north dakota bighorns. which ones bigger?

joebobhunter4

i seen these 2 big sheep today in western north dakota and i was wondering what you think theyd both score and which one is bigger? thanks

heres the first one. this one has a collar on it. which they are legal to shoot.

Picture101.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Picture106.jpg

heres the second one

Picture070.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Picture087.jpg

thanks. and if you could just give me a rough score of what you think they both might make? i was hopeing in the 160's but i have no idea on how to score sheep so just give me your best guess and which one youd shoot! thanks!

I would say mid 150's tops on both. With better pics maybe someone could give a better estimate but niether strikes me as very big. Of course not knowing anything about the area, they might not get much bigger there. Both appear thin horned and 5-6 years old.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Any idea where they are transplanted from?

That might help detremine the average size bases. How about last years harvest can you get measurements and age of the sheep. How about a photo of last years harvest?

How long ago did they do the transplant? Have you asked the local F&G biologist what's out there?

Looks like the collared one is thin based 14' or so and he does not drop very far at all, he flairs but his length is short. 140-150ish. I think they both may only be 4 or 5

The second one appears about the same age and size but it is harder to tell.

Are these taken with a spotting scope?

I thnk there should be older age class rams some where in the unit. These are not the most mature rams in the herd. In my opinion.

How long is the season and when does it start and end?

Sandbrew

joebobhunter4 -

YOU ARE KILLING ME.........please oh please I want to draw a ND bighorn tag someday!!! :(
Great pics though! :)

Lien2

I would say the first sheep is the bigger one but you would be hard pressed to get 150 out of either of them. These guys are young sheep, probably 4 year olds. There are definately bigger sheep in the area.

BHB

I would say both of these rams are maybe in the mid 140's give them a few years

well ya but i dont have a few years... its a once in lifetime draw... so are you guys saying dont shoot these ones and go for a bigger one? how can i tell if its big then? these are the biggest ones ive ever seen in my life...?

He looks about the same as the other 2 140-150ish max.

In any healthly sheep herd you should see a good mix of all ages. There should be at least a few 8-10 year old rams somewhere near by for breeding.

How big is this herd in population?

Have you talkd to the local biologist who is using those collars to keep track of the sheep? That would be the first place I start. If they have been tracking them for a while that can shed some light on how many rams there are, what ages and sizes are out there and where they like to hang out.

Typically here in CO rams tend to hang together all summer and the bigger rams tend NOT to hang with the young rams and ewes. Sometimes the biggest rams go off in smal groups of 2-4 and hang completly away from the main herd. They will however seek out the ladies in Oct and Nov.

How long and when is the season?

Sandbrew

it is from september 22nd to october 22....
what should i look for in a good ram? and can any of you show me pics of live 160 inch rams please? or dead i guess that works too...

44d3c6e4358bad18.jpg

Here's a 157 7/8 gross 155 3/8 net P&Y Colo bighorn.

He was 15 2/8 27 2/8 and 15 4/8 x31 4/8

He's a 160 class ram before he busted 4+ inches off his right horn.

I doubt those rams are more than 14 inches in the bases and 28 long.

Sandbrew

Here's a shot of an Oregon bighorn (Cali subspecies). He's more typical of what I'd personally be looking for, mass carried out toward the broomed off tips.
july0632981.jpg

I'm not much of a judge of sheep scores, I'm sure some of the others can give a better estimate than I can. He's a few years older than the rams you're seeing, that's all I can say for sure. Good luck on your hunt.

Joebob,
What did the state biologist say? As small and heavily managed as the ND herd is, he likely knows every single sheep in the state. He can tell you exactly how many of each age class is out there, and what to expect. He might not tell you exactly where to go, but might give you some general information. You're doing yourself a great dis-service if you don't talk to him at great length. Make a list of things to ask him so you don't forget anything. Press him for information. Find out what age class of sheep were killed in the previous years and how they measured up. I'd bet they take horn measurements for every sheep killed.

The biologist's name is Brett Wiedmann, I believe. Call him up. 701-227-7431

lol. the top one that i thought was biggest the biologist said he was 10 1/2 years old and would score in the 160's... you guys were just a lil off lol. o well. i did end up taking an alright ram. 6 and a half years old, scored 148 had 14 1/2" bases... ill post pics and the story later.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom