Non-res elk archery help

bullelk97

I thought I would throw out a few units that I was given for OTC archery elk and would like any input. Just looking for a good hunt to be able to get a branch antlered bull. I have been led to units 36, 37, 371, 44, 444, and 65. We have been looking at the tip sheets on the DOW website but would like some input from people who have hunted these units. Like the looks of all of them but would like to narrow it down. Any direction to narrow down these choices would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've hunted 444 a lot over many years and mostly in one general area. It took us many years to consistantly find elk. Not saying that you can't get lucky but not tons of elk. I archery hunted it two years ago and have muzzy hunted several times and rifle hunted also many times. Not hunted 44 ever but we hunt not far from the border of the 2 units and I wouldn't expect a whole lot different. I've hunted 371 and 37 a few times and normally later. I have seen elk early scouting in these units and generally I found 371 had fewer areas to access the public areas since Silverthorne is on the border and has a lot of private that limits some access in that area. I've hunted off Vail Pass with not much luck and I think you'd have to hike in quite a ways to get into the elk there. In 37, it also has limited access along the Silverthorn corridor but decent access as you go further North. I've not hunted 37 early ever or scouted early but I do plan to do that this year.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-12 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]Unit 65 has some great country and some great bulls. We ran into quite a few bulls in a 3rd Season Deer Hunt up high that would have made plenty of hunters happy. A couple trail cameras came up with some heavy action and some good bulls. Hard to beat the views too.

PICT0073.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

PICT0051.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

XMarksDSpot.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom