Non Lead statewide

GunSlinger

Did everyone get their email with the non lead reminder? July 1 all wildlife taken in this ?forward thinking? state must be taken by non lead ammo. Not a huge deal for big game since almost half the state has been non lead for some time. How is this going to effect the most popular dove hunt. Has anyone seen non lead 7.5 shot?

Yep. Been out awhile. Lots of state hunting areas and refuges went no lead awhile ago. Never shot any doves with it, or bought any.

#livelikezac

non lead does not apply when hunting dove, snipe & a couple of other birds. check the fish & wildlife proclamation...?...yd.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-19 AT 12:02PM (MST)[p]Could you post where you are reading that YUKON......I'm afraid you are wrong...

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

HEY HOMER, I JUST CHECKED...?..AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT THE DOVE CLAUSE IS NO LONGER IN PRINT. YOUR RIGHT...?..THIS IS GOING TO BE A SHOCK TO A TON OF DOVE HUNTERS. IF THIS IS THE CASE GOING FOWARD, I THINK ITS A ANTI HUNTING MOVE FOR SURE. THE NON LEAD RIFLE/CENTERFIRE LAW I CAN UNDERSTAND...?..BUT NOT NON LEAD
FOR DOVE HUNTING.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A SHOCK/ INTERESTING COME SEPTEBER.....YD.

>
> HEY HOMER, I
>JUST CHECKED...?..AND THIS IS THE
>FIRST TIME THAT THE DOVE
>CLAUSE IS NO LONGER IN
>PRINT. YOUR RIGHT...?..THIS IS
>GOING TO BE A SHOCK
>TO A TON OF DOVE
>HUNTERS. IF THIS IS
>THE CASE GOING FOWARD, I
>THINK ITS A ANTI HUNTING
>MOVE FOR SURE. THE
>NON LEAD RIFLE/CENTERFIRE LAW I
>CAN UNDERSTAND...?..BUT NOT NON LEAD
>
> FOR DOVE HUNTING.
>
>
> THIS IS GOING TO
>BE A SHOCK/ INTERESTING COME
>SEPTEBER.....YD.

22970domino.jpg

I will admit to using some 20 ga 7-1/2 shot steel and saw no problem with it.....other than hard to find and expensive.....

hard on your teeth when you find one....but nothing duck eaters haven't gotten used to...

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I do remember the line you are referring to Yukon......I guess it was an exemption to keep the screaming down as long as they could.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I HAVE FOUND #8 DOVE LOAD NON LEAD FOR $ 11.00 A BOX. ONLY ON THE INTERNET THOUGH. THE STORES WILL BE TAD HIGHER I AM AFRAID...?...YD.

I saw some Winchester 20 ga. at Cabellas in Boise last month for 7.99 7's and 6's no 7.5 's. i will be coming to Clovis to hunt Doves with some old friends i grew up with , but i'll be packin lead. God i'm glad i left that S. Hole 47 years ago !!!

PEOPLE FLOCK TO CLOVIS, POPULATION 120 THOUSAND PLUS. GREAT LIVING CONDITIONS, SCHOOLS POLICE & FIRE DEPTS. I DONT KNOW MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE LEFT. THE WEATHER IS GREAT, 72 DEGREES TODAY...??????? BEST SMALL CITY IN CALIF. 4 YEARS IN A ROW SAYS SUNSET MAGAZINE...????.GREAT LIVING...???..YD.

you will shoot much more accurate with the steel, mainly because it is faster and inside 40 there is not much of a lead adjustment.the pattern does spread more outside 40 but I suspect it wont take long for them to perfect light loads like they have for waterfowl. I don't believe they will improve on price.I have been using kent #7

I meant to say California, Clovis is a nice town,and we use to go there back in the late 60's to drink in the cowboy bars when i was going to Fresno State, population was about 5000.

LAST EDITED ON May-29-19 AT 00:03AM (MST)[p]Been using steel for chukar for 2 years now.

Since doves die at the sound of the gun going off, any standard #7 should be fine.

What works for us on chukar is fast, one size bigger than before.

So I use 3?, 1 1/8 oz, 1550 FPS, #5 for 1st shot, #4s for next 2.

Doesn?t kill as good as lead, but it is what it is.

>Been using steel 7s for 4years
>now on doves. They
>work just fine. I
>usually buy it by the
>case online.
>
>Cheers- Dave
well that won't work anymore....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have heard that Federal TSS #9s will kill doves at 150 yards when fired through a Carlson's .660 choke tube.

Maybe I'll just hunt Nevada...

I bought some of those also along with some Federal "Steel Game & Target"#7's in steel. 12 and 20ga. Work fine on dove. Quail get #6 steel. Been doing this for the last two upland season's here in Ca.
New to this site. Cool to find a site to actually read about Ca, good or bad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom