NR general elk regions

Bookhead

Very Active Member
Looks as though they are going to move forward with the non resident general elk regions the draft regulations are posted for it. Can't wait to see what this turns out like for you guys going to get pretty interesting.

Looks as though they are going to move forward with the non resident general elk regions the draft regulations are posted for it. Can't wait to see what this turns out like for you guys going to get pretty interesting.
This might help pressure some in the more popular areas but it will sure stink losing the ability to roam... especially when big fires happen. Being able to move saved my hunt a couple of years ago.

This might help pressure some in the more popular areas but it will sure stink losing the ability to roam... especially when big fires happen. Being able to move saved my hunt a couple of years ago.
I don't think it's going to help much of anything myself they are giving out as many or more tags as they estimated people were already hunting in every region and I think the western regions are gonna go up in points considerably which is going to hurt the DIY guys while the regions with less public land or smaller bulls on average will get easier to draw is my guess

I don't think it's going to help much of anything myself they are giving out as many or more tags as they estimated people were already hunting in every region and I think the western regions are gonna go up in points considerably which is going to hurt the DIY guys while the regions with less public land or smaller bulls on average will get easier to draw is my guess
You may be right on some points but I am thinking about this a little differently. The vast majority of non-residents want to avoid grizzly areas so I see the eastern general tags going up in points. I also take issue with WG&Fs estimates on number of hunters per area simply because the very limited data they collect isn't sufficient to draw accurate conclusions.

You may be right on some points but I am thinking about this a little differently. The vast majority of non-residents want to avoid grizzly areas so I see the eastern general tags going up in points. I also take issue with WG&Fs estimates on number of hunters per area simply because the very limited data they collect isn't sufficient to draw accurate conclusions.
Time will tell the tale just figured I'd post this up because I dont have a dog in this fight and the comment period is open on it

Time will tell the tale just figured I'd post this up because I dont have a dog in this fight and the comment period is open on it
Oh, I hadn't seen the new proposed regions... That is very different than what I thought they were going to be.

Spoke with Brimeyer about why the proposed region numbers are so close to the current estimated numbers for western and southern region given that during the discussion by the TF the reason for changing to regions was resident and Outfitter complaints of too many Gen tag hunters in Greys, Bighorns and SM's. He said that for purposes of the first proposal he wanted to start from a point similar to current and then adjustments could be made after it was implemented. The final region numbers will be determined each year at the season setting meetings similar to how deer regions are held.

Spoke with Brimeyer about why the proposed region numbers are so close to the current estimated numbers for western and southern region given that during the discussion by the TF the reason for changing to regions was resident and Outfitter complaints of too many Gen tag hunters in Greys, Bighorns and SM's. He said that for purposes of the first proposal he wanted to start from a point similar to current and then adjustments could be made after it was implemented. The final region numbers will be determined each year at the season setting meetings similar to how deer regions are held.
Good info thanks

Appreciate that info. Makes sense to start it and then adjust as needed.

Are these regions in effect this year or next? Not possible to do it this year since applications are closed, right?

The vast majority of non-residents want to avoid grizzly areas so I see the eastern general tags going up in points.
Might be wishful thinking there. I suppose a few hunters are so worried about big bad Griz that they apply someplace they'd really rather not hunt- but I don't think it's anywhere near a vast majority.

But heck- if it is true, I've suddenly become a big fan of grizzly expansion! :ROFLMAO:

Might be wishful thinking there. I suppose a few hunters are so worried about big bad Griz that they apply someplace they'd really rather not hunt- but I don't think it's anywhere near a vast majority.

But heck- if it is true, I've suddenly become a big fan of grizzly expansion! :ROFLMAO:
I can't remember where I saw the survey but it was in the neighborhood of 80% of elk hunters that specifically avoided areas that held a grizzly population. I'll see if I can find it.

A person could easily find non-grizzly, gen elk hunting in any one of the three proposed regions.

Honestly am shocked that so many folks are that concerned. But then again, if you haven't been in that country you might be thinking it's a grizzly behind every bush or something.

Honestly am shocked that so many folks are that concerned. But then again, if you haven't been in that country you might be thinking it's a grizzly behind every bush or something.
It's the one grizzly that is behind the bush that worries most.

It's the one grizzly that is behind the bush that worries most.
I've never been face to face, but sure have been close. About 20 years ago, was bow hunting elk. The ground was dry, but a quick front came through and started dropping a skiff of snow. I was walking up to a steep canyon, looked around then returned back the way I came. I went 100 yards and there in the snow were grizzly tracks, not 2 min old. They came from a spruce circle (you know those almost teepee looking ones with bare ground in the middle). That grizz just waited for me to walk by and then ambled on behind me. I had no gun at the time, and honestly was pretty nervous- so headed straight to the biggest opening I could find to collect myself!

I think for some it's the fear of getting attacked but for many its all the extra work that goes into a hunt in bear country. It can be a pain.

I've hunted some places where they were pretty concentrated to certain areas. Not my favorite type of hunting. I like to enjoy the hunt itself not looking over my shoulder the whole time but that's just me guess I'm a wimp. I have been bluff charged before stopped at about 10 yards not my favorite thing to deal with.

I've hunted some places where they were pretty concentrated to certain areas. Not my favorite type of hunting. I like to enjoy the hunt itself not looking over my shoulder the whole time but that's just me guess I'm a wimp. I have been bluff charged before stopped at about 10 yards not my favorite thing to deal with.
Completely get it. I feel the same way about the old Newberg style of hunting pockets of public surrounded by private or close to the public/private interface. Some folks deal with the issues just fine, like seeing animals that you cant shoot, negative landowner interactions, retrieval if it runs off, sheriffs being called, etc. I would much rather be able to just hunt everything I can see, wander as I see fit and not have to deal with the private land hassles. To each there own.

Completely get it. I feel the same way about the old Newberg style of hunting pockets of public surrounded by private or close to the public/private interface. Some folks deal with the issues just fine, like seeing animals that you cant shoot, negative landowner interactions, retrieval if it runs off, sheriffs being called, etc. I would much rather be able to just hunt everything I can see, wander as I see fit and not have to deal with the private land hassles. To each there own.
Yes sir I agree with that too I guess people can decide what they feel like dealing with and go hunt. I feel like allot grizzly areas aren't terrible and then there are some areas that are pretty bad. For me allot of it is the type of terrain it is. If it's open enough I can see them from a distance not so bad but heavy timber and knowing you have to share the same trails as them and having bear tracks over your boot tracks constantly isn't allot of fun to me and the stress of dealing with downed game in grizz country amplifies it for me

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom