non-hunting yellowstone??

msolocam

so i am in salt lake city on vacation from alaska and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a good day hike in yellowstone?? i always see the pictures of everyone with sheds and such and have always wanted to go!!! if anyone has any places in mind that they wouldn,t mind sharing i would greatly appreciate it!!! thanks in advance

I would avoid picking up sheds in Yellowstone unless you enjoy time in a federal prison. Check out http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/winteruse.htm

It might be a good idea to stay in the park and avoid the hunters this time of year. Good places in the park before the snow flies is Pelican Valley....lots of bears and other critters. Lewis Lake area is also good.

Specimen Ridge or the Antelope Butte Flats. I believe that's their name. Have fun and take lots of pics. Probably too much snow though.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-08 AT 04:44AM (MST)[p]Heart lake trail is a good one. The first few miles are easy hiking through new growth forest. Then it drops into the Heart Lake Themal Field. AMAZING! All the cool geothermal/guyser sites like yellowstone is known for but NO boarwalks, no fenced off areas and no people. They kinda tell you to stay on the trail so as not to fall in and cook yourself, but we really didn't find any questionable footing while out exploring. Take your rod, fishing is good. Whereever you go, better go soon cause they shut the park gates pretty soon.

Lamar Valley is a good road trip. The park closes to vehicle traffic on Monday (Nov. 3).

Lamar Valley, Tower, and Dunraven are the places to see bears and wolves. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (artist point) are always worth seeing. If you flyfish, this time of year the Lamar and Firehole fish well. Have fun!

gee, if the park closes to vehicle traffic then how have all those nice folks living in Cooke City been getting supplies from Gardiner and beyond via the park road all these years? ;-)

berto,

They won't be going through the West Yellowstone or south entrances, which is where you would have to go if you were coming from Salt Lake City.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom