NR Elk 2016

BMosh

I know it's a tad early, but I like to gather as much knowledge as I can. I'm looking at potentially elk hunting WY in 2016. I'm not familiar with WY at all. I'll be hunting around Riverton for Deer and Antelope this year for the first time. What I'm looking for are units that I can realistically draw that have access to public lands which aren't considered wilderness. I'm familiar with WY's law regarding nonresidents in wilderness areas. I'd prefer a DIY hunt. I will have 4 points going into the 2016 draw and only rifle hunt. What would I be looking at, realistically? Also, are their multiple choices I can apply for? If so, do I lose my points if I draw something other than my first choice?

Any info is appreciated. PMs are welcomed. Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-14 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p]If you haven't already done so, take a look at the draw odds for both the Regular PP Draw and the higher priced Special PP Draw to see what units 4 PPs was able to draw with close to a 100% chance. Then figure there will probably be some PP creep if you're talking another 2 years before you apply, so those units may take one or more PPs than they did this year and you may need to look at ones that took 3 or less. Finally, find out which of those units have enough accessible public land for your DIY hunt that you are contemplating. If you have enough money, the higher priced draw will probably get you into some pretty decent areas as compared to the regular draw. You also have the opportunity to put down a second and third choice on your application and if you don't get your first choice you don't lose the PPs and may draw one of those choices. Here is the G&F Draw Odds link for 2014 for you to look at for any animal you choose:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001914.aspx

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom