No more refuges ?

NECALI

Sorry if this has been posted already, but in our local paper there's an article from a former Ca. game warden who said the DFG is recommending abolishing all refuges in California.
Has anyone heard anything about this? It says they recommended this a couple years ago and the Legislators passed a law setting some guidelines to do this. but they have not been following them and plan on starting the closures soon.
This would be another nail in the coffin of our struggling deer herds. This is not good and I have no idea what they are thinking!

Have you ever drove through a refuge before ,they are no more deer in them than on the other side of the imaginary line, the deer do live to be oler age but its not like the populations tripled in side of them because they are not hunted.

I have driven through refuges,and even if I don't see alot of deer, I know their there. The refuge between Deer creek and Mill creek in Tehama county holds alot of good bucks until after the season closes and the weather and rut bring them down. If there's a good storm they will start comming out. There's a place between the two creeks called the narrows where most of the deer are channeled through when they start migrating. It's only about a mile wide and the game warden said if there's no refuge and a good storm hit's the bucks would be slaughtered. Also, I live up here about 30 miles from the Dixie refuge which is west of Doyle. The reason the Doyle muzzleloader hunt can be so good is because those bucks are in the refuge during the archery and rifle season. So there may be some refuges that don't help the deer herd in that area but up here it would be devastating.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom