North Warner

NorthSide

I drew a North Warner rifle buck tag. I noticed that a quite a few of you had knowledge in the South East desert. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on tactics and / or areas to hunt. My only experience in South East Oregon was a Hart Mountain archery tag a handful of years ago. I loved the hunt and that is why I started putting in for North Warner. Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to go scouting July 13th through the 18th. Thanks.

NS

I archery hunt the North Warners every year and have seen some real nice bucks in the past near and around the Bull Prarie area. I took a youth on a youth hunt two years ago up there and the tag opened three days after the general rifle hunt and he was able still to kill a 22" 4x4 buck, so there's deffently some good bucks in the area.

My daughter drew a youth tag for the unit last year. I think the deer population is similar to other southeast units. Very low.
We hunted BLM ground and were able to find a decent buck. Be prepared to spend a lot of time behind the spotting scope.

Hey NorthSide, I don't know if this helps, but I was on my way back from Hart Mountain yesterday (yep, I saw bucks) and coming back through the Warners I saw 2 really good bucks with two smaller bucks cross the highway from the south side to the north side of the unit. At least they were going the right direction :). It was at about 11:00 am, if you can believe that!?! The two big boys were at least 28" and one of them was taller and may have been wider, I didn't get as good a look at him as I did the one in the back. He was a legitamate 28" and heavy, perfectly symetrical 4X4. Like I said, hope that helps, it may be a start. At least I can vouch that they're there. I'll shoot you a quick PM. And after what I saw up on HM this last weekend I'm probably going back this weekend, so maybe we'll cross paths.

SteelieP

Steelie

Thanks for the info. The scouting trip is rescheduled to July 19th to the 23rd now. I appreciate the info and if you are in the area would love to meet up with you. Good luck scouting. Did you make up to the top and find the aspen patch? I plan to go over to Hart Mtn to look around just for old time sakes.

NS

JB

Thanks for the effort. Let me know if any info comes up. I have a pretty good strategy after talking to the biologist and researching maps, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

NS

NS,
I'll send you a pm. I am still trying to contact a friend who hunted the unit a couple of years ago on the muzzleloader hunt. He spent some time in the unit scouting during the rifle season. JB

Sounds good. Would you come from the bottom or the top? The top looks a little scary, but I'm not sure how to come in from the bottom. I glassed down into a lot of that country on my scouting trip and thought it looked good, but like I said I couldn't figure out how to get down there. Thanks for the help.

NS

Northside- I used to hunt this area in the 1970's. Just southeast of Valley Falls the rim is more of a mountain with ways down. Hunt north along hayfields and you MIGHT catch a large buck going to bed. A better way is to find a high point with a view of the hayfields and the brushy areas above them. The bucks used to lie in the shady spots under the trees. The only difference I could see now would be the bucks are smarter nowadays and fewer mature ones around. The ranchers don't like trespassers so ask to cross any private ground. Take a large meat pack and bone saw. Good luck.

Ransom

Back
Top Bottom