Now with the Utah scope ban. I was thinking my muzzle loader maybe legal in other states ?

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
But my long ranges muzzle loader is a 45 caliber. If I put a peep sight on it. I think that is still not legal in Colorado . What are the other states laws ? One doesn't allow sabots. Maybe Colorado is only 50 caliber ? Some powders are not allowed? Post up all of the states different laws. Trying to find the best direction for my muzzles loader. When I take off my Vortex Gen 2 Viper 5 x 25 x 50 scope . Although I love how it shoots with this set up and may leave it alone. But in the end it is a hunting rifle !

IMG_4287.jpeg

Thanks guys. What about Idaho ? Edit Okay I clicked on the Go hunt link above. Very good information.

Last edited:
NM defines a muzzleloader as: "Sporting arm in which the charge and projectile(s) is loaded through the muzzle. Only blackpowder or equivalent blackpowder substitute may be used. Use of smokeless powder is prohibited. Only open or "iron" sights may be used on muzzleloader, bow or crossbow only hunts (sporting arm type 3). Scopes, red dots or other similar sights are not allowed.

Idaho use to allow inlines that use caps such as White’s. Anything I have seen that used 209 primers would not be allowed in Idaho.

Idaho's always been that way
Inlines are legal they just have to be cap not 209
Maybe not for long,

The House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Ron Mendive just presented H0469, which would prevent Idaho Fish and Game (IDFG) from adopting or enforcing any rule that makes it unlawful to use 209 primers, pelletized powder, or sabots in a muzzleloader-only season. Put simply, IDFG must allow this modern tech in muzzleloader seasons and cannot regulate it. It’s a very specific move to turn a “primitive” 90 yard range weapon into a 200+ yard range weapon.

Maybe not for long,

The House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Ron Mendive just presented H0469, which would prevent Idaho Fish and Game (IDFG) from adopting or enforcing any rule that makes it unlawful to use 209 primers, pelletized powder, or sabots in a muzzleloader-only season. Put simply, IDFG must allow this modern tech in muzzleloader seasons and cannot regulate it. It’s a very specific move to turn a “primitive” 90 yard range weapon into a 200+ yard range weapon.
That fits right in with the proposed legislation that would give outfitters a moose, sheep, or goat tag for shooting a wolf. 😡

Good news.

"Members of the committee appeared moved by testimony from hunters who opposed the legislation and feared it would jeopardize muzzleloader seasons, said Brian Brooks, executive director of the Idaho Wildlife Federation. More than 400 hunters used the federation’s template to submit comments and Brooks said many other hunting organizations also commented on the bill." Eric Barker, Lewiston Tribune

It isn't often, in fact, it's VERY rare, that a Chairmen's bill get rejected in his own committee.
Legislators were heard in the halls afterwards saying "we didn't expect them to show up like that."

Well, they can count it. Thank you. This is thanks to you, and we appreciate you.
Daniel Ritz
Communications and Outreach Coordinator, Idaho Wildlife Federation

A bill that would have opened Idaho’s muzzleloader-only hunting seasons to equipment that increases the range and accuracy of the primitive weapons appears to be dead.
House Bill 469 that would forbid the Idaho Department of Fish and Game from regulating the use of sabots, 209 primers and pelletized powder in muzzleloader seasons was held in the Idaho House Resources Committee on Wednesday.
Members of the committee appeared moved by testimony from hunters who opposed the legislation and feared it would jeopardize muzzleloader seasons, said Brian Brooks, executive director of the Idaho Wildlife Federation. More than 400 hunters used the federation’s template to submit comments and Brooks said many other hunting organizations also commented on the bill.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom