No ML in Gila???

hntbambi

Is there a specific reason there is no muzzleloader season in the 16 hunting areas other than 16E? Why no 16A, B, D? Do they figure that since 15 and 17 are bow/ML only they will not offer it in 16?

It's for a good reason i think. If you haven't noticed the herds in 12 and 13 have made a huge comeback from 10 years ago. They use to over prescribe tags and hunt in the rut. Unit 12 and 13 are now prescribing very few tags which is in-line with growth. The rest of the units in NM are way over prescribed. Look at 16a and compare these numbers with a unit of similar size in arizona or utah. The only way to combat this is to not allow anyone to hunt during the rut. this allows more people to hunt but to allow the bigger bulls time to go back into hiding. If 16a had an ML hunt they would only one of two choices. 1.) Hunt in the prime of the rut and greatly reduce both rifle and ML tags. 2.) Push the rifle hunt back even further so that ML hunters would have a chance during the end of the rut resulting in rifle hunters having to hunt bulls in their winter ground which very few people can successfully do.
Just my opinion though.

I have wondered the same thing at times. The rifle hunts are "Any Legal Sporting Arm" though, so if you wanted to hunt them with a muzzleloader, or a bow for that matter, you could.

I agree with the above post, that they have set a couple of units as "Primitive" and there is just not enought time to place more hunts in the 16's without putting too much pressure on the elk, or pushing rifle hunts way back.

Jeff

Makes sence, thanks guys. NM does seem to have a problem with game management. I have been in the state for just over 2 years now but I have heard stories about the past. Unreal! Sure they have to balance revenue and populations, but the amplitude of the roller coaster signature of allotments is amazing.

I don't see why a ML season would push the rifle shooters back. I could see moving the bow shooters to the left, like most of the other units do.

I get your point huntswnm, and I will be doing this for muleys. I have a general tag but will be carrying my ML.

unit 13 gives out 50 late rut permits and unit 12 gives out only 20 late rut permits. This is perfect to put them in-line with arizona. Now they only need to get rid of all landowner permits and look out baby! We currently need to reduce all tag by at least 80% in my opinion. Look at unit 15. The first ml hunt gives out 125 tags. They also give out over 200 landowner unit wide tags and another 75+ ranch only tags. Almost all these tags are designated for the first hunt. That means that on the first ml hunt in 15 you have more than 400 hunters in that unit. Personal experience over the last several says its a freakin nighmare in there and that the quality of bull is seriously going downhill. That hunt is not a quality hunt for the simple fact that if you don't shoot your bull within 30 minutes of opening light someone else will. After the first day in 15 the hunt is pretty much a drag. Most other units in NM are like this as well. It would be nice to see some inteligent people running the show here in NM. I say screw it. I'm goin to Utah next year. That's a state with some know how and boy do they have some monster bulls.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-08 AT 01:06PM (MST)[p]NMDGF isn't in it for managing QUALITY. They are only about quantity! Look at the recent rules changes. 5x5 or better for even the bowhunters in a couple of choice units for three years and the quality was on it's way up but a few whinetits and it all went back to the same old song and dance. They are starting to look like its all about the $$ now. Look out NM. I think they are going to start putting rabbits on a draw only permit soon! Barbary sheep going to the draw next year on unlimited tags. $8 for each application... you do the math!
Also check out the numbers on tag allocation. They will tell you that the draw is all about herd management but when you give out 2500 rifle tags for deer and only 2 or 300 bow tags for the same unit something smells fishy. Bowhunters typically don't have the highest success rates so what's up with that?? I can't figure them out and I think it's because I keep trying to put a good reason behind it and try not to think it REALLY is because of the money. They are making some pretty big bucks off the auction and raffle tags but still they continue this other mess with their "draw??" I was being a smarta$$ with the rabbit thing but I gotta wonder how far will they go with this charade!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom