Not sure if this is a good thing

Shed hunting is such a zoo now this article won’t make a difference. Tooth paste is out of the tube. I used to really look forward to it. Now I’ll go out if my daughter wants too or theirs still too much snow where I bear hunt. But I don’t even care if I pick one up. Guess I don’t get a flatty :cry:

As a youth, I used to pick up an antler here and there while deer hunting in the fall. The first time I ever went out in the spring to actually shed hunt was 2015. Been doing it every year since, only 1 or 2 days each spring. I've never sold an antler... never will. I consider it a hunt, and whatever I come away with, that's my trophy, my memory...

Once you attach a dollar value and it becomes your income or whatnot... it's not longer shed hunting. It's "just business". I've commented on dozens of Youtubers channels over the years (those listed in the article included) that they are their own worst enemy. I think that is coming to fruition. I wish it wasn't so, for their and my sake... But the internet exposes things exponentially. Not always in a positive way.

Commercialization of anything ruins everything. This is on a different level because it turned into an income. Unfortunately.

Just curious, is it legal to keep deadheads in Wyoming?

I did not read the whole article but I made it to the point where the kid cut the deadhead off a bull in the creek and had to quit shed hunting to protect his prize.

Half mile of cars parked? I'm out

As a youth, I used to pick up an antler here and there while deer hunting in the fall. The first time I ever went out in the spring to actually shed hunt was 2015. Been doing it every year since, only 1 or 2 days each spring. I've never sold an antler... never will. I consider it a hunt, and whatever I come away with, that's my trophy, my memory...

Once you attach a dollar value and it becomes your income or whatnot... it's not longer shed hunting. It's "just business". I've commented on dozens of Youtubers channels over the years (those listed in the article included) that they are their own worst enemy. I think that is coming to fruition. I wish it wasn't so, for their and my sake... But the internet exposes things exponentially. Not always in a positive way.
I feel about the same way when it comes to measuring everything. Seems like some people have to start measuring horns and antlers before they even get the critter field dressed. I couldn’t tell you a score on any of my mounts. Just dawned on me, some may feel the same way about mounts. I’ve decorated my property with sheds and heads. I’ve also never sold any.

I feel about the same way when it comes to measuring everything. Seems like some people have to start measuring horns and antlers before they even get the critter field dressed. I couldn’t tell you a score on any of my mounts. Just dawned on me, some may feel the same way about mounts. I’ve decorated my property with sheds and heads. I’ve also never sold any.

I can't imagine, sitting around a dinner table with my grandparents who were kids in rural Utah during the Depression, and talking about $300k deer tags, or inches, or $1000 camo outfits. To kill a deer.

These people ate carp. My dad's uncle was a twin. His parents were too poor to keep both so they sent him to Utah to be raised.

I grew up around these men, and now you see the $$$ and the schemes to get it around hunting, and even I shake my head

I can't imagine, sitting around a dinner table with my grandparents who were kids in rural Utah during the Depression, and talking about $300k deer tags, or inches, or $1000 camo outfits. To kill a deer.

These people ate carp. My dad's uncle was a twin. His parents were too poor to keep both so they sent him to Utah to be raised.

I grew up around these men, and now you see the $$$ and the schemes to get it around hunting, and even I shake my head
The old timers used to take their mattress off the bed and throw it in the back of the truck to sleep on. They brought flour, beans and potatoes with them and then killed their own camp meat. Nobody had or really knew what camouflage was. I remember as a kid my brother and I slept in a sleeping bag on the ground and dad threw a tarp over us. He eventually worked his way up to a camper shell where he made a top bunk out of plywood that him and mom slept on while me and the brother slept underneath them. My dad got deer every year until he got to old to get them. We eventually worked our way up to a small bumper pull RV, we thought that thing was the “HILTON”!

Anything for Eric and Ben to thump their chest about. Tools...
Just wonder if there is as much crying when they find as shed as there is when they shoot an animal. I get that people work hard for stuff but dang shelves the waterworks for that raghorn… lots of man tears ?

Just curious, is it legal to keep deadheads in Wyoming?

I did not read the whole article but I made it to the point where the kid cut the deadhead off a bull in the creek and had to quit shed hunting to protect his prize.

Half mile of cars parked? I'm out
No it's not legal to pick up a deadhead in Wyoming. If you want to keep a deadhead, you need to notify a game warden so he can investigate the scene to ensure no crime has been committed. After the GW's investigation, if they deem no crime has been committed, they will issue you an interstate game tag to take the deadhead. I think they're like $8.

I'm new to shed hunting. I honestly didn't even realize it was a thing until a year ago. I like it because it keeps me in shape, I learn a lot about the animals, it feels like I'm actually hunting, and it take me to random places I'd never hike normally. Then you throw in the treasure hunting aspect and I'm hooked. I plan on hitting elk shed hunting pretty hard this season.
I'll admit youtube helped stoke my fire and I get that they're their own worst enemies. Especially Nevada. Now they made it so popular they are responsible for the "shed season" being implemented (yes, I believe this is strictly from Utard shedtubers). Funny part is it hurts them the most because normal people will just go out and find them early season and either take them home anyway, stash them, or gps them.
The youtubers created a grey are **** show. I'm not ashamed to admit, as a resident, I'll be doing plenty of early season "scouting". Hey, you can scout for ACTUAL hunting so how is it any different? It's perfectly legal too.

I'm new to shed hunting. I honestly didn't even realize it was a thing until a year ago. I like it because it keeps me in shape, I learn a lot about the animals, it feels like I'm actually hunting, and it take me to random places I'd never hike normally. Then you throw in the treasure hunting aspect and I'm hooked. I plan on hitting elk shed hunting pretty hard this season.
I'll admit youtube helped stoke my fire and I get that they're their own worst enemies. Especially Nevada. Now they made it so popular they are responsible for the "shed season" being implemented (yes, I believe this is strictly from Utard shedtubers). Funny part is it hurts them the most because normal people will just go out and find them early season and either take them home anyway, stash them, or gps them.
The youtubers created a grey are **** show. I'm not ashamed to admit, as a resident, I'll be doing plenty of early season "scouting". Hey, you can scout for ACTUAL hunting so how is it any different? It's perfectly legal too.
Not legal in Wyoming. You cannot "attempt to locate" here...

Here in lies the problem, how can you regulate any of it, if hikers, bikers, bird watchers, predator hunters and Turkey hunters are out and about loving the wildlands, how can you know who is doing what? Or stop people from gps locating or cache’ing stuff?

Here in lies the problem, how can you regulate any of it, if hikers, bikers, bird watchers, predator hunters and Turkey hunters are out and about loving the wildlands, how can you know who is doing what? Or stop people from gps locating or cache’ing stuff?
I’m sure somebody somewhere will run a sting operation equipped with game cameras, 6 Game Wardens, 4 Sheriffs Deputies, a Helicopter and the film crew from “COPS” on a 3 point shed.

All I find is boots tracks after may 1 when CO shed season starts. No one has anything to lose by picking them up early except law abiding hunters. But guys can motocross all over hell on the BLM winter habitat for deer . Glad I found some good ones starting back in 2005

20160202_214359.jpg

Not legal in Wyoming. You cannot "attempt to locate" here...
Scouting to me entails looking for shed bulls and if you accidentally stumble upon a shed then you can mark it. Either way, it's not enforceable. I've never even seen a game warden in all my time hunting in NV. Then trying to catch someone "marking" sheds and prove it in court is impossible. Taking sheds before the opener is much easier to enforce but still very difficult.

Scouting to me entails looking for shed bulls and if you accidentally stumble upon a shed then you can mark it. Either way, it's not enforceable. I've never even seen a game warden in all my time hunting in NV. Then trying to catch someone "marking" sheds and prove it in court is impossible. Taking sheds before the opener is much easier to enforce but still very difficult.
The wild thing too with it becoming more popular with the gen public is it really only punishes hunters, if you don’t hunt it may be a little fine or a warning but if you hunt they will give you points to eventually lose privileges to hunt. I am all for common sense stuff but it is unenforceable and ridiculous

Well Big, there might be some correlation to that, all I want is fish and game to make a common sense law and make shed hunting opening day of Turkey season in Co…

Okay I guess I’m being selfish for wanting to pick up a shed if I stumble upon one while I’m out Turkey hunting… cause I’ve already “disturbed wintering range” or whatever the may 1 date is supposed protect on the second weekend in April

Like ALL laws... regulation does not mean prevention. It means investigation and prosecution after-the-fact. For the majority of us, we comply with laws and regulations because its the right thing to do. For others, they comply for fear of the legal consequences. And for a small minority, nothing will deter them. It is no different than any law/regulation.

If you’re willing to cheat a little on she’d hunting aren’t you also more likely to cheat a little on big game hunting?
You mean with trail cameras, 20x scopes, $3k sworavski spotters, ONX, side by sides, horses, and super expensive titanium everything camping gear.??
Naw, I don't use any of those (except onx). No camo either, and just a modest wood stock 30-06 with a 3-9x scope.

You mean with trail cameras, 20x scopes, $3k sworavski spotters, ONX, side by sides, horses, and super expensive titanium everything camping gear.??
Naw, I don't use any of those (except onx). No camo either, and just a modest wood stock 30-06 with a 3-9x scope.
Cool story bro

Naw, I don’t use ANY of those either including ONX like you. I had to Google that. You are a modern day technology hunter compared to me.

Shoot, should we turn this into an,” on-x ruined hunting” thread right now or should we save that gripe fest for another day? Haha

Must be some May 1st restrictions in Alaska too?!
Can’t pack out any rosey palms?
Too much snow right now. Most areas up here will not open for sheds till around june 10th. But I’m going mountain goat hunting next month. Just relaxing this weekend, birthday party today.

It’s a lot of fun seeing hossy all worked up ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom