Northern Region Shed Season

MulePacker

After observing all the "contraversy" good or bad on the Northern Utah shed season I have decided to give my perspective as an initiator of the new regulation/law.
First I would like to clear the DWR of any conspiracy, stupidity or wrong doings of any kind.
This law came about because of the Cache Deer Herd working group on which I sat. This group was facilitated by the DWR and had a few members from the DWR, RMEF, MDF, SFW, BOC, N.R. RAC, ATV Users, USU Wildlife personnel, Public Land Managers USFS and BLM, general citizens and others. The committee met at least monthly in 2006. We tried to identify anything that may be having an impact on recovery. Subcommittees were formed to research different areas effecting the mule deer recovery on the Cache. We had guest speakers and gathered as much information as possible. Speakers included a biologist from Idaho leading their Mule Deer Initiative, A PHD student studying mule deer mortality, Biologists etc.
After gathering as much info as possible and breaking into the subcommittees we formulated items that we felt were inhibiting mule deer recovery. Each item then was addressed to solutions and plans were made. There was a long list of items that could help; Traffic warning signs, habitat improvemnent, modified hunting strategies and seasons, harassment, etc.
We looked at each item intensley, and then provided action statements for that item. Some of these items will be long term some were not possible at all and others have been implemented.
In a nutshell this brings us to the Shed Season. From the research and information there was indisputable evidence that shed hunters do play a roll in the recruitment of deer into the Cache Deer Herd. In herds that have been monitered over the past 5 years with aerial tracking collars, there was higher fawn mortality and lower birth production on herds where shed hunting pressure was consistent. From research we reviewed there was enough evidence to indicate that stress during the winter months (Feb, thru April) did result in low fawn production and survival. After hearing this the committe made an action item to get a shed season, I personally fought hard and made motion for this and believe it is as much an inhibitng factor on mule deer recovery as other items such as predators and drought. I have witnessed the worst of shed hunters the past few years. From running deer off feed sites to get the antlers dropped on the feed row in the middle of the night, to chasing deer on snowmobiles on the Hardware Plateau, taking dogs along for exercise and then not being able to call them off of chasing a deer, trespaasing on properly posted property, ignoring seasonal closure on the Millville WMA and I could go on. Now I realize that many will still take the opportunity to hunt sheds whether they pick them up or not. I just challenge you to ask yourself this question, Am I a law abiding citizen or not? You see all laws in this country are made for the honest, it is the dishonest that have blatant disregard for the laws and are called criminals.
So for you who have chose to complain, chastise the DWR whine and pout. Blame Me for the Shed Season because as you were out shed hunting, recreating hiking or whatever last year, I was studying research, attending meetings, debating, and wondering what we could do to insure my grandchildren and you experience the excitement of seeing a mule deer, hunting and finding sheds. It is no secert that mule deer are on the decline and I hope maybe my efforts slowed that decline just a little. Thanks to all who will respect this effort and law and in doing so slow the decline. Thanks to the DWR for giving this group of sportsman a chance to truly learn the issues behind mule deer management and doing a fine job of facilitating the process.

Travis Sparks

WELL MulePacker!!!

YOU MIGHT BE TALKING TO A SMALL BUNCH ON THIS FORUM???

ITS AMAZING HOW MANY OF THESE GUYS WILL TELL THE WORLD "THEY WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE NO MATTER THE LAW"!!!

I SAY I'VE GOT A NEIGHBOR THAT WEARS HIS CAMO (SO TO SPEAK!!!) THAT TAKES CARE OF BUSINESS (SO TO SPEAK!!!)

WHAT MOST OF THESE THINSKINS DON'T REALIZE IS IF SOMETHING ISN'T DONE TO BUILD THE DEER HERDS BACK UP, THE NEW FUTURE "SHED LICENSE" WON'T BE WORTH THE PAPER ITS WROTE ON IN A FEW YEARS!!!

I SUPPOSE SEVERAL OF YOU WILL TELL ME YOU'RE NOT BUYING A SHED LICENSE NO MATTER WHAT THE LAW READS,SOBEIT!!!

IT LOOKS TO ME THAT MulePacker & OTHERS ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE DEER HERDS,I SAY WAY TO GO!!!

I'M BLAMING YOU MulePacker,ESPECIALLY IF THE DEER HERDS COME BACK,LOL!!!

NOW I'M NOT POSTING THIS POST TO START FIGHTING WITH A BUNCH OF BONE-A-FIDE SHED-HEADS,SEVERAL OF YOU HAVE TURNED ME IN TO FOUNDER BECAUSE YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH,I HIGHLY RECOMEND YOU GROW SOME THICKER SKIN & TAKE IT LIKE A MAN WITHOUT BEING A TATTLE-TELL ALL YOUR LIVES,AS HUNTERS OF ALL KINDS I THINK WE CAN BE A LITTLE TOUGHER THAN THAT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat GLAD TO KNOW THERES PEOPLE LIKE MulePacker AROUND,A BUNCH OF YOU WILL DISAGREE BUT THATS O.K.!!!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-07 AT 02:48PM (MST)[p]I would like to thank you and all the other people for all the time and effort put into such a great cause. However, it still comes back to the same question, why new restrictive laws, when we have laws now. It will only hurt the honest guy who obeys the law. I don't know the answer to the problem. I do know the DWR does not have the funds to hire the man power to patrol and in my opnion that is one of the reasons we have this problem. Another reason is because the honest guy dosen't turn in the people that have caused us all to have this problem. I know something needed to be done, but I feel new restrictive laws are not the answer. Thanks again for your efforts.

Good intentions, but we already have a law about harassing wildlife. TIsn't this why we got to this point in the first place? This new law won't stop these people on here that tell you that they will still be out there marking horns with there GPS and chasing the deer till there horns fall off. After all there not picking up horns? I don't know what the answer is, but I agree something needs to be done. Maybe road closures, more volunteers watching hot spots? I believe the Dedicated Hunter Program will give out service hours for this if I remember right.

Thanks for your work on this group, and your explanation of the process.

Did this committee consider limiting the number of hunters that pound the Cache unit every fall? A huge portion of the Northern Region is private land that sports high buck:doe ratios due to limited hunting. Most hunters that buy a Northern region permit (because it is the only one they can get) hunt the Cache.

I hunt some private land bordering the Cache that holds lots of deer, lots of bucks, and lots of fawn. The only difference from the struggling Cache unit - not as many hunters. It has the same habitat, same predators, same shed hunting pressure.

If I were on the Cache Mule Deer Working Group, I would have recommended this: Northern Region Private land tags and Northern Region Public Land tags. Then the deer on public land can be managed separately. Averaging out a buck:doe ratio on the Cache of 6:100 with the private land ratios of 25:100 to get the Northern region up to 14:100 overall is a disaster for public land Mule deer populations!

Why didn't this Cache Mule Deer Group recommend reducing permits in the Northern Region?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-07 AT 04:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-07 AT 04:41?PM (MST)

You are right it is a tough law to enforce. I also mentioned I had witnessed people trespassing during a seasonal closure on the Millville WMA, and Snowmobiles on the Hardware Plateau which has a motorized closure From Dec. 31 to April 30th. In both cases the authorities were contacted and citations resulted. So I guess it is up to me/us whether or not this law is as effective as it can be. One if I/we follow the law it will be effective, two if I/we police our own it will be effective.
Now don't think I am against shed hunting, if you were to visit me, we would ikely sit in front of my fireplace which is surrounded by sheds.
I do believe that we need to change trends which have occured since the 1992-1993 winter kill of deer in Northern Utah, Western Wyoming and Southern Idaho that continue to limit recovery. Shed hunting is an area with significant increase in participation during this time period. I bet most people on this site had not picked up a shed prior to 1995 and if they had I doubt a specific trip had been made in the late winter to collect sheds.
I would just hope that before you criticize the law or disobey it, you take the time to review all the facts and then decide if you can wait a couple of months before shed hunting.
I believe it will take a lot of little things to make a big difference with mule deer recovery. Restriciting Shed Hunting during the most stressful time of the year is just a little thing, unless your a doe carrying twin fawns and living on delapidaetd range then it means life and death.

Edited to address Elkoholic and UGA.

Yes there is a harassment law but harassment is vague if you simply are hiking and deer are running from your presence that may not qualify as harassment or at least will be hard to prove. Now if you are hiking and deer are running from your presence because you have collected a shed from where they were feeding when you went to collect the antler, posession of the antler is easy to prove. Again laws are made to protect citizens from criminals. Not to protect criminals from citizens. I can't believe this is such a hard concept to realize and accept. Shed hunting has not been banned just regulated to a specific time period.

There was a ton of discussion, assessment etc. of the private verse public issue with the Northern Region and the Cache Deer Herd. However, we could never prove that deer only stayed one place or the other. So we addressed the issue at hand realizing their is a migratory pattern, and movement between public and private.
We did address permit issues. I stated earlier that some items are still in progress I believe you will see a modification of permit allotment in the future. You did see a result with redistribution of permits, the combined deer/elk permit is a direct result of the Working Group. Although this did not cut permits we hope it displaces some hunters from the Cache to other areas such as the Uintahs where they can hunt both elk and deer.
FYI some other items that are in place because of the working group.
The DWR is working with UDOT on road signs in critical areas.
These should not be the same signs you are used to.
During this session of the legislature there is discussion of an ATV law which will enhance penalties for abuse during hunting seasons that could result in loss of hunting priveledges or at least carry a wildlife violation in addition to the off road violation.
The Richmond WMA has been dug up and is being prepared for enhancement.The RWMA has been overrun with cheatgrass etc. since it was purchased by the Elk Foundation in the late 80's. There are thousands of woody stock seedlings in nursery waiting to be planted onto the RWMA.
There was a cataloging of key critical winter habitat. This catalog will then define purchases, easements, rehabilitation etc for this property which is both private and public.
A coyote bounty is in place funded by SFW, MDF and other conservation minded organizations.
I am sure I have missed some and didn't begin to address issues which were determined nonlimiting or which will require a longer application period. I would be happy to visit with anyone who wants more info give me an e-mail with phone number and I will contact you. Bottom line is this, unless you want to see deer hunted through a strategy similar to our elk, as sportsman we neeed to step up and make a difference. Again if we can't start with something as simple as postponing shed hunting for a couple of months we will never be able to conquer the hard issues.

Travis Sparks

Thanks Travis....have they had any luck in stopping anybody? So kid was posting photos up Logan Canyon on Ebay, that's how bad its gotten. I use to watch them in the winter now I don't even go hiking in the winter. Good post.

I've noticed there have been more bills taken to the lawmakers this year in regards to ATV misuse,including increasing funding for enforcement. I also have noticed there are more and more sportsman who are more vigilant and less tolerable to lawbreakers. I'm happy to see this.
Even if all of the laws (those that are passed to reduce stress on our mule deer) come into effect aren't fully successful, I'm glad that there is a voice of concern. Travis, thanks for the great posts. It is nice to see the state is working with the public on some of these issues. I believe the next step should be a reduction in tags for the region and continue improving winter habitat in Cache valley.

Finally!! An educated, well thought post to the shed season topic! While I still oppose the idea, MulePacker at least made sense. There is no question constant pressure on the animals in the early spring period can be harmfull. Guys simply need to use some common sense. I was growing tired of comments a couple guys made limiting the Utah mule deer problems strictly to shed hunters. Not even close. I still think atvs are the main issue. And just so everyone knows, I own one. But I beleive that crubing off-road atv travel will cure alot of ills.

Interesting there is a radio collar study and you guys suck it up as gospel with absolutely no data provided.

To say that shed hunting rivals predation, drought and winter kills is just flat disingenous and I for one aint buying it.

"I have witnessed the worst of shed hunters the past few years."

So they are gonna be angels now?

" From running deer off feed sites to get the antlers dropped on the feed row in the middle of the night"

Close feed lot areas, not an entire zone!

"chasing deer on snowmobiles on the Hardware Plateau"

This will change with the new law, how?

"taking dogs along for exercise and then not being able to call them off of chasing a deer"

Dang I hate that, but this will change with the new law, how?

"trespaasing on properly posted property,"

So they trespass after the season opens and thats ok?

" ignoring seasonal closure on the Millville WMA and I could go on."

Ignoring the first law, now to start ignoring another?

"Now I realize that many will still take the opportunity to hunt sheds whether they pick them up or not. I just challenge you to ask yourself this question, Am I a law abiding citizen or not?"

No, ask yourself, why am I playing god with laws that are going to be followed as close as the speed laws?

It's looks like "Boots" has a problenm with the shed law. I would invite "Boots" to e-mail me, we are looking for people with answers an solutions. I would be happy to get you in contact with the CMDWG. Otherwise I would pass on some adivce my grandfather gave me: You are either a part of the solution or problem. Unless you prove otherwise I guess we know which side you are on.

"It's looks like "Boots" has a problenm with the shed law."

I have a problem with ineffective laws.

" I would invite "Boots" to e-mail me, we are looking for people with answers an solutions. "

OK

"I would be happy to get you in contact with the CMDWG."

Whats their number and email

" Otherwise I would pass on some adivce my grandfather gave me: You are either a part of the solution or problem. Unless you prove otherwise I guess we know which side you are on."

Guess again. You dont know me. However, I dont like to complain without giving my ideas as well.

Why not have area closures instead of Region closures? Easier to patrol.

Also, look at the road you are taking when passing this law.

You just blatantly wave a wand at everyone.

But you have snowmobilers and ATV riders chewing habitat and chasing deer, so I would rather see motorized closures than foot closures. I have hiked the paunsaugunt many times since before it became the 'grand staircase' and it chapped my hide to see all the stupid quad tracks chewing habitat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom