Northern Utah Deer Hunt

T

trapper_john

How many of you have seen the last news release from the state of Utah? Look at it http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/news/04-10/rifle.html According to this one out of every four of us in Northern Utah should kill us a buck this year. LOL I want to know where all the deer they say we have are. I see a few does now and again but have yet to see a good buck. If we tried to sell something we did not have it would be false advertising but the state can sell whatever. I would like to know your thoughts.
Trapper

I think they're making a push to try and convince people to buy the last remaining permits. Afterall, the name of the game for the DWR seems to be $$$$$.

I've never been able to figure out a lot of their rationale. Take the southern and southeastern units that are limited to a five day hunt for example. They obviously recognize a problem with herd numbers, but instead of shutting the unit down, they sell permits because they'd loose too much money otherwise. I equate it to putting a band-aid on an arteral bleeder. My guess is, most of the deer harvested in the State are taken on the opening weekend.

I agree, I used to hunt the SE area but since it is only 5 days I don't. Since it is already a draw, why not just reduce the number of tags?

I hunted the muzz hunt in the blacksmith fork area. lefthand fork, heard hollow, Temple fork, north cottonwood, and a few other places. I have been going up in the hills all summer. I haven't seen that many deer. I did see several does with twins this summer so hopefully things will be looking better for next year. I hunted on the muzz hunt for 6 full days. I seen 5 bucks 4 2 points and one 4 point that you could call a 4 spike , he was very small. I was holding out for a pig but never seen one. I did see about 35 does on the last day of the hunt. I seen 5 large bull moose that were shooters for sure. I think someone is trying to sell tags if there telling us the numbers are up! Good luck on your hunts this fall.

Ok here is what i got from it a previous release by the udwr has said that there are more young bucks this year than the last couple of years which with this release means that they are pushing for the hunters to shoot young meat bucks that is where they are getting the one out of every four hunters will tag out this year. hope this clears the air a bit.

BBH

our group of 4 saw at least 20 2pts on opening day of the muzz hunt on public land. I believe that there are more small bucks than in recent years, I just don't know that one in four hunters will shoot a buck....

I've been watching a pretty defined area in the Northern region since July and I have seen a good number more deer this year than in previous years. Impressive number of does with fawns this year too ( good news for next year if the winter is mild).

I've also seen many more bucks this year than in recent years past. From young to mature, I've seen and filmed some great antler growth this year. I'm hoping to tag out on a 29 - 30 incher I've been glassing since early July! We'll see what happens in about a week!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom