Northern California Hog hunt info wanted

hntnfsh67

Hi guys,

My hunting partner and I are looking for a place to hunt hogs. Anybody willing to share info on outfitters or ranches that do this type of hunt? We prefer spot and stalk and would like to have the option of taking a second pig if the opportunity presents itself. We are looking for a hunt either near the Redding/Redbluff
area or down in Sonoma/Tehama county.
If you would rather PM me that works fine too.
Thanks for your help.

Good luck in the draws!!

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Bill Burrows (Burrows Ranch) just west of Red Bluff. He does'nt have a website, but you can do a search and find his number. Has a nice bunkhouse with direct tv, and provides all the meals from sat morning to sunday lunch. We've never been around for sunday lunch though. Pretty much guaranteed deal....
March08pighunt016.jpg

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Thanks for the tip. Getting the number and will give them a call. Do you remember the costs?

Thanks again.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Ok back to the drawing board. Burrows ranch, nice folks but the cost is a bit .....well more than a bit high in my opinion. $1500 per person for a weekend pig hunt is too steep.

Any other options you all could share.
Thanks in advance.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

give tom willouby a call $600.00 for a hunt pretty much a gauranty email me for the number and he hunts up around king city and paso robles thanks the turtle

West of Red Bluff is rockyridgehuntingclub.com Fun hunt on 30,000 acres. Price is fair!

Wild Pig Hunting Inc. Hunts the area surrounding Lake Sonoma. George Mavrakis 707-321-0953.

His normal rates are $300 per day or $500 for guided with dogs. I don't know what he charges for the weekend. I have a group hunt planned on Easter weekend, we are getting the entire 22,000 acres to our group for $400 ea. for the entire weekend.

HW

Wow, are you sure he said per person? Last year in april the 3 of us went for about that, $1500 total. Sure does'nt sound right.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Thanks for all the replys.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Hey Kyle,

We are going for a rifle hunt. Just finished making the reservation. Mel (AKA Hogwild ) gave me a number and the guy set us up. We are hunting next Sunday and Monday. It will be our first time so I will post results when we get back.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Matt,
Sounds good. Let me know how you do. What hunt did you book, the spot and stalk or with dogs? Have a good time.

Mel,

We opted for spot and stalk. Its how we hunt everything else. We thought about camping there but opted for a motel in Cloverdale. My family used to own a motel there in the 70s and 80s so I am familiar with the area. We will only be 2 miles from the lake/ranch area and if its raining a warm room will be a bonus. I will post a detailed report when we get back. Thanks again for the number!

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Well we got back from our hunt. Did not get a shot off on the couple pigs we did see. I have to say this ranch is incredible. The terrain was suitable for just about any type of hunting. We opted for spot and stalk and after going would go with dogs next time. The place is so huge you could hunt for days before you found the pigs.

We ran into our first pig 100 yards into our morning hike. The pig busted from his bed so fast my buddy never had a chance. We continued side hilling some sloppy, steep heavily forested slopes with the hope that we would catch the pigs coming back to bed. With the full moon the pigs were up foraging all night. That made it tough! When we got to a place we could actually glass I spotted two pigs heading for the oaks?..about 600 yards away. They were over the hill before we could move on them. Have to say we were getting pumped up at this point.

We split up and I took the low road in the oaks?Did I mention it was steep with very loose earth? After stalking through the different draws I came up on what I thought was a big hog. I watched him through the Swarovski?s and after a couple minutes knew something was up. He was not moving and on closer inspection was indeed dead. BIG PIG! But a dead pig. It turns out a hunter had shot him a couple days earlier, but thought he missed. Oh well. fourth pig of the morning. We hunted til we were picked up at 2pm.

We were taken to another part of the ranch, one that was made for long distance spotting. We split up and broke out the tripods and binos and started picking the hillsides apart. No pigs but a ridiculous amount of deer. They were everywhere.

Sunday morning we were taken to a steep drainage and given an idea where the pigs should be. It was steep, which is great ?cause it keeps you moving slow. We slow hunted the entire drainage and other than seeing TONS of sign never did find the pigs.

All in all it was a great trip. Did not get a shot off but it was our first time pig hunting and we learned a lot. If we were to do it again we would definitely go with dogs on this ranch. Maybe next time??.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Matt,
Glad you had a good time, and atleast seen some hogs. That ranch is huge, and steep, but does hold lots of hogs. I'm going on Easter weekend, so hopefully I can connect.

Mel,

Good luck to you. Are you using dogs? We are already thinking about going back.
Thanks again.

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Matt you should of used the hoochie-mama.

ROTFLMFAO

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

49b2233828ef4a57.jpg

kyle,

just back from a conference in dan diego and saw your post.....

now i get to clean coffee off the key board........thanks a lot!
too funny

Matt
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom