northern Colorado early rut is AWOL

Katoom

Might as well be July. Weather is hot, aspens, grass and forbs are all green, not a whisper of bugling, no wallowing, few rubs, and all bulls seen (small bulls) are still in velvet! Hoping for a change later in the week.

Where I was ML deer in unit 3 25-30 % of bucks were still in velvet. Rancher felt this was the best year for their grazing land in recent memory Everything is still fairly green for that part of the world. Deer numbers were down to about a third of past years.

I've been in contact with a guy from Meeker. He's been sending pictures of deer and elk that are not in velvet and says the elk started bugling this week.

Deer shed much later than elk.

That said, spikes keep their velvet quite a bit longer.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-19 AT 06:33PM (MST)[p]The bulls in velvet were the spikes and those with little ?club? shaped horns. Weather conditions did not change over the week but did get a couple bouts of bugling in the early AM and at sunset. Found three active wallows at the end. Most groups of cows were still unnacompanied and unharrassed. My guess is that the upcoming week will be very good. I hunted a half dozen spots in the NF from 8400 ft to 10,200 feet. I found elk every day, just little to no interest in rutting behavior. Brought a cow home in the cooler.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom