull was still running. I thought for sure he was going to tip over a couple of times, but even after taking a few nose dives, was still on the move. Those animals are incredibly tough. The last we saw him, he was a couple of hundred yards away, and made it over a hill. We looked for a couple of hours before calling in G&F for reinforcements. They helped us for a few more hours, then called it quits. My dad and I decided to continue looking and gridding the area, still optimistic that we would find him. After a total of 7 hours, and the hunt winding down, we had to admit that we lost it. It was really heartbreaking, but my boy handled like a man.
Whether you agree with our decision or not, we hunted the last few hours hoping to fill my boy's tag. The F&G even encouraged us to do so. That evening, we did see a few, and almost had a chance at one of them, but didn't work out.
On the bright side, we did meet some quality people, including Balz from this website. If you go on an oryx hunt, be sure to stop and talk to him a the gate, and if you're successful, be sure to leave your oryx with him. He provides a great service for the hunters on the range.

It sounds to me like you still had a great hunt.

There's no guarantees. If there were, it wouldn't be as challenging or fun.

At least you're boy got a shot, and although it's unfortunate that he lost it, I know first hand how tough these critters are. We've taken 3 with a 7mm Rem. Mag. (with quality ammunition) that each took 4 well placed rounds to keep down, and I know 2 people that have been charged by oryx "anchored" via 300 Win Mag. It's amazing what kind of shock these animals can absorb.

Any time you can get a good shot at a decent animal, it's a success. It sure beats going out there and not seeing anything at all.

You, your son, and your dad have a memorable hunt story to share.

We did have a great time. It may not sound like it from the post, but it was good. Now we're on to unit 15 for some elk this weekend.

Man, I feel your pain. I have two sons, and its so hard to get it done, not alone hunting a hard to put down beast! Glad you had a good time regardless...Better luck next time to you guys....Its all about spending time with the family and friends!

taxi,

That has to hurt! I feel bad for the boy. These OIL hunts are different because there is not an "always next year." Hopefully off range or something down the road?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom