Nontypical mtn goat

marley

Very Active Member
I know this is a terrible picture but does anyone know if this goat was ever killed in Willard Peak? I drew the nanny tag in 2012 and she was my number 1. I found her the day before the opener and then couldn’t turn her up. I ended up shooting a huge nanny and she rolled down the hill and kicked this goat out of her bed. I was so bummed. Anyone ever kill her?
IMG_4881.jpeg

I think they called her the banana nanny. I hunted the unit in 2014 and heard talk about her but not sure what happened to her. That was back when the unit was good. It is destroyed now. It was a super fun hunt when I had the tag.

I know at one point that unit had way too many goats, so they took a bunch off to supplement and start new herds. In addition high permit numbers took that unit way down in population, which was probably needed for the health of the herd. Now, however, I see they only give one tag on that unit. That begs the question, why are goats not thriving there like they used to?

I believe they are trying to kill them all off at this point. Vaguely remember something about environmentalists suing over goats in this area...hopefully someone will chime in with the reason as the management plan at some point was 3 areas, Willard, ogden and Davis with 500 goats, but that's not happening now.

I know that when I drew a nanny tag they issued 25 tags that year and I think again the year after that. It was WAY over crowded with hunters during my hunt. The parking lot was full and people were sleeping on the trail. I literally had to step over two guys blocking the trail to the north. Dumbest hunt I've ever had.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom