Nor Cal Fishing Trip (pics)

HunterHarry

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-10 AT 06:32AM (MST)[p]January kicks off the new Steelhead season.
After several frustrating attempts and many miles on the road, we finally got into some fish.
My son had an extra week off for winter break and we hit the road again.
North coast rains brought some fresh fish into our northern rivers.

The kid has just been running circles around the old man lately both in the woods and in the water.

3-6.jpg

5-12.jpg

15-2.jpg

At first light on the second day of the road trip, Thomas fluttered a little Cleo into a sweet looking pool and was slammed by this dime bright beauty.

17-2.jpg

34410476.jpg

I just could do sh*t.
Four trips and ZIP.
Here we were on the afternoon of the third day of this roadtrip now and I had pretty much relegated myself to Thomas personal photographer.

All of a sudden.....SLAM.

The fish runs upstream about fifty yards, then does a U turn and rockets down toward a submerges tree, I high stick him, & freespool him around the horrible snag.
Miraculously he went just where I wanted.
I batted him into the calm water fifty yards downstream and after some rence moments beach him on the gravel.
Wow!
A native beauty!

86750632.jpg

I got no measurements of that fine fish, but wish I knew what he weighed.
I revived him and released him to fight another day.

We fished hard till dark & called it a day.
We camped out that night and slept soundly, listening to the raindrops pounding on the roof of the camper shell.

The next morning we put on the clammy waders, fixed a pot of coffee and headed back to the river.

Right away Thomas had a taker.
Two cartwheels and a spirited fight and the kid beached the lil girl.

17943243.jpg

All in all a great roadtrip with my best fishing buddy.
The spectacular scenery of winter steelhead fishing is only matched by having a great companion.
HH

1-29.jpg

(Thanks for the tip Eel!)
:)

Wow! Awesome fish--awesome trip! One day I'll catch a steelie like that. They don't look like that when they make it 800 miles upstream to Idaho.

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for them to arrive. Only 3 months!!

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

"The kid has been running circles around the old man lately, both in the woods and the water".

Yea! Harry, and you get a kick out of him doing it also. At lease you do a bang up job on the photographs. Thanks for sharing. If eel gave you pointers on where to try for those steelies, try to find out where his deer hunting honey hole is.

RELH

HEY HARRY......HOW COME YOU NEVER LOOK ANY OLDER ....YOU LOOKED THIS SAME FOR YEARS....LUCKY YOU. THOMAS HAS GROWN UP A LUCKY GUY FOR SURE....YD.

Kid running circles around you is your fault Harry. You've created a monster.

Thomas and Harry (it used to be Harry and Thomas,:)) you guys sure know how to make me proud. It takes patience and determination to be consistant at catching as many as you two. Those are tough conditions also. You know what they say, 1000 casts per fish, average.:)

Harry, I'm going to say 15 lbs. on that native buck you're holding. Photos can be deceiving, so you have a better guess than I do.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

WOW.....congrats, big fish. There are a few good things in Cali. LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom