North Rim of Grand Canyon

I have a read on another post that the Arizona Deer Association is working with the game and fish about the number of deer up on the plateau. Will any of that work change with the purchase of that land?

To my knowledge none of the existing issues ADA is working on will be negatively affected by this purchase. Actually I think the money ADA is spending on actual field population surveys and habitat enhancements may help the Trust people in better understanding the impact of long term cattle grazing and what food sources the deer are in need of. In addition to this, maybe ADA's predator reduction philosophy will be passed onto the managers of this new ranch to help ongoing management for maximum deer numbers and quality........If I hear anything else, I will pass it on.......Allen Taylor......

Allen

Thanks a lot for your perspective!!! I am wondering if the trust will do anything with the game an fish about the number of tag available in those areas?

Sounds like it will help the deer if they can get more grazing areas for the wildlife I just hope they don't end up shutting down the hunting part.

I may be wrong but doubt the Trust will have anything to do with the tags in that area. Every year AZGFD lets ADA know what they want to "propose" for tags and then ADA lobbies the commission on reducing the tag numbers (specifically doe tags) on the Kaibab. After both groups haggle back and forth, the "proposed" tag numbers go down to around 500. Hopefully this year is the last year where does are harvested and AZGFD re-thinks many of the existing "management practices". The hope is that with the biologists ADA has hired, the population counts ADA is funding and the Browse utilization studies maybe we can once again see the numbers of deer that the Kaibab can support...... Allen Taylor......

I think the " incredibly reclusive owner" is Bruce Babbit. Remember the secretary of interior for Clinton! . The Grand Canyon trust isnt about ranching. They will run just enough cows to keep the grazing permits. I would be surprised if they left the ranches open to hunting and more surprised if they allowed any predator control. There not worried about losing calves to coyotes.The good news is the deal involves mostly grazing permits on public land and it will benifit the deer.The Grand Canyon trust is about ending public grazing. Thats good or thats bad depending on your perspective.

Grazing rights do not and cannot affect land access. they can close the Private land but it's already closed. I live on the Utah border about 6 miles from the affected area. I don't exactly trust the Grand Canyon trust , but less grazing would help with the drought conditions.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom