Northwest Colorado moose encounter

M

missourihunter

My dad and I where hunting our usual unit (14) during the 2nd general season, but decided on a different canyon to hunt which was at the end of a long valley which is somewhat marshy. We had seen moose in this area from a long distance while hunting a nearby mountain, but we had to walk through this area to get to the canyon we wanted to hunt quickly. Long story short, after we got to the mouth of the canyon and sat down to rest, we saw two bull moose walking out and they started to spar. We both stood up to glass and take pics, but both bulls saw us and immediately decided to run towards us. The bigger bull eventually took off after we had taken cover in a deadfall and started yelling at them, but the smaller one (didn't look small) stayed around at about 40 yards for 20 minutes. We eventually were able to bypass the smaller bull which took about an extra hour of walking. It was heart pumping to us, and I'm not sure if they ran towards us out of curiousity or because they were in the rut and they were wanting battle. Anyone have any similar experiences with moose in CO? I do have pictures if anyone wants to see them, but not sure how to post.

Shawn

If this happened around the 1st of October the Moose would be in the rut. It is possible a cow was close by the bulls were being protective of a cow. Anytime bulls are sparing they are getting worked up though. They could have just been in the mood to kick some butt and you became the next target.

Smokepole

47547df7055cad05.jpg

Sorry for the late reply,

Here's one photo

Shawn

47547f210c376470.jpg

47547f520d4744f4.jpg

These three photos are the best I have, the rest are out of focus because I was in a hurry to get my camera put away.

Shawn

475480591246c597.jpg

One more, this is when they noticed my dad and I, then we started to get a little nervous.

Shawn

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom