Nosler

muley300HH

I'm looking at new Nosler Rifle, I have been looking mainly at the 28 and 30, then I seen they brought out the 27.

I don't have any experience with the 270 calibers on elk what is everybody take on the nosler rounds.

Either of those will kill elk just fine. Might have a few more ammo options with the 28, and definitely more bullet options if you handload. 27 would be cool tho

The 270 win has killed plenty of elk and I have taken a couple with one, but the smaller the caliber, the less likely it becomes proficient for taking a big boned animal. If it was all I had, I'd feel fine using it, but I had a 28 Nosler built for an upcoming serious elk hunt. As was stated, the bullet selection is huge and gives you way more options. I'd stick with that or the 30 if elk is your main prey.

The 28 is the best nosler caliber there is with the most ballistic advantage in its class. The 30 is a solid option but it really doesn’t have a huge advantage over the 300win and it’s not on the same level as the 300 RUM or the 300 Norma. The 28 with a 180 or 195 Berger or 175 eldx/180eldm is potent elk medicine. The 27 is still up in the air if it will catch on, the only Bullet that really makes sense for it is the Berger EOL 170 grainer.

The 28 is the best nosler caliber there is with the most ballistic advantage in its class. The 30 is a solid option but it really doesn’t have a huge advantage over the 300win and it’s not on the same level as the 300 RUM or the 300 Norma. The 28 with a 180 or 195 Berger or 175 eldx/180eldm is potent elk medicine. The 27 is still up in the air if it will catch on, the only Bullet that really makes sense for it is the Berger EOL 170 grainer.
I'm happy to hear Cboy say the 28 is the best, given I just had one built! And the fact that he's downed some impressive critters with a 26 Nosler, and didn't even mention it.
But I'm thinking maybe he's just keepin that caliber secret to himself. ?

The 28 works because you can load it down with a 180 to 195 Bullet. Burning 80 plus grains of powder to push 140ish grain 6.5mm bullets is silly business

Exactly why I would build off the the 28 and neck to the 27. A lot of guys are building 30-28’s right now because the 28 necked out to a 30 our performs the 30 nosler. So technically I would do a 27-28 nosler.

These 28s are hard on barrels. I just replaced my 28 Nosler barrel. I had a Brux barrel burn out after 200 rounds. When we called Brux they said they are rarely getting more than 400 rounds out of them so no warranty. I just had a Proof barrel put on. We’ll see how long it lasts.

These 28s are hard on barrels. I just replaced my 28 Nosler barrel. I had a Brux barrel burn out after 200 rounds. When we called Brux they said they are rarely getting more than 400 rounds out of them so no warranty. I just had a Proof barrel put on. We’ll see how long it lasts.
I don’t think anyone is getting peak barrel life over 300 to 400 round on the 28. My 26s throat was gone after 250.

I don’t think anyone is getting peak barrel life over 300 to 400 round on the 28. My 26s throat was gone after 250.
Holy smokes....these fire breathing thoroughbreds make me smile and fist pump, but also make me cringe when I think that each time the trigger is pulled there goes $1.50-2.00 of barrel life. I thought most guys were getting 650 to 800 rounds with the 28, 3-400 is nuts. I suppose performance costs.

Loaded and hunted with Bergers in a .300 RUM in 2007. Not for me. Lots of other bullets out there as good or better at killing. As far as 28 Nosler barrel life, wow. I'd go a big .30 first anyway. mtmuley

Ouch, I was expecting at least 800!

Marley you were runnin some pretty dicy loads in that last tube, but dang it shot 300 yd stacked holes! I assume you've toned the new one down a bit?
Mine has a proof barrel and I'm trying to being careful. I'm getting pretty old so it's only got to last one good elk hunt! ?

Holy smokes....these fire breathing thoroughbreds make me smile and fist pump, but also make me cringe when I think that each time the trigger is pulled there goes $1.50-2.00 of barrel life. I thought most guys were getting 650 to 800 rounds with the 28, 3-400 is nuts. I suppose performance costs.
You will be able to drag a barrel out to 650 to 800 rounds. But you’re going to see accuracy start to slide after that 300ish mark and you’re going to be continually chasing the lands as the throat goes and the 26/28 eat throats like a fat kid does cookies.

yeah and it was still shooting really tight groups but the pressure kept building up to the point where I had to back it down to only shooting 2900 fps to not have a sticky bolt and popped primers.

Ouch, I was expecting at least 800!

Marley you were runnin some pretty dicy loads in that last tube, but dang it shot 300 yd stacked holes! I assume you've toned the new one down a bit?
Mine has a proof barrel and I'm trying to being careful. I'm getting pretty old so it's only got to last one good elk hunt! ?

yeah and it was still shooting really tight groups but the pressure kept building up to the point where I had to back it down to only shooting 2900 fps to not have a sticky bolt and popped primers.
Did you run a bore scope and look for a carbon ring? 28's are famous for carbon rings, and the throat area needs a good scrub down every 30-40 rounds.

Did you run a bore scope and look for a carbon ring? 28's are famous for carbon rings, and the throat area needs a good scrub down every 30-40 rounds.
Yes we bore scoped it and no carbon ring but the entire length of the barrel was fire cracked.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom