non resident question

couesmagnet

My question is if there are 50 or 60 tags for a given hunt, is it possible for 2 guys to get drawn on the same application for that hunt. With the new non resident caps i'm not sure this is possible.Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yes it is possible. If you are a non-res without outfitter they give 6% of the tags so 3 for 60 tags. If your application is one of the first in the random draw and if there is two people on that application you will receive 2 of the 3 tags. If they come to your application and 2 of the 3 spots are filled then they will look for openings on your second choice.

dwalt08 nailed it.

Also be aware (whether R or NR) NM doesn't round up/add tags. So if there are 4 guys on an application and only 3-tags left the entire group gets tossed and they go to the next.

Other places (WY is one I'm aware of) will give all guys a tag and if necessary readjust the total tags allocated the following year.

Also, in the remote chance that an application has both R & NR together, when the app is pulled out of the hat, there must be both R & NR tags still available or again the entire app gets tossed out.

Another thing to consider when looking at % of applicant that draw for second and third choice hunts is that applicants that draw their first choice their numbers are still included.

For example: Joe and 3 buddies put in for unit 34 3rd season as first choice, 34 2nd season as second choice and 34 1st season as third choice and draw 34 3rd season, it will still show that those 4 people applied for 2 other hunts but since they were already drawn the % of people applied vs drew is actually higher than NM reports on all 2nd and 3rd choice hunts.

Just to clarify/add to smarba's post, Game and fish WILL round up the number of tags they give out, but Smarba is correct in saying that they will not round up the tag when your name comes up and there are not enough tags left.
Example- if there are 15 tags for a certain hunt, that means there are 1.5 tags available for the outfitter pool (10% of 15). That means the game and fish will actually round up and issue 2 tags for that hunt since you cant issue half a tag.
Now if you and a buddy apply together and one of those two tags was already issued, then you are SOL. They will try and fill your 2nd and 3rd choice, then move on to the next application in line to issue that one tag. That's how it was explained to me anyway by an employee at NMGF.

Apply separately
Double your chance at a hunt, or hunting trip...
If one draws go help your buddy. If there was only one tag left, then you draw, if there was only one tag left and you applied together, then you get bumped and you don't get to go on a hunting trip.

If there are 50 "non-resident guided" tags and only 30 apply, where do the rest of those tags go? To the resident or non resident applicants?

>Outfitter pool does not discern between
>R and NR. Its all
>one pool.

I think the question was what happens if the outfitter pool has more tags than applicants. Do the tags go unissued during the draw? Do the tags then go into leftover pool where as I recall residents get first access?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-14 AT 06:58AM (MST)[p]>Example- if there are 15 tags
>for a certain hunt, that
>means there are 1.5 tags
>available for the outfitter pool
>(10% of 15). That means
>the game and fish will
>actually round up and issue
>2 tags for that hunt.....

Is that rule written in the regulations? I know of cases when they rounded down.

>If there are 50 "non-resident guided"
>tags and only 30 apply,
>where do the rest of
>those tags go? To the
>resident or non resident applicants?
>

I don't think you have to worry about that.
That would be a unit with 500 tags.
No left over tags in Bull hunts these days...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom