Northern Utah Cactus Buck

the pictures I got all suck and you can barley see it is a deer. They are posted on another sight called utah something
it is under brigham city buck

sorry cant post the actual forum

The buck is still in velvet and is around 25-26 inches wide. it has a couple of droptines and a bunch of trash. It also wont score worth a crap but is a once in a life time buck for sure.

There are no big bucks in Northern Utah

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Years ago, I remember seeing a cactus buck that was pictured, listed in early(1965??) Boone and Crockett books as the #2 Nontypical. B&C claimed that the buck was killed in the Grouse Creek range of North Western Utah.

Talk about a animal that didn't look big enough or like a near world record, this was one. It had Freaky Massive Mass...but that was about all i could say for it. The #3 buck put it to shame.

Joey

I believe the one you are talking about was shot near Black's Peak above Deweyville. Crazy buck indeed.

Here is one

SUCCESS_DEER_07_47.jpg

The one I am looking for is still alive. I've seen him in person but can't get a good picture. Just wondering if anybody has any?

I would shoot him in a NY heartbeat. Better yet the two 30" four Points bucks same area two weeks before. But I will tell ya what to get a shot at these bucks you better put your goat shoes on. To many people know where he is he will be like the spider bull. He is a Steer Deer.

Rutnbuck

Not only watch for traffic but there is an artical in the paper. next there will be a reward! 24 guides and mossback will have him on video, Rutnbuck

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-09 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Sage, are you sure your not thinking of the Hunsaker buck? i dont think he was a stag, just had some velvet left when killed in the 40's, and he was killed on the same mountain range as the buck this post is about lives.

i dont know for fact, but these mountains are the steepest incline per foot in the U.S, not the tallest, but the steepest.

Reddog, Thank you for the info! Yes, probably so. I saw in the opening post "Cactus buck-Northern Utah", and that buck popped into my thoughts as maybe the one looked for. Obviously, can see now that the buck to which this thread is about is not the same buck as i mentioned. It was though, at one time the #2 B&C Non-Typical Muley of all time, kinda "cactus" looking to me, and certainly gives Utah another trophy claim to fame, worth small mention anyway.

Anybody have a pic of that old time buck? Amazing, to me, that it scored what it did.

Joey

Alright, since know one seems to get what's going on I will post the pics from the other site. This buck is ALIVE in Brigham city right now! The pics suck, but you can tell that he is in velvet.
49a6b64315c0c0cb.jpg

49a6b654161fbf79.jpg

The buck this post is about has been on this range for 3 years. My buddy and I first spotted this buck back in November of 2007. He was a basic 3x4 with a couple small cheaters. Interesting thing about this buck is that his antlers deteriorate. Over the past couple years while watching him we noticed that pieces of his antlers would break off or fall off at seperate times, he never shed his full antlers. He's been in velvet every year since 2007. He grows a new set back every year because his antlers have looked different every year. Last year he wasn't quite as "trashy" as he is now. He had a couple drop tines and couple cheaters but he was still in full velvet. It's been really cool to see this buck develop into what he is today. Hopefully he'll continue to impress us with his growth. I feel bad for the buck because he's constantly hounded by the numerous people that are parked on the highway to see him. Last year I was fortunate enough to get within 20 feet of this buck. He is a sight to see.
Also, the other buck mentioned is the Hunsaker buck. He was #1 nontypical in Utah. Maybe still is. The buck was shot on the same mountain range back in the 40's by Alton Hunsaker. The buck is very impressive. However, the bucks antlers were solid with a little velvet caught up in the mess. Very ugly buck but very impressive at the same time. Northern Utah may not produce the biggest bucks as compared to other areas of the state but we sure do produce some cool ones from time to time.

Yes he is a very cool buck but I dont think you will see the mossy boys spending any time looking for him unless he gets more mass and trash. to me he looks like he is getting into his 6th or 7th season starting to get gray in the face and pot bellied. good to see a buck make it through Utahs gen hunts

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom