Nothing to hunt for 3 months

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-09 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]I'm looking for a good yote spot. The valley where I live has been populated with some non-yoters if you will, over the years. All the ranches I hunted as a kid are "trophy" properties now. I'm still gonna hit the public stuff, but the best dog hunting is on the private. Cracks me up as these transplants continue to "ranch" but don't allow any predators to be harvested. No Montana rancher worth his saddle would allow a coyote to live. And wolves... mtmuley Oh yeah, hey Larry, that brass has been stoked with 40 gr Hornady V-Max's. Devastating.

are you sure that the ranchers hate coyote's that much? if they farm also, i bet not. we did a perty good job in the 90's around here at knocking down the yote and fox population, guess what happend? rabbits and mice destroyed more than the coyote ever did.

just saying there has to be a balance. not refering at all about the "trophy" property's.

not to rub it in but i am headed out on saturday for a late season cow elk hunt.after that i will satay occupied with coyote hunting,rabbit hunting,trapping,fly fishing and ice fishing plenty of stuff to do this time of year

REDDOG, I'm sure. Lived here dang near my whole life. Rabbits and mice ain't a concern here. Coyotes snatching new calves are. mtmuley

Well you have forgotten;
1. you can hunt for bargains
2. hunt for powder

other than that hammer the song dogs.

"Nothing to hunt for three months"? Only because you live where you do. Out here on the coast, we've still got 10 days of duck season left, then another two for the youth hunt weekend. After that, there's predators (lots of coyotes, bobcast and gray foxes) and crows to shoot. But that's only when you aren't steelhead fishing. Spring turkey season opens in late March, and wild pigs are open year around, all 365 days.

Nothing to hunt? You gotta be kidding me! :D

Nuts, I wouldn't trade living here for the West Coast, EVER. Fishing is fun, but it ain't hunting. Coyotes and foxes are here, but as I said, the best access is difficult. No excuse, I guess. No pigs here either. I'd love to chase them one day though. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-09 AT 01:30PM (MST)[p] HOG HUNTIN FOR BIG BOARS CANT BE BEAT, FUN, EXCITING & CAN BE A REAL WORKOUT.....GOOD TO EAT, & THE WEATHER OUT HERE IS FANTASTIC...COOL IN THE MORN..65 DEGREES IN THE AFTERNOONS WITH LOTS OF SUNSHINE.........YD.

mtmuley
Once you've hunted and tasted wild pig you'll be hooked forever.Kinda like elk hunting.
BTW, how do you manage neck tension when seating those V-Max's in your Rum? LOL

Herb

Herb, V-Max in the RUM? Now your talkin. I found a place where I can purchase .30 cal sabots that hold a .22 cal bullet for handloading. Kinda like the old Remington Accelerator load. How fast ya think those would go? I actually have a coyote load for my RUM using the 125 gr Ballistic Tip going 3875 fps. Pushed em faster but accuracy fell off. mtmuley

Muley. 3875+ fps? I'm surprised they hold together at that speed.Do they explode songdogs?
Someday I'll try some of those myself.Right now I'm still in the process of switching over from H870 to Retumbo in my RUM and haven't gotten the loads quite right yet.
Herb

All I've shot is paper so far with that BT load. Perfect round holes. Accuracy is a surprising 3/4 inch at 100 though. mtmuley

January, February & March.
I'll be hunting chrome with the boy.

3-13.jpg

t1-5.jpg

6-3.jpg

9-7.jpg

tr9.jpg

yyb.jpg

st-4.jpg

53235993zu8.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back